Let's be clear, there will be no MBP redesign in the short term.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snaky69, Feb 23, 2011.

1. snaky69 macrumors 603

The "new" unibody design is machined from billet aluminum, the production of it started in 2008.

Seeing as how each machine used in the various steps to machine the unibody cost a few million dollars each(there are probably more than one of each, since there are probably more than one plant building them), it would be stupid(read economically unviable) for Apple to simply ditch them in favour of a case redesign that would add nothing of value to the current offerings.

The previous design(non unibody) came to us from the powerbook days(back then Apple still used PowerPC processors) It lasted 7 years, from early 2001 all the way to February 26th, 2008. The unibody design came out on October 14th, 2008.

The current design is thus, not yet even 3 years old. Absorbing the cost of million dollar equipment in billion dollar facilities takes some time, thus we are not likely to see any major design change to the MBP line in the near future.

Take that as you will.

2. thepf macrumors newbie

This is what I've been thinking all along, everyone running with their hands on their hands screamin 'likwid metalz', any drastic design change is atleast 2 years away. What was really annoying is the people complaining about the looks of the unibody pro, saying its becoming outdated etc; hello? it still looks miles ahead of all its peers.

3. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

Agreed on all counts. I even still think my non-unibody one is sexy as hell.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the current look of the MBP rocks ... these are not like Cars where you need to change the look of it every year ... if you want a laptop that changes design every year ... may I suggest a PC :cool:

5. simsaladimbamba

I think you are confusing the Titanium PowerBook G4 and the Aluminium PowerBook G4.
    The Ti PB (TiBook) was released in 1/2001, the Al PB in 1/2003.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nevertheless, it took Apple quite a while, but since they have the money and make more every day (exponentially), a redesign might not take another five years, but could arrive in 2012.

6. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm not saying it's not happening, on the contrary. I'm just saying it's not happing within the next 6 months to a year, at the very least.

7. simsaladimbamba

And I am not saying that it will happen in the next months or so too. I was just pointing out, that seven years is not the same as five years.
    The Al PB/MBP stayed with us for a very long while, but I guess Apple didn't want to piss off that many people with a new look AND a new CPU architecture.

8. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

There is also the fact that there is nothing inherently wrong with the current design, in fact, many other companies are imitating it. Some Sony Vaio's look very similar, the HP Envy is a blatant copy... etc.

9. axu539 macrumors 6502a

While a full redesign probably won't happen until at least 2012 (my money is on Liquidmetal, once Apple has a manufacturing process all worked out), it's very possible for Apple to make refining touches on the current unibody design. I'm sure making a little bit more tapering, or rounding off of edges, etc, are not terribly difficult to implement, if the overall body design is roughly the same.

10. Davichi macrumors 6502

I mean, they are updating MBP like tomorrow. So, no they won't be redesign until MBP is ready for a new update.

I think there will be a redesign end of this year or early next year in 2012.

The problem is people are worried that their MBP will be outdated not in terms of power, but looks as well.

Take that from what you will. I have MBA and I am getting MBP sometime end of this year or early next year. Until then, I am good.

11. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

If the machining equipment being used is the one I'm thinking of, it's just a matter of adding a few lines of code to the CNC program, do a test piece, and if it checks out, press "cycle start" and go get a coffee while it does it's thing.

12. snaky69, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

13. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

This thread is starting to make me wonder how Apple will manage to make the MBP look even better, let's be honest here, it's quite the sleek laptop as it is.

14. rand007 macrumors newbie

Unibody MacBooks are machined from a piece of billet aluminum. The same machines will make a redesigned version without any physical machine changes.

15. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Yep that's exactly what I'm thinking. When the major redesign does come, it'll probably be for Liquidmetal, which has to be molded vs. just machining.

16. intelgrande macrumors member

These threads get old real fast. Everybody is Steve Jobs. Everyone knows everything. blah blah blah Unless you're making the decisions and know the limitations of the machinery inside and out, how you can be "clear" about anything?

And who's to say that said machines aren't programmed to machine whatever design you want? Maybe the MacBook Air is machined in the same factories, utilizing the same "million dollar" tools?

What if the purchase of $50 million in new machines will yield far higher margins and allow for a redesign? Would Apple simply say "nope we spent millions on the last machines, we need to get more juice out of them"? That wouldn't make business sense...

Again, these threads are a total waste of time because it's pure speculation based on nothing more than guesses, which when you think about it, is probably a step below rumors which are generally based on some factual evidence.

17. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

That is, if the new design is machinable. It all depends on how they want it to look. If they want to keep going the machining way, then you are absolutely and totally right.

18. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

These comments get old real fast, everybody is a forum god, blah blah blah.

I'm just trying to sift some of the crap "WE WANT A REDESIGN!1!11one" post to get down to the good old macrumors with speculation, helpful posts and some humor here and there, which we are seeing less and less of.

Your comments as to the machining equipment is true, if and only if the new design is machinable. The new liquid-metal alloys apple bought need to be molded first, I believe they are machinable afterwards, I'm not aware if they can be cold-worked or not, etc. It all depends.

If you did not want to waste your time, you could've just skipped the thread and read something else, you chose to answer it instead, please don't come in here whining.

19. eddieaus macrumors regular

Powerbook sales figure was so poor back in the days, of course it would take Apple years and years to get investment back. not the same case with the unibody macbook pro.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

You are probably correct ... same machines that fabricate Aluminum Car Rims from a single block of Aluminum.

Put in the new specs ... voila a new design :cool: