Let's be honest, there will be no "iPhone 5"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aperry, Oct 5, 2011.

1. aperry macrumors 6502a

Because the 4s is the 5th generation iPhone. The next iPhone will either be iPhone 6, or some entirely different name. It would be ridiculous to name the 6th generation "iPhone 5" unless the 5 has some other meaning entirely. Amiright?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do we really care what they call it?
    I don't see that it makes any difference

3. Pooshka macrumors 65816

4. rkahl macrumors 65816

iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S

See the pattern?

5. BamaATL macrumors member

iPhone
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone Universe S3

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

7. Dubthedankest, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

Dubthedankest macrumors regular

Exactly. I've heard people bandying about the name "iPhone 5" for the 6th generation handset likely coming out a year from now, but it won't be 5 because that won't make any sense. It'll be the iPhone 6, as in sixth-generation iPhone.

The only reason the second-generation iPhone was called the "iPhone 3G" is because it was adding 3G wireless capabilities. Then there was the speedier 3GS, as the third-generation phone. Then it just so happened that we were on the fourth-generation handset so it became the "iPhone 4".

It's just that the second phone was named for the current cellular network generation and not the current phone generation and it threw things off. If the next iPhone is the iPhone 5 things become even more confusing because you have to subtract 1 from the generation it is, which is just ridiculous. Hence, iPhone 6.

Along this same line of thinking, we could see the same thing happen with the iPad next year. Will the third-generation iPad be the "iPad 3" (named for the third-generation of the iPad) or the "iPad 4G" (named for the fourth-generation cellular networks)?

Hopefully they go with iPad 3, because otherwise we'd go from iPad 4G (third-gen) to iPad 4 (fourth-gen) which would be confusing.

Or there's the "iPad 2 Plus" or "iPad 2 Pro" that were thrown about previously.

8. supervelous macrumors 6502

I think the next one will be called Iphone 4G, I think that'll be their big update, support for 4G networks, a new design, and an upgraded processor and camera megapixel bump.

9. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

I think that makes sense also, the name that is.

10. aperry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, no. There is no real pattern except that every now and then they release an "S" model with the same form factor and improved specs.

This is the naming convention:
    iPhone (first generation)
    iPhone 3G (second generation, named purely after the network type)
    iPhone 3Gs (third generation, given "s" for speed, but named after the 3G because it caries the same form factor)
    iPhone 4 (fourth generation, and named because it's fourth generation. Contrary to what you seem to believe, it has nothing to do with "3G+1", which makes no sense.)
    iPhone 4s (fifth generation, given the "s" for speed, but named after the 4 because it's so similar)

11. rkahl macrumors 65816

I see your point, but let me pull out my crystal ball. Let me get back with ya.