Let's be honest... who downgraded?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jynto, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

I wanted to like Mavericks, and there is very little not to like, except for one big word: compatibility. Here is a list of the culprits.

* XtraFinder - I know we have tabs in Finder now, but I prefer XtraFinder's implementation of them. It has a few more features I like, such as cut and paste.
    * Skype - quits unexpectedly, dead, every time I launched it. Has anyone else had problems with Skype?
    * Various customisation tweaks - including unsanity77's Dock Mod, Lion Designer, Flavours, and Obsidian Menu Bar (one menu bar goes black, but the other stays white, ughh).
    * NoisyTyper - because sometimes I'm immature and want my Macbook to make typewriter sounds.
    * Parallels 7 - I really wish I hadn't wasted £35 upgrading to Parallels 9, since it now looks like I'm not going to need it.

Most of these will eventually be made compatible, but that could take months. Lion Designer and NoisyTyper will probably never be updated for 10.9, because their developers are doing other things now.

There are other annoyances in there too. In Finder, I no longer have an option to sort a folder full of photos so the jpegs were separate from the raws. If I use 'arrange by...' to sort them by kind, it just puts all the raws and the jpegs on one row.

For me, the most important feature of Mavericks was multiple monitor support, but even that began to bother me after a while. If I drag a desktop space from one screen to the other, all the windows are suddenly the wrong size. And I don't see the point in having two menu bars for two monitors, full stop. It's an unnecessary waste of screen pixels.

None of these things in isolation would have ruined it for me, but all of them combined with fact that none of the new features really excited me. You can call me a luddite, but I don't think I'll upgrade again until the positives outweigh the negatives. Luckily for me, I restored the entire system from backup. Thank god Apple is still signing 10.8.

2. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

Several times. I keep trying to live with the minor glitches, get fed up and go back to ML. Then like someone insane, doing the same thing expecting a different result; I say "Well, let me clean install Mavs again...."

Slide023:eek:

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I haven't yet, but I will if either Apple or Chrome doesn't fix a glitch I'm having with 2 of my most used extensions, Google Voice and Lastpass. When I click on Google Voice's extension icon, it closes Chrome most of the time. Click on the Lastpass extension icon, it opens a small blank window some of the times. It's very annoying.

4. KhunJay macrumors 6502

KhunJay

5. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

* Use TotalFinder, which works as it should under Mav. Sometimes paying for software helps to support the developer to keep their software updated. TotalFinder actually had a Mavericks compatible release out 4 days before the official launch.
    * Skype - no problems, are you sure you have installed the latest version? I have Version 6.9 (517) and it doesn't appear to have any issues for me.
    * Tweaks - don't use them, but these always take a bit of time as people try to figure out what changed under the hood.
    * Built in feature: go to preference > accessibility > keyboard, and turn on slow keys. Open options and reduce delay to minimum and turn on click sounds. Drives me nuts though. LOL :)
    * We're at Parallels 9 by now. You can't expect software to work and be supported indefinitely. Get over it and upgrade. It's better and significantly faster than 7 anyway.

:)

6. Jynto thread starter macrumors 6502

Jynto

I'd pay for XtraFinder if I could. I tried TotalFinder, but some of the features were missing or broken on 10.9. If you open a folder in a new tab (from the context menu) the OS X tabs appear below the TotalFinder ones. TotalFinder still lacks middle-click support.

I thought my old version was the culprit... until I downloaded the current version from Microsoft's website, and it still crashed when I tried to run it. Restoring it to default settings in AppCleaner didn't help either.

Huh, did not know about that. I still prefer this though. :)

Allow me to explain. My only issue with Parallels 9 is the cost, which I already paid. Your very helpful advice is wasted on me. Furthermore, I do not respect anyone who tells me to 'Get over it and upgrade.' I am not a bloody Cyberman.

7. mattym123 macrumors newbie

I have for the time being, when either the first or second point release hits, ill retry, My battery drained really fast yet i'm on a late 2012 13' retina.

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

No problems with Mavx, though I'm tempted to downgrade from Pages v5, as there is a clear, massive loss of function.

9. 844957 Suspended

If I find the time I'm going to downgrade my iMac because of the quicktime bugs and the way they changed quicktimex so it no longer plays anything other than h264. Plus no previews or thumbnails in finder for most of my videos is NUTSO.

i will keep it on my macbook air because I'm crazy and because i don't do as much "work" just web and MS Word for note taking.

10. meme1255 macrumors 6502

11. macred macrumors regular

After getting hosed with iOS 7 bugs, I'm reminded that upgrading early is a stupid move.

12. z06gal macrumors 6502

Going back has not even crossed my mind. Mavx is outstanding for me :)

13. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't respect anyone who complains about old software not running on a new OS. ;) :D Seriously, it's a known fact that new OS's break software. That software will need to be upgraded. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Some of these upgrades are free, others are not. If you can't upgrade, don't want to upgrade, or can't afford to upgrade software packages, that is a most excellent reason to stay with your old OS. It is not that your computer all of a sudden stops working once a new OS hits the market. But don't complain about it. It's a completely valid (and hopefully conscious) choice people make, but it is still a choice. Then again, I would also expect people to check before upgrading if their software is compatible so they don't run into problems, instead of blindly hitting the install button and breaking stuff, so what do I know.