Let's be honest... Who really uses FaceTime?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InsanelyApple, Dec 8, 2010.

1. InsanelyApple, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Who really uses FaceTime? I asked a lot of people I know with the iP4 and only one said yes. So do you use FaceTime?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, I don't know anyone else with an iPhone 4
    My GF has a 3GS

3. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It's not something that would be used for every call. But let's say somebody travels somewhere, then it would be nice to share the place with friends, etc. So around winter time, I wouldn't expect much use of Face Time.

For me, I don't personally know anyone else with an iPhone 4 (personally meaning I don't know any friends or family members with an iPhone 4.) If I did, I would use it a lot when travelling to let them know how I'm doing, where I am, etc.

4. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

No, I don't use it. But it's a selling point as people will generally see "ohh video calling" and use it as another factor to convince themself that they want the iPhone 4.

The fatal flaw of Facetime is that it does not, as of yet, support cross-platform video chat over 3G. I don't care whose fault this is, the fact that this is not supported will imply that it is not used all that often.

6. planetwave2000 macrumors member

planetwave2000

Steve Jobs uses facetime with his buddy, Phil. Har har har. :)

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I've used it a few times to test with family and friends, but I've never actually used it for real.

8. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 and a Mac, my brother has an iPhone 4, and one of my friends also has an iPhone 4...not used FaceTime once.

9. deeesea macrumors 6502

Facetime? What's that? jk

I used it.. ONCE in a real life situation. Used 3G unrestrictor and facetimed a local baseball game to my friend in Montreal. only time i've ever used it.

10. barkingDog macrumors regular

5x per week. Once a day -- during the workweek.

GF has an iPod Touch 4G, plus WiFi at work for employees to use during breaks. So it saves her on using up cell minutes.

She didn't buy the iPod w/FaceTime as the selling point -- but it turned into a useful feature.

11. djon41 macrumors regular

I've used it several times with a friend who has the newest iPod Touch.

12. carlgo macrumors 68000

Just out of curiosity, what kind of connection do you need to make this feature actually work? It seems that only a fraction of my regular old cell phone calls are really clear and crisp for the duration of the call. I am guessing that the video part would really need a perfect connection to work.

I'm guessing this feature only works in a limited number of locations.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I only use it with one other person frequently and another person every now and then. This is because most people I know don't have the iP4 and facetime isn't on other devices or computers yet.

But I use the front facing camera very frequently(almost daily) with the Yahoo Messenger app. Anyone can be on their PC/Mac or any mobile device that Yahoo made an app for.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just used it recently for the first time. My mother-in-law was in the hospital and my wife was visiting her. The hospital had wifi and was able to FaceTime with my wife. It was pretty cool.

15. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I use it 2-3 times a week. I think it's a fantastic feature.

16. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

I use it for tutoring. I tutor about a dozen high school students in math and science and it is often very convenient to use facetime because it is very common for students to have either an iphone,ipod touch or mac.

17. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

if we could use it over 3G i would use it a lot more...

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I use it. I'm 17. My mom lives 300 miles away and we both have iPhone 4s. My mom often jokes that we could be on one the tacky-yet-touching Facetime commercials for Apple. :)

19. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I use FaceTime with 3G Unrestrictor all of the time. I thought I would not care about it but I love it now.

20. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I travel overnight every few weeks and would use it, except that I am hoarding the MBP and iPhone 4 for myself, and they both travel with me. The wife and kids are stuck with an old Dell with Skype. :p

21. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I use it quite frequently with some of my friends who have ip4's... nice feature, but not an every day feature.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

I use FaceTime multiple times a day..... with my mother and my sister. We don't live in the same city. My Mom wants to see her grandson as often as possible, and my sister and I want to see our nephews as often as possible.

I, too, could be one of those sappy FaceTime commercials........

23. uneek1 macrumors regular

I used it to test it out, with someone in the same room as me. I haven't touched it since.

24. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I use it with my parents for long distance chats, sometimes I use it and just leave it connected with family when I'm sitting at my desk so if anyone wants a quick word/chat I'm right there.

It's also useful as an intercom around the house since there's good wireless everywhere.

25. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I've used it maybe 5 times since I got the iPhone 4 on June 23rd.