Let's be honest...will the average user see a difference with the new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by henryonapple, Oct 29, 2012.

1. henryonapple macrumors 6502

Will the average user see a noticeable difference in terms of system performance if they upgraded to a 2012 iMac from a 2011?

When I say average user, I am referring to the typical functions of email, web browsing, picture & video viewing (high quality), lightweight photo & video editing, watching 1080p videos...etc.

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

If no fusion drive, and assuming the 21" base with that sexy 5400 RPM drive: Yes.

3. wmy5 macrumors regular

Who cares for performance? It's insanely THIN!!!

4. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

that bulge in the back isn't so attractive though :p

5. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

?que?

6. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

Yes, exactly, that's why I just got a 2011 baseline unit. My old PC laptop has been running a 7200rpm drive and I'm not about to downgrade that feature.

7. kennyap macrumors regular

With comparable configurations, yeah I think most will say they believe the new iMac is faster. But it'll be mostly psychological just knowing the components are all slightly faster.

8. toua macrumors newbie

can't really fathom throwing over 1.5K out without basic knowledge of the iMAC spec. Then again, does the average user have that much to throw away 0r I'm just frugal

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

depending on what you do, the new one may be slower. The big step back is going from a 7200 rpm hard drive to 5400. I'm stunned that they did this, as hard drive speed is the bottleneck for many common tasks. The new one has a faster processor and better graphics, but for what you described, neither machine would be taxed at all. If you edited a lot of video, processed many huge RAW files, or played graphics-intensive games, you would probably see an improvement.

The fusion drive will be faster than last year's hard drive, probably much faster. But it's what, a $250 option? So not really apples to apples.

10. excommie macrumors regular

The major difference that ALL users will see will be the quality of the display. After all the issues are worked out, the new displays will be superior. On paper, they look impressive, we'll see how they look in real life.

11. chris1987 macrumors member

People are blowing this 5400RPM HDD out of proportion.

Sure, in theory, it's slower, and it probably will be slower.

HOWEVER, we do not know how slow (if at all) it will be. And would the average user notice this speed decrease? Probably not. We'll be talking milliseconds if they are saving small(ish) images etc.

12. Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

Meh, I won´t even notice that bulge! nor how thin it is either :p

13. leman macrumors 604

The 5400rpm drive is most likely the WD Green, and a reason why Apple choose it is because it uses less power. The drives itself are actually rather snappy. BTW, it will adapt the rpm as required.

To the original question: probably not, no.

14. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

Yes, after all my thrashing on them going to a 5400rpm drive, a friend of mine set me straight on different types of drives. I guess that's not such a deal breaker after all. I'm still happy I got my 2011 iMac (came in today) being able to upgrade RAM and having a fw port, OD, at a great price.

I wouldn't be upset w/ the 2012 either. I'm sure it'll be a nice machine. I'm just glad I got mine when I did; my PC died last night!

15. k.alexander macrumors regular

k.alexander

Can you share in the knowledge...?

16. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

He said a lot, what I remember is some 5400's have more heads on them, may spin slower but are more efficient.

17. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

18. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I agree. I have one and it's fast.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm probably an average user and I'm torn between the 2012 and a refurb 2011. Main reason is by the time you add on all the extras it's gonna be best part of £2000. I was gonna get the 21" but the no upgrade on the RAM and slower standard HD means 16 GB of RAM from apple and a Fusion drive.
    If I went for a 2011 I could upgrade the RAM myself and save £100 or so. Problem is you can't buy refurb with an SSD which would be my ideal. That said you can't by the 2012 with an SSD only unless you can afford the 27".

20. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Once the average user try to put a CD or DVD into the side ... There is a difference. Beside that based on what you mentioned: with the support of GPU power for video tasks it will be a cute, nice looking iMac.

21. bobright macrumors 601

There has been HANDS ON reviews already, forget the publisher but a review I read said the screen looks "Retina-like"

22. icapricorn macrumors member

I think we should call it the iHunchback.

23. hkfan24 macrumors regular

or iBulge

24. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Funny :D how Schiller went out of his way during iMac's announcement not to show the bulge.

25. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, but the marketing worked. a lot of my uninformed friends think the new iMac is a thing piece of sheet metal :p