Lets be serious -- file size !

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by aicul, May 31, 2010.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

I have just encountered an App that weighs in at 1.7GB.

I bought this before a flight because I thought it would be fun to use on the flight.... it did not load in time.

So before I found out what the problem was... I repetitively saw a excruciatingly slow progress bar. Asked myself if it was not the network, or my new iPad, or something else.

Honestly, what does it take to WARN people that the app is GIGANTIC ? So that the purchase can be made on appropriate infrastructure/timing? Particularly when the application costs approx. $10.

Admittedly there is a file size in the App store info panels, but a large majority load in no time. So something as immense as 1.7Gb should have some form of special warning.

So here I am with iTunes telling me I have to wait 3 hours !!!

Absolute ridiculous

- of Apple not warning of the delay to upload the App
    - of the App editor of not warning in the description of the size

:confused:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Care to name the app in question?

Biggest ones I've seen are the navigation apps, but I figure people know what they're getting into with those. I've never heard of a general entertainment or game app that big though.

4. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi

I do not know what to say about your cheeky answer Gav2k except that I had mentioned your point in my statement.

You apparently fail to understand that most humans go by generailty, like Gwynne correctly points out.

So writing the file size is not sufficient, one should draw peoples attention to file size when this is useful. Just like Apple warns you when you try to load a big app 20mb (or 40 I forget) of 3G.

The point is 1.7gb requires a warning before purchase, standard text available for ALL apps is not a warning.

5. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would prefer not to mention the app to avoid pointless anti-publicity as the issue is not the App itself.

However this is a general knowledge app for iPad - it is not a game.

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

The developer should warn you, not Apple. I was just looking at Ndrive, and they have just such a warning.

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Only thing I know that's that big would be The Elements. But frankly i've got little sympathy here, you were installing an app before a flight so you were time limited and you didn't think to check the file size? If it's that big it had to be media rich so there'd have to be hints in the content itself that you were about to load something big.

Sorry but apple should only warn if you don't have space to install what you're about to purchase. The dev should maybe give a warning but I'm not sure it'd make a difference as that info is listed anyway.

8. pooryou macrumors 65816

OP you expect people to read your posts/threads but you won't read the description before buying an app?

9. Durious macrumors 6502

Well said

10. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

What a totally ridiculous rant. Complaining that you're not warned of the file size that is noted right there underneath the app icon in the app store? What is wrong with you, you couldn't be bothered to move your eyeballs an inch to the left??? Do you need your hand held through everything in life?

11. Macpowered macrumors member

Macpowered

Stop whining. Read the description before buying next time.

[​IMG]

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

My point exactly. Every app has a filesize when you goto the discription page.