Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
What are the chances that any of the hundreds of people who have downloaded these files would record with the new apple headphones? Anyone out there want to volunteer? :)

sfs

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Does anyone know if there is (or is planned) a headset with line-in recording? My iPod mic from days of yore had it, and I loved it.

semin28

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
Griffin smart talk.Best mic ever. This things makes my voice sounds better then it is. And if u have the beat maker app and a mic it is amazing what u can do. A MC dream come true.

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
a little search

I did a Google search for "walmart canada", selected "English", then did a search on their site for "microphone" and found this:

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/st...e=null&departmentId=70&categoryId=384&tabId=1

And I did this from the comfort of my couch somewhere in the good ol' USA. Ahhh... the power of the internet! ;)

Sorry for the sarcasm! Couldn't help it.

Based on the lack of response to your polite requests, I think you may have to be the innovator here. Hopefully, $27.77 is cheap for you if they won't let you try it in the store or return it after use. Then you could post your findings here for your fellow Canadians.

convert2mac

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
If people would still like to get an Apple Mic sample recording...

My wife just bought a iPhone....I have a 2nd gen Touch. I will try to make a recording tonight on my iPod Touch using her apple buds with mic.

I stumbled across this thread today...I will be looking for that phillips mic today at lunch. (Yesterday I cracked my headphones standing up...hard to explain.) Anyway, I need to get new headphones anyway.

linkycat

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Yes, we'd love to have an apple recording. When you get the recording finished, PM me and I'll get them posted in the original thread.

Thanks!

bill1977

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
When I saw this thread in December, I really hoped it would progress... who would've thought the market for mics would be so dire for this. I kept putting off getting the Philips (which sounded best to me out of the three tested here) mic at Target and now they are sold out for good...not even popping up on eBay with daily saved searches.

anyhow...I was excited to try out some of the 4-track apps for throwing down rough drafts of song ideas (acoustic, occasionally vox) yet here I am 4 months later, mic-less.

I found this site... I thought you guys would be interested, but I have no idea if their idea of "high quality" would mesh with mine (or yours).

http://touchmic.com/

I don't think the Griffin clip on is worth it..but I'm wondering if I should settle, or give these touchmic guys a chance. I don't see any genuine reviews anywhere

geokost

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Mount Ida, AR

geokost

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Mount Ida, AR
I received my ThumbTack mic yesterday. So far after testing with QuickVoice Pro, it works well. I have noticed after doing a few recordings that it picks up well but, when replaying, you have to run the volume up real high.

Perfect for taking voice notes while on the go. Does not get in the way.

You do have to remove the mic from the iPod to listen to it with the internal speaker, or, just plug your earphones in.

I have also tried it with iTalk free version, and operates the same way. Picks up well, but you have to run the volume up real high to hear it. So, that tells me it is the mic and not the application.

I am not affiliated with either of these, ThumbTack, QuickVoice Pro, or iTalk.

Have fun.

bill1977

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
Thanks for the report.. sounds alright -- I may have to pick one up for a spare.

I'll review any mic I may end up getting from touchmic.com, if the guy gets back to me on my question.

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
I was just gonna start a thread on the Thumb Tack with some questions, so I'm glad I avoided a flaming by looking here first...
flamed.gif

Have you by any chance tried the Thumb Tack with Ocarina?

Do you have any idea how if might do for recording live musical instruments?
I have a sideline making exotic hardwood pennywhistles and this would be really handy for recording sound clips.
What simple software app could I use for that purpose? What file format is the output? Thanks.

geokost

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Mount Ida, AR
I was just gonna start a thread on the Thumb Tack with some questions, so I'm glad I avoided a flaming by looking here first...
flamed.gif

Have you by any chance tried the Thumb Tack with Ocarina?

Do you have any idea how if might do for recording live musical instruments?
I have a sideline making exotic hardwood pennywhistles and this would be really handy for recording sound clips.
What simple software app could I use for that purpose? What file format is the output? Thanks.

A quick app to try would be iTalk, the free one. To me it sounds and plays just like QuickVoice Pro.

I personally have not tried it with Ocarina.

I emailed myself through QuickVoice, and it was sent as a CAF file. I backed my files up and they backed up as CAF files.

I think the mic would do fine if you were playing right in front of it.

BTW, I have not been on this forum very long, but I have noticed that you can flamed for about anything, so, I really wouldn't worry about that.

Hope some of this information helps.

George.

geokost

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Mount Ida, AR
Update on ThumbTack mic.

One small update about the ThumbTack. It is small. Make sure your pockets are cleaned out before tossing them into the wash.

I am drying mine out under a lamp. It still records, but I do not know about the long term effect on it. We'll see.

bill1977

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
Linkycat: you may want to add this link to your post at the beginning of this thread.

Ok, the guy who runs touchmic.com got back to me and told me the mightymic would probably be my best bet for music ideas/demos... and he sent me a link to a blog who recently reviewed this mic WITH audio samples! That is a huge bonus.

http://www.unexpectedidea.com/ipod-touch-mitymic-review-audio-samples/

It should work with the popular mic apps, but I'm not sure if Sonoma's 4-track app will work since they have a specific list of compatible mics, but it may.. (my main reason for wanting to try one of their mics, as I now have the griffin lapel mic that isn't that great for this).

What do you guys think? Should I hold off on this? What about the Macally mics? Any feedback would be appreciated..

jmvideo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
Those samples sound good, but, with Bluetooth now on 3.0, is it worth getting a plug-in mic?

Isn't it likely that there'll be, or is, a Bluetooth alternative that'll permit the speaker to work at the same time?

Any thoughts?

Regards

John

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Those samples sound good, but, with Bluetooth now on 3.0, is it worth getting a plug-in mic?
As far as I can tell, no bluetooth headset mics work with 3.0 on a 2nd gen Touch. I have several sets and none work. Perhaps some clever developer will come up with the necessary protocal that'll suddenly make them work. For the moment I'd invest in a plug-in-mic. I discovered the earbud/mic that came with my Samsung Instinct Phone works great with the Touch. $20, and cheaper than what Apple sells. The recordings sound great.

Edit: The Samsung headset button doesn't pause/play or advance tracks. It does something unusual though. Hold it down and it'll move the volume level to 50% until you release it. Doesn't matter where your volume was set before pressing the button. I can't imagine what the point of this "feature" would be, but it's obviously something the Touch recognizes as a command.

WJR

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Philips Iphone Mic

I cannot find the Philips Iphone Mic / microphone adapter anywhere. Target doesn't show it online so I assume that the stores don't have it either but in all honesty I haven't looked yet. Anyone know where I can find one? (It seemed from the tests to be pretty good and you couldn't beat the price)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I'm also looking for an adapter that will let me use a conventional Microphone (with a 3.5mm mono plug) and my favorite headphones with the Touch. Yes, I've searched. All I've come across so far include a mic and let you add your headphones

Those interested in other apps... look up audioboo.fm. It's a site and an app that lets you post your recordings online.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I'm also looking for an adapter that will let me use a conventional Microphone (with a 3.5mm mono plug) and my favorite headphones with the Touch. Yes, I've searched. All I've come across so far include a mic and let you add your headphones

Those interested in other apps... look up audioboo.fm. It's a site and an app that lets you post your recordings online.

I've looked for one of those too, I never found anything. Seems rather practical though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.