Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
For changing icons, to make it easier for your self try using LiteIcon app, it's free.

I also use an app called Candybar for icon management purposes and applying png icons (candybar makes it easier to apply it). Candybar no longer developed nor supported so don't try to use any other features if you decide to use it.

Bartender for managing(hiding/sorting) menubar icons.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Bartender for managing(hiding/sorting) menubar icons.

Never used Bartender, what does it offer? You can hide icons via their prefpane or settings and Cmd + Click and Drag menubar icons to move them.

Is there any other advantage to it? I'm interested in Apps that offer anything in the realm of customization.

midniter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Here is the zip file for Trash can. The instructions are in the <Read Me> file.

Attachments

• macProTrash.zip
    219.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
Never used Bartender, what does it offer? You can hide icons via their prefpane or settings and Cmd + Click and Drag menubar icons to move them.

Is there any other advantage to it? I'm interested in Apps that offer anything in the realm of customization.
Some menubar items are not possible to move with Cmd + dragging, however with bartender you are able to do so and it also saves the order you put them, so they are always in the same order.

Bartender has a menubar icon and hidden items will go there and accessible but not be cluttering the menubar. It's useful if you have so many menubar icons. But according to their web page, in El Capitan this may be difficult though, so I would hold off on buying.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Some menubar items are not possible to move with Cmd + dragging, however with bartender you are able to do so and it also saves the order you put them, so they are always in the same order.

Bartender has a menubar icon and hidden items will go there and accessible but not be cluttering the menubar. It's useful if you have so many menubar icons. But according to their web page, in El Capitan this may be difficult though, so I would hold off on buying.

That sounds pretty useful, namely in keeping them all in the same order. I will look around myself, but are there any free versions? Can you still purchase a license for previous OS versions, namely Snow Leopard?

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
That sounds pretty useful, namely in keeping them all in the same order. I will look around myself, but are there any free versions? Can you still purchase a license for previous OS versions, namely Snow Leopard?
It has a trial period of a month and I believe the latest version would still support the older OS X versions. You can find it here: http://www.macbartender.com

Reactions: Dark Void

Te0SX

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
GhostTile to hide apps from Dock! Really great, use it for some time.

Official Site

Features
  • Hide running applications from Dock, Multiple ways:
    • Drag & Drop
    • Select from /Applicaton folder
    • Click icon on Dock
  • Per app config to hide or add menubar item
  • Per app keyboard shortcut to quick open it
  • Notification for added Apps' Dock activities

• Multiple ways to quick switch back
    • Click on menubar
    • Call out Quick Switch window
    • Alias folder on Dock
  • Keyboard Shortcut support
  • Alfred v2 Workflow support
  • Easy installation
  • Support sandboxed application, no on-disk modification

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
1. Select the file/ folder you want to change the icon.
2. Open the <Get Info> window by pressing (Command + i)
or little 'i' button in Finder window on the top.
3. Get your new .icns icon from internet.
4. Drag the new .icns icon into the <Get Info> window. Up & left corner. Where the old icon is. Drag the new icon into it till u see a lil green '+' and then drop it.

And You are welcome
OH MY DOG this works with apps. If you need me I'll be customising the shiz out of my dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.