Let's design a new UI!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by labrats5, Sep 24, 2008.

1. labrats5 macrumors member

Ok, we all know that that OS X is good, and that the basic WIMP (windows, icon, menu pointer) interface paradigm probably will stick around forever, because most users won't want to adapt to a radically new Ui. That said, if you could start from scratch, what would your dream UI look like?

Some Basic criteria:

Must deal with app launching , window, file and app organization, window layout (a.k.a. the elements present on a generic window), placement of menu bars, and basic finder functionality. If you UI doesn't use one or more of these elements, what is your replacement?

It must deal with the real problems facing modern UIs. Window management and resizing is probably the single biggest problem in the modern OS. So is the "finding all my stuff and where the hell I put it" problem.

It must deal with the current realities of hardware. The biggest issue here is the huge range of screen sizes. While the Microsoft windows "full screen all the time" policy works well enough on small laptops, it is a huge waste of space on a 24 incher. Also, while Voice and multi-touch can be taken into consideration, this UI should be compatible with mouse and keyboard input.

Finally, no pointless glitz. No stupid flip 3d. No crappy 3d rotating cubes. This UI is for people who want to use their computer in the most efficient and intuitive way possible, without taking into consideration the habits formed from previous UIs. Yes, it can not look nice, but not to the point where the form gets in the way of function. This is not for Linux modders who glitz up their UI because they are only going to use CLI anyway, so might as well make things look impressive on that unused GUI.

So how 'bout it? I would love to hear people's ideas. Also, even if you don't have an idea, but simply have an issue with modern UIs that neither OS X or windows adequately answers, please post it so that others can take it into consideration for their ideas.

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Start here. Lots of good ideas.

But I'm not sure I agree with this:

I can't believe anybody is going to switch to your new OS just because you cracked the "window management and resizing" problem. It can be annoying, but OS's have far bigger issues, like security and performance.

mt