Let's face it: E-mail and iMessage notifications simply do not work consistently

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gowanis, Apr 25, 2015.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

I have been trying for a while now to get this to work. I'm aware that if your phone or Mac is in use, the watch is ignored. But even with the Mac and the iPhone dormant, there is no consistency to watch notifications. Sometimes they come through, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I just get the red dot but no tapping. This is really annoying.

2. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

It's version 1 of a version 1 product that just came out 2 days ago

3. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

We all know that. That doesn't mean we can't share some of the problems we're having, does it?

4. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

Not acceptable. E-mail and message notifications are core features.

5. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

No of course we can share

6. Somnospeed macrumors member

My Pebble watch was even worse when I got it. But the updates came and the problems went. The same will be true for this watch.
    That doesn't prevent your post for being relevant today, but don't be surprised if it becomes irrelevant fairly soon.

7. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Then return it and wait until the bugs are worked out.

8. yalag macrumors 65816

What's even more annoying is no way to mark an email or message as read from the notification screen when clearly you have read it.

9. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

What they are trying to pull off is hard. My fenix 3 does not always reliably forward notifications from email and iMessage. I chalk it up to the quirkiness of Bluetooth and wireless communication. However, this is Apple's platform, and the watch has been in development for a long time, and notifications are THE feature. Realistically, they should have spent the time making sure this was perfect instead of working on sending heartbeats and making gold cases.

10. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Was this same forgiveness for a new product given to Pebble, or android? It seems like they were abused by Apple fans for not working correctly from day one. All I ever heard was Apple waits to get it right the first time.

11. arminta7 macrumors regular

arminta7

Messages have been working every time for me. I've been having a lot of problems with mail the last couple days, but that's on every device I have (mac laptop, iPad, 6+ and watch). They haven't been coming through for some reason, been very delayed. So maybe it's a mail issue and not a watch issue?

12. pragmatous macrumors 65816

That's what you get for being an early adopter. Next time don't order it so early . Let people like me get it first. :D

/waiting until JUNE!

13. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Be patient guys, so far, these problems seem like they can be fixed with updates that surely will be coming soon. But yeah, I rather Apple not release stuff until it's ready.

14. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I turned off mail as I receive way to many and got sick of constant notifications. Every text has come through fine so far.

15. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

Resetting my watch and NOT restoring from a backup helped my issues with not receiving text notifications.

16. Azzin macrumors 68040

Exactly the same for me (most of mine were from MacRumors!).

No issues with messages though.

17. wepiii macrumors 6502

You can, just force tap and click "mark read"

18. Leeabe macrumors member

Maybe you aren't ready to be an early adopter?

19. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

That doesn't appear to work (and also shouldn't necessary, really). Force pressing on the notification screen does nothing, but you can do it on the mail screen.

20. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I thought it being a watch was the core feature.. :rolleyes:

21. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

As I get a lot of email I trimmed down the notifications by using VIPs. Now only mail tagged as from a VIP pops a notification on my phone and watch. Messages work fine too.

22. WJKramer macrumors 6502

Let's face it: E-mail and iMessage notifications simply do not work consiste...

For what it's worth; I had serious issues with notifications over the first day similar to what you described. I noticed that when I set my wife's watch up she was notified on all her devices that her iCloud account was activated on this new device. I realized I had not received such notification. I rebooted the phone and watch and immediately got the same notification and now all my notifications come through. Hope this helps.

23. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

yup...while still waiting for my watch, I'm reading about all the issues it has...which pebble had and everyone said "oh the apple watch wont suffer from any of that...apple knows how to get things right"

It's a v1 product but the reading through the forum suggests there are numerous problems

24. beldenben macrumors member

Of course reading through the forums suggests there are numerous problems, the vast majority of people happily enjoying their watch aren't rushing to the forums to start a thread called "Just Got My Watch And Everything Is Super" (although I have seen some threads like that). And the people who are having problems can be broken up even further into groups like people having legitimate problems due to bugs, people having legitimate problems because they don't know what they are doing, people having problems that don't actually exist because they thought the watch was going to do something that it didn't, people who don't even have a watch yet and want to whine about it, and trolls.

25. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

Good to know!