"Let's fix this 6 months dead MBP" we thought

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lyntje, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Lyntje macrumors newbie

Hi there

6 months ago I spilled a whole cup of hot chocolate on my 15 inch Macbook Pro, and yes I freaked out and everything but I'll save you that story. ;)

It still booted, I heard the famous sound, but the screen remained black and at a local Apple store they said repairing it would cost more than a new Macbook Pro, so I bought a new one.

They weren't sure wherether the screen broke or the connection, or some cards inside (note how I say "some cards inside", talking about this does not belong to my comfort zone :)).

A week a go, a guy who had to check my MBP to see if the insurance would pay it back, told us the screen was still ok.

So i started thinking. After the chocolate thingie it still booted, screen appears to be working too, wouldn't it be cool to get this thing fixed? I asked my boyfriend and we kind of made it our Easter Holidays mission. :cool:

Now, of course there are a few problems and things we don't know about. I'll just... make a quick list ;)

1. what product would be the best to clean the inside parts?
    2. i've been using the HD as an external HD for all these months now, would it be enough to make a SuperDuper copy of the HD in my new Macbook Pro (it's exactly the same one) and just put the HD back in?
    3. is it possible to connect an external screen without an OS or being able to see anything on the Macbook screen itself?

That's probably enough for now. I keep this thread updated if people are interested. I'll also post some pictures of the Macbook Pro in its current state if you want to. :)

2. pleuriticus macrumors member

Did that with milk once, and cleaned the system board with some cotton swabs and some alcohol, and then made sure it was dry before I applied power.

You may or may not be able to use it with an external monitor. Your screen could be fine, but assuming your graphics processor is intact, dried hot cocoa could be shorting in a one or more places - some of which might also prevent your external display port from working.

Since you've already assumed it was a total loss, any kind of functionality you get out of it would be a bonus. If someone handed me a notebook like that, I'd be all up in that stuff.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Plugged an External Monitor In?

If it works with an External, Remove the Screen, and you have an Awesome Desktop :L

4. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Try that. If you can hear the boot sound, that means the hard drive is OK. The screen is black so thats definitely finished. I think it may still work with a external monitor...try it and good luck!

5. pleuriticus macrumors member

Actually, the screen itself is probably fine. It could just a short on the connector or somewhere else in the graphics circuitry due to cocoa residue. I'd try to see if I could identify and spot clean anything that looks suspicious in that regard, then if that didn't work, give up and use as a compact desktop.

If you screen really tested good, but some cleaning doesn't make it work, you can take it off, use the system as a compact desktop, and sell the whole screen assembly on ebay!

Then, never, EVER frink an open-top cup of anything over your computer while you're working, and never set an open top cup next to your computer on your desk. Get a cup with a sipping lid or something, so you can't spill so easily - it'll keep your cocoa warmer, anyway.

6. Lyntje thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your support!

It would indeed be a bonus and to be honest, the insurance company paid everything back so yes... bonus all the way. :)

We're going to try it out as soon as possible (I have exams next week, so it will be during the easter holidays). I'm curious :)

I hope it works with an external screen, but to test stuff, we need to know how to plug in an external screen and make it work without playing around with settings in the OS, because as I said, there's no HD inside, I'll have to ghost the HD from my other Macbook Pro. And I don't know wherether that's going to work for the poor half dead thingie.

Edit: most of the hot chocolate drowned the keyboard and it sipped in at the edges so for example where the screen connects. Also, the part where the battery used to be was litteraly drowned with hot chocolate, but as soon as I inserted my battery again to pack it to take it to the Apple store, the thing booted, only 7 hours after the accident. (not the best idea to do that, I was extremely shocked (but in a positive way) when I heard the OSX boot sound thing) :) Only, that was almost 6 months ago, and sugar is evil.