Let's get an iOS 6 review thread going...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by utahman130, Jun 26, 2012.

1. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

iOS 6 has been my operating system for the past few weeks on my 3GS. Here is my review of it. Add yours to this thread!

Speed
    Just about as fast as iOS 5, aside from the keyboard bug that is sure to be totally fixed by the GM. Definitely faster than any jailbreak I have ever been on (Even with launchdaemons and languages removed).

Bugs
    Keyboard sticks sometimes. But, a bug fix that I was looking forward to in Beta 2 was that the "Share Sheet" in Notification Center was fixed. (Didn't have Twitter and Facebook logos on buttons on 3GS.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Podcasts were not downloading, now they are thanks to the stand alone podcast app (Get it now from the App Store!) No new text on blue ribbon in Beta 2, if you want to get picky. Do Not Disturb Mode did not work in Beta 1. Single App Mode did not work in Beta 1.

Design
    Love the new App Store, iTunes Store, and Music redesign! Phone, not so much. Looks tacky. The grey/blue status bar is horrible. Stick with black Apple!

Functionality
    Everything works! It is great!

Features
    Maps: Even on the 3GS, where users did not get Flyover or Turn-by-Turn (3GS gets a repressed version of it showing a bird's eye view and directions)
    [​IMG]
    I already love it more than Google Maps. I like how it loads faster, I like the street sign interface better, and overall, (as Steve Jobs used to say) it just works.

Facebook Integration: Working as advertised, although I don't have much use for it, I just use the share sheet.

Single App Mode: Now works in Beta 2! Very useful for helping kids learn, or showing a demo of your app off. Only complaint I have is when you try to exit, a message pops up saying "Guided Access is enabled" Triple tap the home button to exit" Maybe Apple will make it so nothing pops up when you try to exit. Also, you can hard reset the phone to get out of Guided Access. I wish they hadn't enabled that because honestly, kids using iPads in class will figure this out, which sort of distroys the purpose of it. But, I understand that you need to be able to hard reset the phone if something goes wrong, I honestly think if you are truly using it for schools, if something goes wrong, you have to put it in DFU mode and restore it.

Passbook: Should be useful once companies start implementing it. Love the idea, especially with the rumors of the next-gen iPhone having NFC!

Do Not Disturb mode: Really useful feature, as I charge my iPhone by my bed. When you call your number, it doesn't ring on the iPhone, but does show that you have missed a call.

That's about it! I think some of the other features could have been added to the 3GS like Mail VIP's and Offline Reading list, but Apple has got to sell products, and the 3GS is just about out the door with the iPhone 5 coming down the pike.

Summary
    All in all, a pretty great release for iOS, and I look forward to the GM and consumer release to seal the deal, although this is a pretty stable beta release.

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

Are you seriously reviewing a beta 2 of an OS that is 4 months from release?

3. TEHi macrumors regular

4. utahman130 thread starter macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Just wanted to share my thoughts on how I though the beta was going and provide a thread for others to do the same.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I for one enjoyed the review. I wanted to some real world results about how the performance fares on a 3GS.

There's going to be more tweaks but so far it's a solid start

6. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Love the review, makes me want iOS 6 morse and more :)

One comment on guided access, if you hard reset the device, it will prompt for the normal password upon startup, so I guess the teachers will have to set that password as well. Or maybe a verification, where if the iPad isn't returned with Guided Access activated, and the same password the teacher initially used can unlock it, they automatically fail :p

7. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

8. thundermustard macrumors regular

9. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

As fast as iOS 5? iOS 5 is lags quite abit on my iPhone 4, in terms of fluidity of the UI especially when you have the homescreen filled with apps (all 4 rows occupied) ! Exiting the app kicks you back into the home screen is with no doubt filled with constant stuttering and jittering.

Is there any chance you could review iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 too, specifically performance and UI fluidity? I know many users have addressed this in the thread I've previously created, but I'll like to see a more in depth review.

10. StumpyBloke macrumors regular

StumpyBloke

11. StumpyBloke macrumors regular

StumpyBloke

Great review...ignore the haters! This place has more than its fair share!

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

13. utahman130 thread starter macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Maybe it is because don't have a lot of apps (as my 3GS is 8 GB) but it is pretty fluid. Is your 4 jailbroken?

Sadly, the 3GS is all I have.

14. iThat macrumors member

Don't know what you are on but it seems like every new ios release they just get slower and slower. It really sucks. And functions become less and less.
    This keeps up im goin back to android for good and gettin a S3 come fall

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Next time please sober up before you post.

;)

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts