Lets get MSN for Mac updated!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMacAnthony, Aug 29, 2009.

1. iMacAnthony macrumors newbie

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/suggestions.mspx

Everyone submit suggestions that include A/V for personal accounts and also support for Windows Live Groups ;D

Try to submit suggestions in every place you can but thats the only place I have found so far.

We really need an update for it, its so bad rofl. I think its true that they won't update it because they realize how many customers they will lose when they do. But you really have to admit, its so awful and old.

WE MUST HAVE WLM 9.0 FOR MAC :D

P.S. is there another program that supports Windows Live Groups yet?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Ugh. I don't want WLM for Mac. It's disgustingly bloated and filled with ads. I just want a more robust and useful version of Messenger for Mac. :D

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I want iChat to support MSN instead. MSN for Mac is horrible

4. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

There are already a range of instant messenger programs that are compatible with the msn protocol that are far better than Microsoft's version. To name some examples:

Adium (Doesn't support voice or webcam)
    Amsn (Supports Webcam, voice clips but not voice chat, however it currently does not work with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, probably will be fixed in the next release)
    Proteus (Doesn't support webcam or voice to my knowledge)
    Mercury (Same limitations as proteus)

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Screw Windows Live Messenger. Either use iChat for your MSN contacts or just use Adium.

6. iMacAnthony thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I use iChat for MSN? I'd love to ;P. Only thing still missing is Live Group support ;(

7. MaTUC macrumors regular

8. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Adium is a lot nicer, the official one is horrible.

However, if you like it, I recommend aMSN, it's a more full-featured version.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I don't use it, but the gf has been complaining about not being able to use video through it, and not receiving messages left for her when she's offline.

10. nadyne macrumors 6502a

We've already announced that we're bringing A/V for personal accounts to Messenger. We're planning on a public beta later this year.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

11. GamaFu macrumors regular

I've been waiting for the official Windows Live Messenger for Mac ever since I bought my first Mac earlier this year. I use the program a lot on Windows to chat with friends and my family. Although Adium is fine with all the basic functions, I just hate the fact that I need to boot up my Windows laptop every time I need to voice chat with my parents. Microsoft has promised a Beta in 2009, we're only 4 months away from 2010, but there's still absolutely no update on Messenger whatsoever on the Mac Mojo as of today since the end of last year. Obviously, the free WLM for Mac isn't going to be your team's priority, but at least an update will be appreciated. Thanks.

12. c.dub macrumors member

The new version of Messenger for Mac sounds promising, but I just wish iChat would work with MSN. I don't use MSN anymore, might be partly due to a lack of features compared to the Windows version. Nobody in Canada uses AIM, iChat is useless to me lol.

13. GamaFu macrumors regular

Exactly, no one's using AIM here in Canada nor in Taiwan where I am from. Hence, there's no point of using iChat. Apple is extremely unlikely to add WLM ( previously MSN ) support to the iChat mainly because of the proprietary protocol ( MSNP ) they use. Therefore, what it means is that every time Microsoft makes changes to the protocol, it will break something in third-party IM clients that supports MSN. Apple is famous for not keeping things up-to-date in their OS, so don't expect it to happen.

14. Syonidism macrumors regular

aMSN is more powerful and has webcam support but its Clunky.

you will see what i mean once you use it. The window resize is bloody hard(its delayed) and the UI is just atrocious.

However i still use it since there are no better alternatives.

I'd kill for Msn Support in iChat.

15. Syonidism macrumors regular

o snap just installed Snow Leopard and aMsn does not work.

Goodbye webcam support:(

+petition

16. sonicblue83 macrumors member

17. MaTUC macrumors regular

18. Zimmer62943 macrumors member

Come On F****** Slack Microsoft

Firstly, if you look at the blog you'll see that the last comment was in january, the fools at Microsoft have disabled commenting on it because they know that everyone is pissed off, people are starting to comment about it in the other blogs which aren't disabled such as this http://www.officeformac.com/blog/Announcing-Office-2008-for-Mac-Service-Pack-2/#comments, i use msn because its what im familiar with and its what iv'e always used, i would use adium or those other clients but i cant get visual and audio working on them, its extremely poor of the team that are "working on" the new msn to be giving no information or proof that they are any closer to releasing a beta, nadyne if your talking on behalf of Microsoft its disappointing that you cant elaborate a little more on this!
    What we need to do is actually speak up somehow, maybe start a petition or something, i don't know how to do that, does anyone have any suggestions?

19. MaTUC macrumors regular

Well in my post I was using sarcasm :) haha , you're totally right , but what can we do... nothing :(

20. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Thanks for piping up in here nadyne to let everyone know it's still in the works/pipeline and the update hasn't been forgotten :)

21. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Nadyne has elaborated a few times on this, and just did again. She's very good at replying to peoples queries on here, and is very helpful and informative when she can be.

We'll just have to wait, I know it sucks but at least progress seems to be being made.

One of my friends loves Adium and constantly brings it up, he knows I can't stand hte interface and I tell him tongue in cheek back that it sucks. I know Adium has a big following, and for multiple accounts it's great. I don't really use more than one account most of the time, and prefer msn messenger. Adium just isn't to everyones taste.

22. G-Force macrumors 6502a

I sure hope it gets a new interface that it not as HUGE as it is now. :rolleyes:

23. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

24. hidehide macrumors 6502

This is what I wishes to happen since the day 1 i got my first macbook..
    Why is there no nudge, no winks, no video, custom emotion in messenger for mac..
    Why is it version 7 in mac, but version 10 in windows :mad: