Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
iOS 15 is a very buggy release and animations are choppy on my iPhone 8.

Gone are the days of smooth apple software. I have ordered a samsung phone because I want something new and iOS has gotten boring
for me.

Let's not even talk about macOS, its buggy to point where a chromebook is more stable.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I tried using a Samsung galaxy note 10 + a couple of years ago, was going to throw it against the wall after using it for one day. ?‍♂️ Sold it straight away and went back to my xs max.

Worse bloatware and software experience of my life. ?‍♂️

Sometimes you have to experience how bad the other side is, before you appreciate what you have.

Kung gu

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
I tried using a Samsung galaxy note 10 + a couple of years ago, was going to throw it against the wall after using it for one day. ?‍♂️ Sold it straight away and went back to my xs max.

Worse bloatware and software experience of my life. ?‍♂️

Sometimes you have to experience how bad the other side is, before you appreciate what you have.
it improved a lot. one ui 4 is going to be even better.

iOS is also getting worse in terms of ADs. Settings nags you to use icloud and apple services.

Most apple apples nag you to subcribe to apple services like music, podcasts, news and fitness and tv plus.

Like its annoying. iOS 6-10 was really good but after iOS 11 apple's software quality is meh.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
it improved a lot. one ui 4 is going to be even better.

iOS is also getting worse in terms of ADs. Settings nags you to use icloud and apple services.

Most apple apples nag you to subcribe to apple services like music, podcasts, news and fitness and tv plus.

Like its annoying. iOS 6-10 was really good but after iOS 11 apple's software quality is meh.
Hear the same thing regarding Samsung software, I’m never getting tricked again into using their phones, worse user experience out there.

Good luck to you, hopefully everything works out for you.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
If you want to try and make Android work for you / feel Android is a better fit more power to you.

That said, one thing I've noticed is that I personally tend to hold Apple up to the standard of "Apple under Steve, or Apple 5-10 years ago did it better." While I think there's an objective case to be made for that argument in almost every area (presentation quality/showmanship, customer service, software quality, hardware innovation, etc), it's also partially nostalgia, and it's easy to forget just how much better Apple was and still is at a lot of things than almost everyone else.

Anyway just a thought, good luck if you make the leap, let us know how it goes.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I disagree. This is classic rosy retrospection. Most of us are tempted to think like that about many things (not just software), but we have to recognize that bias and have a more balanced perspective.

Also keep in mind that as social media bloomed over time, it made it easier and easier for people who were not happy with software to air their grievances. So you hear a lot more complaining today in more places than you did in the past. It's very easy to let that subconsciously deceive you into thinking, "Gee, Apple's software must be absolute trash these days." And of course, many of those complaints can be quite petty as well (e.g. ranting and nitpicking about the design of the icons in Big Sur ?) and many are subjective (i.e. not bugs).

Overall, I'm quite happy with iOS and macOS and always have been. Yes, there are and have been issues, and there always will be. Most eventually get ironed out. It's evolving software.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
You are saying that the storage bug that affected my phone choice isn’t Apple quality??? Or the poor battery life on my 13 PM.

still affected by the bug so rip that.

Lightshaft

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
I moved from Samsung to Apple three years ago and I’m so happy with my phone now.
I had Samsung Galaxy Note8 before and that was buggy as hell, stop receiving system upgrades after 1.5 years on a market (this is $1000 phone!) and stability and battery was awful. But camera was much better than my current XR (which works perfectly fast and stable for almost 3 years). Going to upgrade to iPhone 13 Pro this year.
Apple software updates never been stable since iOS 4. Their workflow and feature releasing windows is set such way they unable to deliver stable and reliable code. They realizing more like a beta when xx.0 come out and then polishing it to versions xx.5-7. If you want super stable software then consider to wait for later iOS 15.5-15.7 release (you have no choice if you are buying a new phone of course)

Last edited:

an_apple.a.day

macrumors member
May 21, 2010

Gone are the days of smooth apple software. I have ordered a samsung phone because I want something new and iOS has gotten boring
for me.

Let's not even talk about macOS, its buggy to point where a chromebook is more stable.
how about you try buying a new phone more often than once every 4 years. a 13 has no issues with ios 15 at all. especially if set up as new and not trying to drag in a backup you’ve been using/updating since 2007.

battery life issues on pro max models? storage bugs? sounds like that person also needs to abandon some corrupted decade old user data you’re dumping into this beautiful new device.

if not you just won the unlucky lottery. be an adult, start a return get a replacement ordered and move on.

next people will be crying about reading about “tons of known issues on forums” that “everyone is affected” when in reality it’s less than a percent of manufactured devices that just happen to be doa, that you just happened to end up with.

Last edited:

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
You can’t expect a new OS to be optimized for a four year old device. If you are concerned about the performance on an older device, either upgrade the device or don’t upgrade the OS. I still have a 2014 iPad Air and 2016 iPhone running older iOS versions and they both perform like they should with no problems.

Any company that produces hardware will deal with some manufacturing defects, and any company that develops software will deal with bugs. Don’t be surprised by it — just expect it and try to mitigate the frustration.

Try running a current version of Android OS on a four year old Android device and let us know how it compares.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
You can’t expect a new OS to be optimized for a four year old device. If you are concerned about the performance on an older device, either upgrade the device or don’t upgrade the OS. I still have a 2014 iPad Air and 2016 iPhone running older iOS versions and they both perform like they should with no problems.

Any company that produces hardware will deal with some manufacturing defects, and any company that develops software will deal with bugs. Don’t be surprised by it — just expect it and try to mitigate the frustration.

Try running a current version of Android OS on a four year old Android device and let us know how it compares.
At this point then, Apple should at least allow going back to the older OS...

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
At this point then, Apple should at least allow going back to the older OS...
I can’t expect them to continue to direct resources toward supporting older versions of software. I just don’t upgrade the OS on the older device — I’ll be getting the new OS on my new devices anyways.

Reactions: NC12

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
As someone who has been using Apple products since like 2008, I have to agree, and I am not exaggerating. The "it just works" truth of Apple products has long been gone. Every OS release is riddled with bugs and silly design choices. That "polish" is still there in most cases, but it's just on the surface level. I have a 16" MBP and it runs like crap. Fans go full blast just by watching videos on youtube, animations lag all over, iMessage takes quite awhile to sync messages, and more often than not when I switch to iMessage I get a beachball animation. Also, if I click on an image in iMessage it takes a couple seconds to even highlight it so I can hit spacebar to preview, and the preview animation is laggy. Finder is slow to switch between tabs, to type in search, etc. This is not the performance I would expect from a $2700 laptop. In comparison, my PC at home with Windows 10 is lightning fast and there are no clunky animations holding me up. Say what you want about windows, but I think anyone who uses both side by side nowadays can attest to the fact that windows 10 is FAST. And that is coming from someone who used to loathe windows. Now I can do everything I need to on both platforms and I am actually faster on windows. It gets out of my way, which is something macOS used to do. In most cases, I can actually do things on windows faster and simpler. A small example, taking a screenshot. On macOS a clunky keyboard shortcut of shift+ctrl+cmd+4 to take a screenshot of a custom area and attach to clipboard. On windows, it's literally just printscreen button. Compare Apple Music (on both macOS and iOS) to Spotify. Apple Music is a joke in terms of speed. It lags out constantly trying to refresh pages (sometimes it won't even load anything until you restart the app), and it's just clunky. The macOS version is much worse than the iOS version. I use Telegram with most of my close friends (I know, a shocker for someone who lives in the US) and the Telegram app is 10x better than iMessage. it is lightning fast, super smooth, always up to date, always in sync, and has more features. Just something as simple as replying to a individual message is better. On iMessage it is a laggy annoying animation to reply, and on Telegram it is super smooth. I am so used to the speed and smoothness of Telegram now that I actually hate having to use iMessage. It feels so clunky and slow. Even in browsers, I find Edge better these days than Safari. I can actually run uBlock Origin in Edge for one thing. I could go on and on with a huge list of these things, but anyone who uses both daily knows what I am talking about. A lot of people on this forum haven't used windows in years and they only use macOS and Apple products so they really don't know what they're talking about when it comes to comparing to other platforms.

for me.

Let's not even talk about macOS, its buggy to point where a chromebook is more stable

BigPotatoLobbyist

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2020
As someone who has been using Apple products since like 2008, I have to agree, and I am not exaggerating. The "it just works" truth of Apple products has long been gone. Every OS release is riddled with bugs and silly design choices. That "polish" is still there in most cases, but it's just on the surface level. I have a 16" MBP and it runs like crap. Fans go full blast just by watching videos on youtube, animations lag all over, iMessage takes quite awhile to sync messages, and more often than not when I switch to iMessage I get a beachball animation. Also, if I click on an image in iMessage it takes a couple seconds to even highlight it so I can hit spacebar to preview, and the preview animation is laggy. Finder is slow to switch between tabs, to type in search, etc. This is not the performance I would expect from a $2700 laptop. In comparison, my PC at home with Windows 10 is lightning fast and there are no clunky animations holding me up. Say what you want about windows, but I think anyone who uses both side by side nowadays can attest to the fact that windows 10 is FAST. And that is coming from someone who used to loathe windows. Now I can do everything I need to on both platforms and I am actually faster on windows. It gets out of my way, which is something macOS used to do. In most cases, I can actually do things on windows faster and simpler. A small example, taking a screenshot. On macOS a clunky keyboard shortcut of shift+ctrl+cmd+4 to take a screenshot of a custom area and attach to clipboard. On windows, it's literally just printscreen button. Compare Apple Music (on both macOS and iOS) to Spotify. Apple Music is a joke in terms of speed. It lags out constantly trying to refresh pages (sometimes it won't even load anything until you restart the app), and it's just clunky. The macOS version is much worse than the iOS version. I use Telegram with most of my close friends (I know, a shocker for someone who lives in the US) and the Telegram app is 10x better than iMessage. it is lightning fast, super smooth, always up to date, always in sync, and has more features. Just something as simple as replying to a individual message is better. On iMessage it is a laggy annoying animation to reply, and on Telegram it is super smooth. I am so used to the speed and smoothness of Telegram now that I actually hate having to use iMessage. It feels so clunky and slow. Even in browsers, I find Edge better these days than Safari. I can actually run uBlock Origin in Edge for one thing. I could go on and on with a huge list of these things, but anyone who uses both daily knows what I am talking about. A lot of people on this forum haven't used windows in years and they only use macOS and Apple products so they really don't know what they're talking about when it comes to comparing to other platforms.
I’ve been preferring windows over MacOS since… Windows 8 & Mountain Lion.
Why?
Because Apple absolutely suck with over animating things resulting in poor performance on anything but the latest, and the font/UI scaling options on MacOS drive me insane.
And by now? MacOS is so bloated with the native services it’s worse than Windows because I can disable far more of the first or third-party bloat. Really disable/uninstall.

Reactions: Feyl

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Imo the mass scanning thing definitely took a toll on iOS15. Clearly Apple also knew this, thus them keeping iOS14. The unfortunate ones are new buyers with devices having iOS15 out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.