Lets get serious why will current iphone users want to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dorfdad, May 12, 2008.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Im excited about the unknown like most of you. With speculation running wild everyone is dreaming up new features the 3G iPhone will "Have".

3G will be incldued for sure, speculation is that it's going to eat up the battery even more than the current iPhone without any type of battery improvements.

Speculation that a possible second Camera on the front for Video Chatting.

Increase in storage capacity 8,16,32 gig version

Included real GPS, trade off is the iPhone is going to be slightly thicker.

New Color Scheme.

Corrected Audio Jack. Nice plus for music lovers alone.

These are the only HARDWARE features that im aware of right now. Im sure the firmware updates will be universal for existing users.

Looking at these new features while nice, is not somthing that motivates me to fork over Top Dollar once again for the new iPhone.

New Colors, GPS, and 3G are not really needed for alot of us. NICE yes but most newer cars and sub 100.00 addons have GPS now, buying it for the color? Sotrage I will grant you but at what cost? Audio jacks fixed not worth 299-399-499 whatever when headphones are 19.99 a pair.

3G is a big seller for sure, but temper that right now the Edge network is spotty to say the least in alot of places, now you expect me to think 3G will be availalbe to me in better quality!? Im not holding my breath..

Storage is the only reason im interested right now, that may change but im more interested in the new App store and to see what developers have cooking for the iPhone..

What is the reason your so excitied about the Version 2 iPhones? If you do not have an iPhone now I can understand,but current users why upgrade to the version 2 unless the price is dropped drastically. BTW this is Apple do not expect a price drop from current costs I expect the 3G to cost more than the 8 and 16's..

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The EDGE phone will EOL. 3G models should come in at current price points, if not less if they want sales to continue. O2 only started to sell out when they chopped £100 off the 8GB, they should have learned something from this fact.

3. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

EOL the edge network is still new in alot of locations.. I do not see that happening for a long time. Unless Apple is going to offer a trade in or trade up program, which just plain isn't going to happen I expect the Edge network to be around for the next few years..

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I didn't say the networks would EOL EDGE as a network technology, I'm saying Apple will drop the EDGE (v1) iPhone. It makes no sense to continue to produce two models if one can handle everything.

Course, I am being logical about this, and we are talking about Apple, so it's really anyone's guess. They should axe the EDGE iPhone though.

5. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

I am really looking forward to getting the 3g capability on the next gen.

not really interested in any storage upgrades i have the 16GB now and keep about 8GB of music and 4GB of videos on it at any given time.

having the gps will be nice when traveling in larger cities on foot as well as riding shotgun with someone that doesnt have GPS in their car. and lets face it... it would be more fun playing with the iphone than your gps anyway. LOL if they have jobsy doing the turn by turn directions "BOOM you are at your destination"

i am hoping that apple keeps their current streak of updates without price hikes. when the current gen ipods came out they got more storage at the same price points. Same story with the last MacBook / MacBook Pro / iMac updates.

If the prices are the same i will be in line on iDay2. if the prices are higher, i may still be there... but will definitely expect more from the phone.

6. davedray macrumors newbie

Dorfdad, I agree with you. I have had the iPhone for about 6 weeks, I got the 16gig one. I knew the new one would be comming out around June. But as with all tech things, the new one is around the corner. I am definatly sticking with my gen 1 iPhone. I'm not saying I won't want the new 3g one, just that I'll be able to hold out for a while.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You're missing several hardware changes*. Also several software changes that only the 3G will get (e.g. no need to have video chat software for EDGE only v1 iPhones).

New hardware, new software in short, specific to the 3G iPhones.

The details are amongst other threads here on the iPhone forum.
    I'd just wait < 30 odd days, and see what the teardown brings, what the first reports bring, what the battery life tests bring in the 1st week, then the larger reviews like from Walt. Then you can see how the 3G iPhones work with the App Store etc and how the OS 2.0 helps

*e.g. (tweaked accelerometers, extra sensor, increased storage space, smaller internal components, upgraded graphics chip, more energy efficient baseband, 3G, dual cameras, increased megapixel back camera, video recording capabilities, geo location from the GPS A-GPS chip).
    (Several more discussed at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=438408)

8. walnuts macrumors 6502

Finally- someone who actually agrees with me! Edge is remarkably quick when you actually have a strong edge signal- its just that its rare to get a really good edge signal. I really think what everyone's been complaining about is just poor signal quality. There's no way to distinguish whether your slow-loading web page is slow because of a bad signal or slow edge service. 3g is not going to help this- 3g is more spotty than edge!

I don't plan on upgrading, certainly not based on 3g alone, but leave it to apple to have a killer feature that will make me change my mind...

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

You could still use the camera in the 1st gen for video conferencing. Not saying it wouldn't suck, but you could, the camera is capable of video with the right software. You'd be doing a lot of flipping the phone around though! But I could definitelt find some applications for its use.

But what other hardware changes are you speculating? I haven't heard of anything besides 3G, GPS, and the video cam in the front coming from the rumor mills on the hardware front.

NEVERMIND. Just saw your link. Sounds like the new phone's battery is going to last about an hour!

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This might be the case for you. I have no idea where you live, but outside of the US 3G has far better coverage than EDGE. So as well as being technically better, the chances of getting a good signal are better.

11. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

It's soo fast. No matter how hard I try to justify that my EDGE device is sufficient, I can't ignore how nice and quick 3G is. I live in mostly in an area with 3G coverage, so that's a non-issue for me. As long as there's an off switch for me to save battery, I'll get one. As Clarkson would say, POOOOWWAAAAHHH!!! :D

Now who wants to buy my 16GB - 400$.

12. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

i have had my iphone since january....

If the the 3g one has more hardware upgrades than just a 3g chip then i will consider the new one based on what they are....

...otherwise i am not really fussed about 3g as i spend pretty much all my time at work and at home within decent range of a wifi network.

13. jontucker macrumors 6502

Not in the UK it ain't!

14. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I'll only upgrade if it has GPS. 3G alone does not make it worth my while.

15. mathewr macrumors 6502

i am currently thinking about gettin the new iphone. i got it since the first day. one thing that will definitely cause me to get the new one is a camera on the front for video conferencing. will i use the feature that much prob not, but it will be very cool to have.

i looked at the new blackberry today and i am not impressed at all.

16. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Some will upgrade because it's a new Apple product and they just have to have it, others because it's a better fit to their needs. Most - particularly US owners - probably won't at all.

17. shaggymac macrumors newbie

same here

3G doesn't have the best coverage in the US.

I'd get it if 4 out of the 6 come true :)

1. Video Chat (over Edge speeds or faster)
    2. GPS
    3. iChat Audio (over Edge speeds or faster)
    4. Faster CPU
    5. Larger Drive (at least 32GB and up)
    6. can be used as a Hard Drive like the iPods

18. rayward macrumors 65816

I will upgrade for more storage capacity - 32gb will be enough for me (currently have 8gb). I'm just waiting until the 3G unit comes out as I'm fine with my current iPhone so there's no need to upgrade just to get more capacity.

I'll be looking for 3G, GPS, video and zoom with the camera (don't care about chat/conference ability - but that's just me) and greater capacity. But really, 3G and more gigs are my only drivers.

19. Illinoisemakers macrumors member

I plan on getting the 3g when it comes out, but I have a question.

If I sign my fiancee up for the two year contract with a new 3g, can I give her my old iphone and use the 3g by switching the sim cards? She wants one, but doesn't care about 3g and I'd like to get one with the $200 discount.

20. jeffreyfort macrumors member

I agree with what is important for the prior posters, but what is going to make me give up my Treo this time is the likelihood of the third party apps. Also, I want to be able to cut and paste, search my contacts (just like Address Book on Mac) and hopefully, search iCal in the same way. I am hoping for voice dialing from the contact list. GPS is a must. The question will be, turn-by-turn navigation? Maps? Needs to work even when there is no WIFI or EDGE.

21. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

3G and 32Gb is enough to sell me on a new iPhone. I'm not always around a Wifi Access point and there have been times that EDGE is too slow for me, so here's looking forward to the upgrade!

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Not at all bothered about GPS. 3G will be nice but not absolutely necessary IMO. What I would really like would be 32GB and 802.11n wireless together with wireless syncing of iTunes content. To take that one step further, I'd like the iPhone to have a front row type app and work pretty much the same as Apple TV :)
    802.11n, 32GB and wireless syncing would get me upgrading in a heartbeat. Anything less and I'll probably wait a couple of months

23. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I'll wait until the 3rd generation has been released that way the improvement is leaps and bounds over the one i was using.

24. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yeah, I can't say 3G, GPS or even larger storage capacity would make me want to upgrade. Front-side camera for video-conferencing would make me super jealous...but still not upgrade. Video-recording capabilities would maybe make me consider...but I still don't see why the first gen phone can't do this with some sort of firmware upgrade??

Now a better overall CAMERA -- higher megapixel and improved functionality (I hate the "lag" in picture taking -- I can NEVER get the picture I want) -- would make me switch in a heartbeat!! The other stuff I could live without, but a much better camera would add an insane amount of value for me.

25. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I agree, my one big complaint is the camera. There's some great 3rd party apps like Snapture that increase the functionality. Also, the current camera is capable of video, it just needs the software. There's some demos and you can buy a full-featured version, but I'm going to wait for the AppStore.

For me, the only reason that I would want one is because I one of those suckers that can't resist shiny new Apple toys. 3G? Sure I'd like it, but I have to say, the times when I'm not in WiFi, I've found EDGE to be quite competent. Not the fastest for sure, but totally useable for me. GPS? I'd take it, but Maps.app is working fine for me so far. Only problems are when I'm in the sticks, which isn't often. But, I am easily persuaded by the shiny, shiny, new Apple products...