Let's Make a Kill List of Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Merkuryy, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

I'm gonna upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, and as my 120G MBP is having less and less spaces, I wanna kill some unusable apps in Leopard. When I first got my Mac, I deleted those applications:

1.The Language package: I only lest Chinese Simplified, English, French Japanese and Spanish, That's all I understand

2.Aperture: That's a magnificent software, But it eats too much space ,and my Sony W100 DC fits well with iPhoto, so bye bye.

3.iWork-Pages: Keynote is awesome!!!!Nowdays,I only use PowerPoint to "read" PPT, all my presentation are made by Keynote. But Pages needs a huge effort to make me like it, still not competitive with Word.

4.iLife-Garage Band: This is a funny stuff, really good for basic music lover, But I prefer Logic, so farwell.

5.Included Wallpapers: I hardly use AAPL wallpapers featured in the OS X except the famous "Navy Blue"which is awesome.So I just transfer them to my backup desktop hardrive.See you later!!!!!

That 's what I've done with Mac OS X 10.4.10, and with Leopard eating 3 more gigabytes of hardrive, what you guys did to conserve spaces????? Will be very helpful to know.

Peace:apple::apple:

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

First thing I do is delete all the printer drivers that I'll never use, followed by all the hideous fonts and clipart that Office installs.

I would normally then run Monolingual to delete unwanted language support files, but I see it's not Leopard-ready yet.

3. Merkuryy thread starter macrumors regular

Merkuryy

And what will happen if you have to deal with a printer which you just deleted the driver? Can I back them up ,so things will be easy as I will never transmit my apps to a external hardrive?I mean, can I just transfer them to my external hardrive:cool:

4. feyn-man macrumors regular

Great! You understand so many totally different languages. You must be a Linguist.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Download them from the OEM's website. Takes two minutes.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, this thread is not worthy of mentioning much. We have huge hard drives now and Leopard is only 6GB's of install and other than what the OP mentioned there's nothing else to talk about.:rolleyes:

7. feyn-man macrumors regular

So that is different from person to person. I never use my laptop to print something. So I don't need these driver. If you need it, of cause don't delete them.

8. Merkuryy thread starter macrumors regular

Merkuryy

If you give me a 250G 7200rpm Fujitsu hardrive for less than 100$ "now", surely I will cancel this discuss, but I guess we won't see that before the end of 2008, so I want to save every gigabyte I can. This is the point:cool:

9. Merkuryy thread starter macrumors regular

Merkuryy

I was grown in France and I'm Chinese so I know both French and Chinese. We learnt English at school, Spanish is not very far from French so I understand the key words (same things with Japanese)

In fact I only keep the language that under its system I can at least know how to switch to a language I know:D

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

Buy a license for Xslimmer (its $12USD i think) and have it scan your system. It will remove PPC code as well as either 32 or 64 bit code (depending on which MacBook Pro you have) from the apps and the extra languages, and that will shrink down your apps folder by about half I would say.

11. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if I did something wrong doing that...

My printer: HP LaserJet P3005 connected to my office network, printing over an IP address.

Since HP offers a 20MB driver download for this printer, I removed the HP (700+MB) drivers from Leopard. (Would you believe that Epson drivers are 1.4gigs?! :eek: ) However, after installing the drivers HP provided and rebooting, I was not able to print to that LaserJet. The only way I could print is by reinstalling the HP drivers from the Mac OS Install disc. :confused:

12. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

While most of the drivers in a manufacturer's folder are for specific printers, some are needed for any model. Delete the ones that correspond to model numbers. Or at least, that's how it appears in the folder.

13. Emanuele macrumors member

okay guys....

how do I remove the printer drivers ? And those languages installed?

:) Running Leopard.

Thank you.
    Emanuele

PS: Nevermind, I got it! :)

14. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

With my current mac i have tons of space, so I didn't feel the need to start hacking stuff out of the Tiger install. But on some older iMacs with smaller drives, the first stuff to go is all the foreign language support and the unnecessary printer drivers. You can save a good few GB this way!

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the problem is that if you ever have to reinstall your system from scratch you have to go through the skimming again. and you never know what you might break in your system by deleting stuff. i found it far easier to put a larger HDD in my powerbook than to tamper with the system.
    in addition skimming your system and apps gives you what? 10GB? a new HDD gives you 130GB.

16. Merkuryy thread starter macrumors regular

Merkuryy

I say it again, give me a 250G hardrive of 7200 rpm for less than 100$ now and everything is OK. The problem is most of the 250G is over 140$ nowadays. I only want to open my MBP for once and for all, so I will definitely go through a 250G:(

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I'm a cunning linguist.

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Learn to customize the install process while installing OSX in the first place, it's a lot easier than try to delete files later on.

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well then you have to decide what's it worth to you? I am not certain what type of hard drive you are referring to (internal/external) but for the external you can get 320-500 for $140+. At any rate a meezly $40.00 over the $100 you want to spend isn't much when you are talking about data storage. There's just no reason to compromise and downsize by removing apps that you need.

If you are going to reply back with the game of "my funds are limited" then this whole thread really only applies to you. You can spend a weekend spending $140.00 with friends or spend it on your storage system that's permanent.

20. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Funny thing that you said about Aperture and iPhoto, seeing that you're trying to save space. While Aperture may be a slightly bigger install, unlike iPhoto, it creates only a 25KB xml file for every adjustment you do. If you have ever looked inside the iPhoto contents, you'll see that every picture that you do anything to is duplicated, and there is an "originals" folder, along with a separate image for every adjustment you have ever made.

If you have a lot of pictures, and are trying to save space, Aperture is a much better choice than iPhoto.

21. Merkuryy thread starter macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Yes , I knew that, When I tried to install ilife 08, I've already found out that iPhoto is even bigger than Garage Band.But as I mentioned, I only have a Sony W100, Aperture is far too powerful to deal with the photos I took.And I deleted every photo which are duplicated, for me iPhoto is acting more like Picasa (But I still adjust a lot os photos thus)

22. Merkuryy thread starter macrumors regular

Merkuryy

I refer to internal drive since I said I will open my MBP for only once and replace the hardrive with a 250G one.But i'm just waiting for the prices to go down a little, and asking how can I make the most of my space during this period of waiting time:apple:

23. Merkuryy thread starter macrumors regular

Merkuryy

That's what I wil do when I install Leopard so I won't have problem again when upgrading to 10.6

24. MNMacLvr macrumors newbie

ROFL.. are you kidding me.. you're squawking over $40 ... so you'll pay about $100 .. but not $140.. You paid a pretty penny for your mac.. I think $40 isn't much of a squeeze..

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Let's not forget about Aperture and Logic as well. Unless ...

But seriously, ease up on him folks. His idea isn't a bad one. Not everyone wants to install a huge internal drive or have a bunch of data they don't need.