Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristiaanW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Hi,

I'm going to the USA this summer. I'd like to be able to use my iPhone 3G, especially for 3G. What are the possibilities for this in the USA for about 1 month. My iPhone hasn't got a simlock (factory unlock).

I think it's a good idea to make a list of how to use 3G per country. I'll start with my own :).

In The Netherlands you can buy a pre-paid Vodafone Sim-card. This means you don't buy a contract, but you just buy a sim card which you can top up. However, this will cost you about 20 euro's, which is about 25 dollar. After you've bought it, you have to call the Vodafone service line at number 1200. Then you'll have to activate Vodafone Internet Blox, which will cost you €10 per month (but you've got €20 spent on the sim card so you have got €20 credit on that card). They use a Fair Use Policy This means there is no bandwith limit, but you shouldn't use more then about 2GB per month, or they might cut you off. When you leave the country, just throw the card away. Only cost you €20 :).

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
bit off the point.
my aussie unlocked iPhone when roaming in the USA, while on t-Mobile it would freeze up and reset:D as soon as i swiched to att it was fine:p

funny stuff i thought
(all on an OptusAU sim)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
In the UK you can buy data bundles from O2. They're 10 MB for £20 per month with a minimum of one month subscription (so you have to remember to cancel it) and a bigger one of 50 MB. I think that one's £50 but I may be wrong about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.