Let's play "Name that battery killer"!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Brandn, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Brandn macrumors newbie

Since jail breaking my phone, my battery life is about as good as my sex life, which is almost horrible.

Any idea which one of these culprits could be draining my battery? I have turned off Twitter, FB, Email and RSS for ISX.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340242928.892009.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340242938.111356.jpg

2. breezyf808 macrumors regular

I'd say xmessages and springtomize. Also if u have many other tweaks that might not have any options to have in settings then those tweak uses ram that uses power

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Don't have this issue and I have ISX I turned off Twitter, FB, Email and RSS for ISX. best way to test is uninstall one app at a time. Or restore to stock and see if it fixes it.. also try recalibrating the battery. and check the tons of other battery threads here.

4. MastahRiz, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Killing background apps can actually waste more battery life than it saves, there have been a few different threads discussing how killing them is completely unnecessary in iOS 5. You could try getting rid of KillBackground.

Also, believe it or not, Winterboard does use more battery.

5. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I have seen much debate in this area. I'd like to know why people think it drains battery. What proof makes you so sure a program that replaces .pngs drains more battery?

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Jailbreak apps that run in the background are a whole different ballgame than the voodoo of “closing apps from the recent apps list” though. Since jailbreak apps are not subject to Apple’s multitasking API restrictions, they can continue to run in the background, doing network traffic or whatnot for as long as they want, which can severely affect battery life.

I had ISX on my phone for a while and I noticed the battery life hit. Decided it ultimately wasn’t worth it, so now I’m back to just using a jailbreak to scrobble plays to last.fm and that’s it.

7. jahoys macrumors regular

what app/tweak do you use to scrobble? TIA

8. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Excellent points. I've also noticed that 'background killing' apps do more harm to the battery life than actually improve it. This is so overlooked by the JB community.

9. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

Hmm I never thought a background killing app to help try and improve battery life could possibly make it worse. I think I'll try and remove weekillbackground for a while and see if it helps my battery life. I've already removed winterboard and intelliscreenx and that has improved my battery quite a bit.

10. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Hmm, Winterboard and ISX def I'd say are battery killers.

Because we're on the topic, my usage time and stand by times are the same (I'm on a 4S btw). I experienced this on a stock 5.1.1 installation, jailbroken and on iOS 6. All of them were set up as new, and I still had the same issue with usage and stand by time. Now the signal where I live isn't that great, but my mom's 4 doesn't have the same issue I have. Should I take my phone into the Apple store to get it replaced under the warranty? (I posted this in here because I'm jailbroken atm of course)

11. lapeno macrumors 6502

12. Brandn thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn. So get rid of great apps and I might as well go back to stock or keep them an suffer battery drain?

Luckily my phone is usually charging, either at work or car so I am never in trouble of it dying. Hmm...

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Scrobbl. The status bar icon hasn’t shown up since iOS 3 and it’s not fancy, but it works. Though, to be fair, I do so much of my on-the-go music playing through Spotify now, sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it.

----------

I don’t believe that’s correct. There’s nothing about jailbreaking that inherently increases load on the device.

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The only real way to know is to delete them all and add each one separately if you want to know the true culprits. Make sure all hacks are up to date also.

15. Brandn thread starter macrumors newbie

I may try to do that. I guess I'd rather have battery drain than lose some of the cool tweeks.

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

again try recalibrating your battery and the most common reason after jailbreaking is using the device more ie looking at all your cool new tweeks. Most of the time these threads go bad just like this one has. I will put my jailbroken against a non jailbroken phone any day and I have almost all these same tweaks.

17. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Forget the battery life here and fix your sex life bro! lol :rolleyes:

18. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

If the above solutions don't work, it could be your email client(s). I had the equal battery life problem once and it turned out to be one of my two email clients was constantly pinging the server checking for new mail. I completely deleted the email accounts, resprung and reboot, added one email account and set up, then resprung and rebooted, added the second email account and resprung and rebooted. Never had the problem again.

If all else fails give this a try. I highly doubt it's email though because you've had this problem on just about every firmware it seems. It might be as simple as needing a recalibration. Info this about once a month. Battery doctor pro or whatever it's called reminds me monthly with a push notification and adds it to my calendar.

19. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

I felt the same way and justified it just like you did, "well at least I'm always near a charger!"

Trust me, removing a couple things like intelliscreenx and winterboard makes a big difference and they are definitely things you can live without and still fully enjoy your jailbreak.

I just removed both of them about two weeks ago and don't regret it at all because I still have other awesome jailbreak tweaks and apps like activator, bitesms, lockdown, infinifolders and infinidock and springtomize 2. I don't even use sbsettings anymore either, just use activator for everything.

But I've learned just like with quitting smoking you are going to have to want better battery and no lag before you get rid of them. It's just going to annoy you and make you justify it more with others constantly telling you. And yes I do realize my post could fall under one of those annoying posts, but coming from someone who recently gave up those cool tweaks I think it could be a little helpful. You don't NEED those few things to enjoy your jailbreak.

But in the end you gotta make the choice yourself. If you're fine with constantly charging your phone then more power to you.

20. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Nice pun! Haha

21. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

AnimateScreen or whatever it's called. The one that uses the old BootLogo animations.

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

none of these cause issues with my battery life intelaborn said a long time ago to turn off Stock widget here direct from them..

Does IntelliScreenX use additional battery?

11/10/11 Note: We have resolved a consumption issue in update 1.0.25 which affected all previous beta versions for some users in some situations.

----------------------------

IntelliScreenX has been designed to be a very light-weight addition to the Notification Center. Examples of such are not including WebView's in our widgets to not require extensive CPU processing of touch and data.

However, there are 3 key components that will change your battery consumption from a typical day's use with and without IntelliScreen.

1) With IntelliScreenX, users have reported greater phone usage as it's been more convenient to use. This may seem obvious, but we like to point it out anyways :).

2) IntelliScreenX is often accessed on the Lock Screen. One issue with this is that the"Slide to Unlock" animation uses about 20% CPU to animate. This will increase your battery consumption as you view content on the Lock Screen.

3) Stocks Ticker! We are not big fans of this widget as the animation consumes about 20% CPU to animate, and also fetches data every 30 seconds. Our recommendation is to remove the Stocks Ticker from notification center.

As far as Winterboard goes depends on what you are running off of it..

23. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Samething on Android, yet you have guys who go gaga over downloading and using task killer/background apps some even on auto mode when the stock one like on my phone even with the custom Rom does it the correct way.

For jailbreaking, sucks, but the only way to really test is remove and add back the app's like one at a time even if that means 1 a day. That way you get your normal usage for the day and when you start seeing any noticeable difference you'll be able to backtrack which app(s) caused it.

24. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I don't have definitive proof. All I can say is that any mobile substrate add-on will cause additional strain on the system as a whole. It may be very minor, or it could be a hog. It depends on what it does and how it's coded.

I have no doubt Saurik coded WinterBoard very well. The thing is WinterBoard works by telling iOS to look for icons and images in another location. That location is the themes folder. Since it's doing so the entire time the phone is displaying a themed screen (homescreen, lockscreen, etc) it causes more work for the phone.

If WinterBoard worked like BytaFont, by replacing the actual files with your custom set, there would not be the issue of additional RAM usage or potentially lessoned battery life. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You could certainly replace files manually but this is a major pain the in butt. Especially if you like to change themes often. It would be a nightmare, at least that's my opinion. :)

25. MastahRiz macrumors 6502