Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
In some ways this computer looks like it could quite easily do much much better then the old Mac Pro.

If it wasn't for the GPU choice i would say this thing might sell very very well but i don't see how that is possible unless Apple managed to get the mother of all deals from AMD.

I mean high end firepro's go for 3500$ each? No one outside of pro users are spending that kind of money and you can't even upgrade them.

Again going to reserve judgment until i see the actual prices and the actual GPU's used.

I just wish there was a consumer option for the cards, i would gladly spend 4k for this thing with 2 top of the line radeon cards and nice overall specs.

Agreed. Those FireGL cards are not cheap, I am too curious what kind of pricing Apple has been able to negotiate. It is no secret that AMD has been hurting financially perhaps they thought it better to lower the prices for what is effectively a custom PCB design by Apple that wouldn't taint the rest of the FireGL market while simultaneously locking NVIDIA out of the system.

The way Apple spoke on stage it sounded like there wont be any BTO option on the graphics, you'll get FireGL and that's that. Of course that remains to be seen but it does appear that way and perhaps that was part of the exclusivity agreement with AMD to get better priced FireGL's

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
"I could really be more productive and profitable if only my desktop machine was less internally expandable and weighed less"

Said no working pro ever
:p

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but you actually really did not read the old threads. The weight and size of the Mac Pro is complained about on a common basis. Typically in the case re-design threads and especially when the topic of the handles and their utility comes up. Typically how the handles cut into hands when lifting them and how removing Mac Pros from users locations to take them back to be repaired and/or deployed is a pain because they are heavy.

We invented woden planks with wheels for that a few millenia ago. You should only need to pick it up twice when moving it. Once off the desk to the cart and once from the cart to the desk. People that complain about this are dumb. Sorry, no other way to put it.

Throw on top all the xMac discussions where folks want a smaller ( and therefore presumably less expensive ) Mac Pro. Is this going to be a cheaper box? It probably will not be firmly planted inside the iMac price zone. But were people yelping about smaller and mutating the Mac Pro into something somewhat different? Absolutely. There is gobs of that stuff here on macrumors and other forums. Is this the xMac? No (at least not the "headless iMac with slots" variant of the xMac). It is a substantial mutation that is smaller though.

But if its not cheaper, it won't matter. At $2099 + TB externals, you're looking at the same basic price as the old Mac Pro. I think we're going to need <=$1899 for this to really be seen as substitue for the xMac.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
But if its not cheaper, it won't matter. At $2099 + TB externals, you're looking at the same basic price as the old Mac Pro. I think we're going to need <=$1899 for this to really be seen as substitue for the xMac.

The issue is, how much will those TB externals cost. I'd need at least 2 multi drive bay external inclosures, which would factor out to what a current 12-core would run - and I truly doubt the $2,099 version will have 12 cores.

This is going to be just like the Cube, a TCO fail.

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I think the Hackintosh crowd falls in to one of three camps.

1. The person that wants full customisation, isn't willing to settle for Apples restrictive hardware options.
2. The guy that just wants a Mac but Apple didn't have something more powerful than a Mac Mini that didn't come with a Screen or used outdated technology.
3. The guy with a budget too small to buy a real Mac so they build one for $499

I think the new Mac Pro is going to take out that 2nd category of user. The one that wanted a Mac but wasn't willing to buy a Mac Mini, iMac or outdated Mac Pro but they would buy a new Mac Pro.

I think you're pretty much spot on here Quu. Having had numerous Macs over the last 10 years I am right now using a 13" rMBP and a custom-built Hackintosh (i5-2500K@4.2GHz, 16GB 1766MHz DDR3, GTX 680 4GB, really nice Dell Ultrasharp 29" UltraWide Screen) for my web & graphic design business. I like to tinker a bit but really see myself in the second category of users you have outlined:

Back in 2011 a Mac Pro was not doing it for me and back then it was a bit too costly, too. I went the Hackintosh route and learned a lot this way. I have been running into problems though, although not too often, that had to be tackled in my free time. Now my ratio is: with a new, powerful Mac Pro I will be forced to forget the tinkering and will not be bothered with fixing things this often. Therefore, I can surely justify buying one, even for up to 3k€ and never look back. I'm looking forward to Apple EU pricing by the way :rolleyes:

I just wish there was a consumer option for the cards, i would gladly spend 4k for this thing with 2 top of the line radeon cards and nice overall specs.

Let's wait for the prices here. Maybe Apple really got themselves a GOOD deal with AMD. With your budget of 4k you should get a good FirePro config.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Just get it out under $5K, somebody make a decent carrying case for it, so I can drag it around, and I'll consider it a souped up mini.

The only downside is I'll probably have to drag some hard drive enclosure around as well.

I've already got pro quality monitors everywhere I go, so that's a non-issue.

I'm definitely getting Applecare on it though, learned my lesson by watching my friend's cubes fail.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
The issue is, how much will those TB externals cost. I'd need at least 2 multi drive bay external inclosures, which would factor out to what a current 12-core would run - and I truly doubt the $2,099 version will have 12 cores.

I don't think so.

A larger thunderbolt (2) market will bring prices down. Vendors will create multichambered solutions (optical/blu-ray drive + multiple disk JBOD/RAID) in form factors that will look a lot like the new Mac Pro and the peripheral prices will halve. It may never fall to the $15-$20 USB enclosure price, but they will become a lot more affordable and certainly affordable for the targeted market of this device.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I don't think so.

A larger thunderbolt (2) market will bring prices down. Vendors will create multichambered solutions (optical/blu-ray drive + multiple disk JBOD/RAID) in form factors that will look a lot like the new Mac Pro and the peripheral prices will halve. It may never fall to the $15-$20 USB enclosure price, but they will become a lot more affordable and certainly affordable for the targeted market of this device.

3 years of hearing how MacPros are such a small part of the market & now those sales are going to bring the price of TB products down.

How long have we been hearing about how prices are going to drop for TB products?

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Storage can e taken care of with SAN

True, but how is it going to be attached? If it is via the Gigabit Ethernet port, its I/O is going to be slower than SATA-1 (even before packet conflicts)

To have fast local storage is going to either require a big internal SSD blade ($$$$$ from Apple) or an external Thunderbolt disk array. Because we can't violate the laws of thermodynamics, these external TB drives are going to have cooling fans - - probably small diameter ones, which are even louder - - and that external peripheral will have a beehive drone that will make the quiet features of the cylinder moot.

I did a KISS comparison yesterday: One can get a pair of 3TB WD Red's for $300 to put internally into a current Mac Pro ...whereas the current price for WD's 6TB "My Book Duo" (2 x 3TB, same HDD brand) is $600 at NewEgg ... simplistically, that's a "TB Tax" of $150 per spindle (times four spindles).

If one simply subtracts off $600 as a notional "TB Tax" offset, the implications are that the 2013 MP's price needs to start at no more than $1800. Personally, I'd put $1500 as a key "mindshare" breakpoint to hit in order for the product to really be a hit.

That's what I'm really afraid of too.

IA larger thunderbolt (2) market will bring prices down...

In the 1980s/1990s, I was told that economies of scale would bring down the price of SCSI drives.

In the 1990s/2000s, I was told that economies of scale would bring down the price of Firewire drives.

In 2011-2013, I was told that economies of scale would bring down the price of Thunderbolt drives.

See a pattern here yet?

Vendors will create multichambered solutions (optical/blu-ray drive + multiple disk JBOD/RAID) in form factors that will look a lot like the new Mac Pro and the peripheral prices will halve. It may never fall to the $15-$20 USB enclosure price, but they will become a lot more affordable and certainly affordable for the targeted market of this device.

True, but TB has already been out for 2 years, and even if we excuse the "1 year Apple Exclusive" bit, the WinTel PC manufacturers - - even after a full year to get ready to launch new TB-based PCs - - did not blow open the market back in 2012.

Quite frankly and unfortunately, I don't see it as likely for the "TB Tax" to decline within the next five years to even the desparity of where Firewire800 prices are today verus USB.

...and since the Cylinder Mac Pro has USB3 ports, that's what a lot of people are going to opt for whenever they can: it passes the "Good Enough" test at the lowest price point.

-hh

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
True, but how is it going to be attached? If it is via the Gigabit Ethernet port, its I/O is going to be slower than SATA-1 (even before packet conflicts)

-hh

SAS/Fiber Channel card in one of those plentiful PCI to TB boxes..:rolleyes:

Not defending it just saying the storage he was talking about would be networked anyway most likely.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
I don't think so.

Right on .

That's exactly what happened before; just as predicted, 1TB SSDs are dirt cheap now, TB devices are plentiful and affordable (yes, it's been discussed for years), and Macs dictate future computer technology .

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I think the new base Mac Pro is going to come in at a significantly lower price then the current base model. The cost savings to Apple on the current case design and the associated redundant components would be significant. They would be able to pass a significant chunk of that on to consumers. Additionally, Apple would realize that pro users would have to shell out for external storage and factor that in.

This project has had a mandate to cut costs significantly. Hence the ability to move manufacturing to the US. Otherwise there is no way in hell this machine would be being made in the USA.

I'm estimating pricing starting at between $1699 and $1999. (not including display obviously).

Just my two cents.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
If Apple price it too low it would cannibalize the sales of iMacs. I expect the base price to be the same as the current gen of Mac Pros. Then you have to factor in the price of Thunderbolt or USB3 drives for your externals and its starting to look like an expensive outlay at first. I guess it will work out in the long run when people upgrade the Macpro down the line but keep all the externals they were already using.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
At which point Apple will be pushing "Cyclone Vortex 3" cables and you will need to scrap all of your TB2 stuff to keep marching to their tune.

There is no end to these forced updates. Consumers need to consume.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
At which point Apple will be pushing "Cyclone Vortex 3" cables and you will need to scrap all of your TB2 stuff to keep marching to their tune.

There is no end to these forced updates. Consumers need to consume.

For some people yes but i have a great USB3 raid setup for all my media and i don't plan on upgrading it anytime soon, as long as it does the job i wont be upgrading.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This is all about guessing the price of the entry-level configuration.

If it's $2000 that the optimists are predicting then these will leap into people's offices and homes.

But it will probably be more like 3K and I'm guessing the lack of affordable expansion options will make this a very weak seller.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I think the Hackintosh crowd falls in to one of three camps.

1. The person that wants full customisation, isn't willing to settle for Apples restrictive hardware options.
2. The guy that just wants a Mac but Apple didn't have something more powerful than a Mac Mini that didn't come with a Screen or used outdated technology.
3. The guy with a budget too small to buy a real Mac so they build one for $499

I think the new Mac Pro is going to take out that 2nd category of user. The one that wanted a Mac but wasn't willing to buy a Mac Mini, iMac or outdated Mac Pro but they would buy a new Mac Pro.

The incrementally better Mac Mini's will eat away at the 3rd over time as Apple puts more that they think is worth the incremental $100 to get to it.

So it is really only group #1. Even that group is smaller if someone comes up with an external "tinker fixation" box. ( e.g., a box with 1-2 5.25" , 1-2 3.5" and 1-2 2.5" bays , and perhaps a x4 PCI-e slot. ). But yes the hard core folks more fixated on control than function... they never were a good match to Macs in the first place. The sliver that is left over that just have a straight functional need mismatch with the Mac line up are going to be far easier to replace with folks who do have a better match.

I don't know how big that group is, probably not more than a few thousand individuals.

Oh, I'd throw low 10's of thousands at the #1 group before sub-sectioning it. However, that isn't even close to being able to be a viable Mac product.
With a run rate of 10's of millions of Macs per year that is basically a 0% share of the Mac market (e.g., 20K / 14M --> 0.1% rounded to nearest whole number 0% ). That is going to fall into the "nobody buys them" bucket the XServe fell into. It isn't literally nobody but when the Apple sr. execs meet each week to track how well Macs are selling the pie/bar chart of mac sales with Mac Pros when scaled relative is basically going to say "Zero".

it's still a desktop, they have lower market share than Notebooks and it's still going to be very pricey. Those aspects will always limit its appeal. I'm just saying I don't think it will be a flop or ill-received.

Priced too high and it will flop.

If Apple can bring the average sales price down $500 it will probably do better than the old Mac Pros were doing.

While the folks with a budget limit of only $499 may be much larger the folks with sub $1,999-2,299 budget is probably as big as some of these "gotta stuff everything in one large box" folks. Apple will swap the former for the latter.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
If Apple price it too low it would cannibalize the sales of iMacs. I expect the base price to be the same as the current gen of Mac Pros. Then you have to factor in the price of Thunderbolt or USB3 drives for your externals and its starting to look like an expensive outlay at first. I guess it will work out in the long run when people upgrade the Macpro down the line but keep all the externals they were already using.

I don't think at $1999 it would cannibalize the iMac too much. It's a much more powerful machine at the base config then the top end iMac. However, factor in a display and cost will come in at the mid $2k mark.

There is always some cannibalisation when new products are launched. It's human nature to weigh decisions and there will always we overlap with product lines and consumers.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I don't think at $1999 it would cannibalize the iMac too much. It's a much more powerful machine at the base config then the top end iMac. However, factor in a display and cost will come in at the mid $2k mark.

There is always some cannibalisation when new products are launched. It's human nature to weigh decisions and there will always we overlap with product lines and consumers.

You also have to factor in upgrading the iMac to an i7 and 256gb ssd which would be comparable to the base Mac Pro. Lets put it this way, if Apple knocks 500 bucks of the base Mac Pro config i will switch from my iMac to a Pro in an instant. The extra price for a monitor is well worth it for the extra power and versatility.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
I know you are trying to be sarcastic, but you actually really did not read the old threads. The weight and size of the Mac Pro is complained about on a common basis.---

Typically how the handles cut into hands when lifting them and how removing Mac Pros from users locations to take them back to be repaired and/or deployed is a pain because they are heavy.

Throw on top all the xMac discussions where folks want a smaller ( and therefore presumably less expensive ) Mac Pro. Is this going to be a cheaper box? It probably will not be firmly planted inside the iMac price zone. But were people yelping about smaller and mutating the Mac Pro into something somewhat different? Absolutely. There is gobs of that stuff here on macrumors and other forums. Is this the xMac? No (at least not the "headless iMac with slots" variant of the xMac). It is a substantial mutation that is smaller though.

As for weight and handles; when an MP or several get moved around a lot, the people who do it are not the ones who paid for them .
And the Macs are a fraction of the stuff they have to lug around .

As for the xMac/small tower arguments, which only seem to pop up in MacPro topics; that's people who don't need workstations, and don't know why such a thing even exists .
The MP got targeted, because it's the only Mac that lets you take stuff out easily, and put back in better stuff you can get cheap at Newegg .

Noone ever asked for a smaller MP, maybe a cheaper one; but basically people demanded a Mini , with iMac power, MP design, replacable GPUs, cheap Ram upgrades; and a couple more slots for extra drives or whatever .
Naturally, smaller than an MP, cheaper than the iMac (no screen, right?), no proprietary parts to keep those affordable upgrade options .
It never would have happened ; Apple used to have very affordable towers, with good specs, till '08 .
They could have made a smaller line, but hardly a cheaper one .

Then, after squeezing every available cheap hybrid technology into the iMac and making it really fast, a line of smaller, expandable Mac towers just wasn't going to happen . Remember - this thing had to have iMac performance , and still be upgradable for cheap.
No way to not loose money on such a product, and not hitting the iMac market heavily .

Especially since a few more drive bays and PCIe slots add almost nothing to manufacturing and parts costs , and you can sell it as an MP .

Now what do they get ?
This is not the 'mid-tower' Mac people loved to rave about .
The size is right, and that's where it ends .

No cheap internal upgrades in any department with the new MacPro , for the mid-tower nerds.

All the mid-tower people will say what they always did, and do now - I'll get one !
Most of them won't buy, and never would have .
And not enough space for their iTunes library on the entry model 256GB SSD anyways, that's a deal breaker right there .

Pricing for the base model might or might not be right for the mid-tower crowd ; performance will probably be well below a top level iMac .

Or will it be ?
This is what I find confusing .
I don't believe for a moment Apple saves a dime in parts with the new design, quite the contray . Maybe a little with assembly, probably shipping, packaging and storage .

In the past, a base-mid model MP might not have had great performance out of the box, but could be upgraded instantly, for fairly little cost, and run circles around any iMac . Including storage size and performance .

This time, I think Apple has to offer out-of-the box performance even for the lower models, that easily beats not only the fastest iMac, but any other workstation in their respective price range . By a margin .

If that doesn't happen, the new design might be considered a dud .
It doesn't matter if speeds here or there can go 'up to' this and that .
There are no 3rd party upgrades, apart drom RAM maybe , and Apple upgrades have become affordable in this respect.
There are no basic external expansions that are tested or affordable, and zero more complex external devices to support that part of the design .

Hence, the new approach is a challenge, born into a vacuum for the time being, and has to excel from the start to justify its existence.

So, to cover any ground across the possible spectrum of users, Apple will need to sell as a base modell with a few upgrade options:

- a 6 core CPU (12 threads = max. 9 physical cores in real performance, better than nothing for multi-thread apps), clocked at 3 GHZ or more (for the many 1-2 thread apps) , with 32GB RAM (upgrading later with just 4 sockets too expensive), at least 512GB PCIe SSD (single one doesn't bugger all for performance in a workstation, you just need a little wiggle room re. space ), 4GB VRam (cause they bragged about it) .

I'm to lazy now to calculate this through, but that's a configuration for a revolutionary new workstation design, with the specs of a 4500$ current 6-core including the extras (sans dual GPU), and I expect to pay no more than 3500$ for it .

I don't see Apple doing this; but like I said, I don't see them succeeding if they can't offer significantly more performance (200+% on paper) for the same money, with a design approach that might well be going nowhere (TB) , for all that we know now .

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Agreed. Those FireGL cards are not cheap, I am too curious what kind of pricing Apple has been able to negotiate. It is no secret that AMD has been hurting financially perhaps they thought it better to lower the prices for what is effectively a custom PCB design by Apple that wouldn't taint the rest of the FireGL market while simultaneously locking NVIDIA out of the system.

It is not just "hurting financially". It also willing to deal on embedded designs. ( perhaps folks are equating the too but they don't necessarily have to be embedded hostile to do deals. The vast majority of all CPUs are embedded in someone else's design. It is just part of the business).

AMD won the PS4 and Xbox One design bake-offs. That is partially is because they are willing to be flexible.

The way Apple spoke on stage it sounded like there wont be any BTO option on the graphics, you'll get FireGL and that's that.

But there is a variety of FirePros available. If Apple is doing a custom board it wouldn't be hard to mutate the board for the higher end W9000 also work for a W8000 and W7000 derivatives also work with slightly less memory and somewhat slower parts. All the more so if not trying to differentiate the cards with different edge connectors and optional features.
They all would use exactly the same thermal management solution. ( a design to handle 250W will also work for 190W and 150W ).

All the variants would pump video to the TB controllers for distribution (so the same) and to the HDMI port ( again the same). [ the W7000 doesn't have ECC RAM but basic graphics feature subset is very similar across W7000 , W8000, W9000 , but the memory interconnect is somewhat different. ]

Of course that remains to be seen but it does appear that way and perhaps that was part of the exclusivity agreement with AMD to get better priced FireGL's

Exclusivity isn't really necessary. For all of Apple's other embedded GPU designs they only do one. Apple is unlikely to build two completely custom cards. Especially, if Nvidia won't give them a deep discounts or work with them on embedded designs. Even more so on 'version 1' of this effectively new product line.

It is going to be hard to wrangle deep discounts unless have volume. If allow users to flip coin to choose between then won't get volume.

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD could almost increase the FirePro GPU unit sales by over 30% if 2013 Mac Pro does decently well .

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
If Apple price it too low it would cannibalize the sales of iMacs. I expect the base price to be the same as the current gen of Mac Pros.

If the current Mac Pros had been a success that would be well motivated. They weren't. Perhaps Apple is betting on the two "workstation" GPUs will add value. If there is a reasonable amount of software that unlocks that value sooner rather than later then the bet may pay off.

Otherwise their drift from the G5 era and $1,999 to current one and $2,4999 has not been working so well for the Mac Pro. The iMac is doing better but the Mac Pro isn't.

Then you have to factor in the price of Thunderbolt or USB3 drives for your externals and its starting to look like an expensive outlay at first.

Right, so if the deploy system cost is going from $2,499 up to 2,799-2,899 there is actually going to much fewer buyers not more. There are tons of signs that there were already too few buyers at the $2,499. It isn't going to get any better driving the cost higher.

There will be an initial wave ( even the Mac Cube had an initial wave) but most likely will die a 2-3 years out. [ probably will do better than Mac Cube and about as bad as the NeXT Cube is price-value mismatch is as high as it was with the NeXT Cube. ]

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Right on .

That's exactly what happened before; just as predicted, 1TB SSDs are dirt cheap now, TB devices are plentiful and affordable (yes, it's been discussed for years), and Macs dictate future computer technology .

+1

When everyone else wanted PCIE Apple more clearly saw the future and wisely went with PCI-X. Dozens of cards appeared for Apple consumers right away.

Same with their BRILLIANT AGP-Pro socket. I am still tripping over boxes of these fine cards that the market produced to meet Apple's forward thinking plans.Another big winner from same time was the ADC monitor. Despite fierce demand Apple somehow created enough of these for the clamoring consumers.

They really do know what we want better than we do.

They made that tech the standard, and the market caught up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.