Let's pretend we are in an alternate reality

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LinuxSoldier, May 23, 2010.

1. LinuxSoldier macrumors newbie

Let's pretend we are in an alternate reality. Lets say that apple corporation never came to be, and there is no such thing as OSx. Everything else, however, is the same. What operating system would you use, and why?

I would use Ubuntu (a distro of Linux). I actually really like it, a lot. I used to love Apple computers, but I could never afford one, because I was always too poor. Oh well. Ill get one eventually

Anywho, what would you all use?

2. vegas-steven macrumors regular

windows xp.
    it is still a good OS.

3. LinuxSoldier thread starter macrumors newbie

I like XP. A lot of good memories with xp. But windows 7 is pretty friggin incredible.

4. djellison macrumors 68020

Win 7. It's what I use about half the time now ( the other half being OSX ). I'd have an android phone and be very happy with it as well.

5. LinuxSoldier thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Blackberry Storm. But I want a Droid so bad.

6. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

So in this "alternate reality," OSes that exist in this reality exist in their current forms? Wouldn't the fact that Apple and thus OS X do not exist drastically alter the outcome of computing?

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I agree with Ubuntu as a solid choice it runs great on cheap hardware. I dual boot on my mac and on my dell laptop using Ubuntu. my Dell has a windows partition but I don't use it very much except to troubleshoot the rest of the windows PCs in the house through the LAN

9. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Of course, but I don't think that's really in the spirit of the OPs thread. I'd be running Ubuntu as well, as I enjoyed that OS well enough before I went back to OS X. I also keep hearing good things about Windows 7, so I'd probably give that a try too.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Well if the spirit of the thread is to ignore what an alternate reality entails... Why not just call it "my first functional reality."

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Windows XP & Ubuntu for sure.

Maybe Windows 7 -- we'll see.

14. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I think Linux would have been way more popular right now as a Windows alternative, if there were no OS X. Google would have been quicker to release an OS as well. Perhaps another company that we have never heard of would have come along and offered an awesome OS. There would be a void that I'm sure would be trying to get filled. I shutter at the thought.

15. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

OS/2. In my alternate reality, no one fell for the Windows 95 marketing hoopla. IBM actually began to sell OS/2 to real people, after addressing their button-down-shirt all-business issues.

Viruses never existed.

Bill Gates took a job running a tour boat out in the bay. Melinda married Bill Clinton, and she became president.

And the best brownies in the world come from a little company called WozJobs, out in California. They opened franchises all across the country. Their brownies are pretty good, but you can only eat them with a special fork that costs $100 each.

There. That's an alternate reality. We now return to regular reality, already in progress.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the humorous post. :)

You do bring up an interesting alternative with OS/2 vs Windows.

17. the vj macrumors 6502a

Of course Atari

The Atari ST computers were light years ahead of Apple, the problem was that the owner left the company to his two sons who had no experience or talent and that was it.

I actually had a hard time switching to Mac when I had no more support for my Atari ST. It was like... what ever... at least I had an option.

But without Apple I believe someone would have taken over Atari and developed it.

18. danielcox macrumors member

19. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

I went over to OSX as I was a UNIX geek, so probably would have gone to some flavor of linux

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Linux was utter pants back in the late 90s early 2000's if you had a lot of peripherals (as I did back then). I lasted 3 or 4 months on a Gentoo build then had no choice but get to get my life back and install Windows. Unless Linux has drastically improved since those days, then I'd be on Windows I guess..

Also, all the healthy food would taste like cake and cinnamon danishes.

21. ethical macrumors 68000

I've never used Windows 7, so I'd probably have a tinker with that, while using XP on my other machines.

22. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

That, I was serious about. OS/2 was excellent then. And REXX rocked.
    But nooooo, 95 was shiny and had minesweeper...

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. Liked OS/2. It had a lot of potential.

Snort. We as humans are a distracted lot by Bling. :p :D

24. robj macrumors regular

Haiku OS ( the evolution of BeOS ) would be my choice.

You can run, Firefox, Quake III and VLC, what else can you need? :)

25. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Computers, Windows, and any other OS wouldn't be what they are today without OS X. So I'm not really sure.