Let's say I wanted to trade my HP notebook for a macbook...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Let's say I wanted to trade my HP notebook for a macbook here on MacRumors or on craigslist or wherever. How would we go about doing that? I mean I would consider myself trustworthy as the "trader" would most likely consider themselves as well. Unless I am ill-informed there is no official "way" of doing this? I just see the "No you send yours first" type thing coming up. I would be very disapointed if my $1400 notebook was "stolen".

(Yes, I just used 23484293 quotes) :p

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You would want to find someone that had good eBay feedback or other reliable feedback or you do this in person.

3. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I'd go for Craigslist if possible -- meet the other person in a public place, and you can both turn on the computers and check that they work as advertised. Otherwise you just have to rely on various measures of reputation, whether that's ebay feedback, or forum members who've done business with each other.

4. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

***When I just edited this post the normal "save" button said "Vote now!"....??? WEIRD!

I'm pretty sure the in person thing is out of the question. That'd be an ironic coincidence if the tradee lived in P'cola as well. Ha. What do y'all think I could get for an HP HDX 16 (400GB HDD 4GB RAM Blu-Ray, GHz Core 2 Duo, Windows 7) machine?

Hmmm...

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most Mac users are not going to trade a Mac for a pc laptop.

You have to sell it first.

Yeah it's a bug. Sometimes it would say something else. But the left button is save.

6. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Good eBay feedback means nothing.

One of the ways organized crime syndicates launder money is through eBay and stolen credit cards.

If I go to eBay right now, I can create two accounts. A1 and A2. A1 sells 10,000 white pixels to A2. A2 gives A1 10,000 positive feedbacks. A1 then gives A2 10,000 positive feedbacks.

It cost nearly nothing, and you now have two STELLAR looking accounts. Wait the 30-90 days for the links to stop showing you what was bought, and now nobody can check up to see if you really did sell 10,000 things with positive feedback to different people.

It's fascinating how they make their money.

So, I derailed the thread a little, but hopefully somebody sees it and knows to get other references beyond the good feedback on eBay.

To the original question, trades? Never. You're going to need to sell it, and then go buy a Macbook. If it's new enough, it will have a warranty attached, which will be a major selling point.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't do it any other way than what you just described.

8. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

March 2009
    And thanks for the input.

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Sell your current computer, then go purchase a MacBook.

My honest advice.

10. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I just DREAD the thought of having no computer from time a to time b.

11. splitpea macrumors 6502a

12. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Word. Haha.