Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
I have yet to see a shattered Stainless Steel Apple Watch screen, has anyone come across any? If so post a photo of it!

*EDIT* being more specific about the screens shattering.

Last edited:

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
"If you do run it over with a car, it's going to be completely ruined"

No kidding! Who came up with this as a an idea for a video? Sheesh!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
My experience

IMG_2441.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Just FYI I think the sapphire screens are more prone to shattering than the glass ones due to the crystal structure of sapphire. But they're way less susceptible to scratches because of the hardness. These are very different properties!

Scratch resistance is highly important with a device that goes in and out of pockets and can come up against keys and other junk all the time. Also helps if you're good at knocking it with a seat belt buckle, as I am. But nothing will ever be scratchproof or shatterproof. Diamonds can scratch other diamonds, and enough force will break anything. If a meteorite were to come in and hit your Apple Watch, it will shatter the hell out of the whole thing and likely take your arm with it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Most of the screen breaks happen while putting your watch on or off so I always make it a point to do this over a soft surface like the bed or a towel. Letting it drop to a ceramic tile floor will break either type screen.

Three weeks now and my 42SS has not a single scratch! Loving it!

egghead6398

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Mine shattered and had to spend $355 for repair/replacement, but Amex's purchase protection covered it for me.

5Nh77XSXMd9DTVs3ZKIBOd-R-_p-XXa7aq8vEIOKkLM

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Yeah, but the only risk is dropping it while putting it on. How many people drop a watch?

I dont think I've ever dropped a watch before *knocks on wood* but Im not surprised many others on here have with the pictures to show the damage too. :confused:

I guess another common thing would be someone while moving around accidentally swings their arm into a very hard surface. That also may cause it to shatter.

I was just asking about the shatter resistance because when I ask different apple store workers that if it's true that the sapphire is more shatter prone than the Ion-X they look at me like I'm crazy and say that's false.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Ouch!

I try to be extra careful with devices, especially when I'm around concrete and brick surfaces. I feel like they're a magnet, drawing my watch in, waiting to destroy the screen... o_O but maybe I'm just paranoid. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.