Let's See Your Activity Monitor

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Let's post Activity Monitor Screenies.

After reading another thread about OS X and memory usage, I opened Activity Monitor and watched the System Memory screen for a while. Interesting! Safari was hogging and I had a couple of "listening" apps (IF remote control, Wacom Driver). I deleted the remote app from Start Up items, logged out, plugged in the Tablet and logged back in. I then proceeded to do a typical load on my PB. Illustrator, Photoshop, Mail, etc. Nothing huge. Well, I saw the green "free memory" slowly disappear. Here is my Activity Monitor. That is one tiny sliver of green! Time for more RAM, dammit! Or is it...?

In any case, let's post our typical-day Activity Monitor. Maybe we can help each other out, learn new things; at least it will be fun seeing the software and processes other MacRumborites run. Shift+Command+4, Space. Click. Post!

Attachments

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Okay. I only had a couple apps open, so I opened dreamweaver, photoshop, and iPhoto, just to give the computer a run. Just a little sliver of green, but not much difference on the "inactive" front. Not sure what this proves.

Attachments

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
First Question

Please excuse me if this is commom knowledge: I don't know what WindowsServer is, but I notice it takes ~50 MB or real memory in our set ups; actually, mine is the lowest at 47MB. I've noticed that after I exit single-user mode, the last thing I see before I see the ususal start-up screen is "starting windoes server..." Interesting. Is that the process that basically runs our graphics? OpenGL? I am confusing myself.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
My Grab

Opened up a few apps to test it a bit (although I am no stanger to Activity Monitor (or Process Viewer as it was formerly called))
It seems the sliver of green always stays (VM management i guess)

PowerBook G3 500MHz - lots of lovely apps, and only 384MB RAM - I win! :)

Don't think I'll be so smug when 10.4 arrives - likely not to run! :(

I should think windows server it the thingy that translates core unix stuff into lovely graphics and feedback and so onto the desktop - no small task!
At 37Mb I win again! Old machines rule! :D

Attachments

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
ok heres mine, take a look, there seems to be a lot more stuff in it (not apps) that none of u guys have...i don't know if ithis is a problem but ram doesnt' seem to free up after its used by an app when i quit...dunno if its normal or not

Attachments

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Balin64 said:
Please excuse me if this is commom knowledge: I don't know what WindowsServer is, but I notice it takes ~50 MB or real memory in our set ups; actually, mine is the lowest at 47MB. I've noticed that after I exit single-user mode, the last thing I see before I see the ususal start-up screen is "starting windoes server..." Interesting. Is that the process that basically runs our graphics? OpenGL? I am confusing myself.
Window server is responsible for drawing graphics on screen. Just watch it take 100 % of you CPU when you move your mouse in the dock to it animates all dock icons there. Or drag a window to another place ;)

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Is it normal for the "kernel_task" process running under the user "root" to use up 563MB of Virtual RAM right after bootup without starting any apps except Activity Monitor?

Without anything but Activity Monitor running I have 13MB free. This is on a 1.5Ghz 15" PB with 512MB RAM.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England

wow, I don't know what some of those things are :eek: I didn't know that I was using up so much space either.

I do wish I knew how to change the name of the computer; I sort of dislike that it's labelled as my actual name. (I didn't realize it would do that when I first started setting it up.) I blurred out my last name in photoshop
{{shrugs}} I guess there are worse problems to have. ;)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
iBlue said:
I do wish I knew how to change the name of the computer; I sort of dislike that it's labelled as my actual name. (I didn't realize it would do that when I first started setting it up.) I blurred out my last name in photoshop
Easy...

System Preferences -> Sharing prefpane -> Computer Name..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.