Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
No one has mentioned this. Now clearly Apple is finally updating the resolution to 1080p and 1440p on the bigger model of what will be the iPhone 7

Question is how that affects the RAM requirements. My guess is they cheap out. And what I mean is 2GB RAM is likely gonna be enough for 1080p on the regular sized version. But the bigger iPhone 7 will likely need 3GB of RAM. What if they just stay at 2GB here too ?

Will any of that affect your buying decision because Specs and a new CPU can be great but what's the point if there is no RAM increase.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
2GB works just fine. Why have a RAM increase for the sake of specs?

The reason people were pandering after a 2GB RAM upgrade in the first place was due to a noticeably detrimental effect. Safari reloading pages after closing/reopening the app, due to lack of RAM. Memory-hungry applications freezing for minutes at a time, and home button unresponsive during this. Crashes in the logs which indicated the problems were due to a lack of free memory.

Also, throwing better specs without real consideration is such a lazy way to get better performance. It means that the OS can afford to be more bloated, and less optimised to sing on the limitations of the hardware. Not only do older devices suffer, but it leads to hand-over-fist annual hardware upgrades just to maintain an appropriate amount of OS fluidity. Just look at Android devices. Octacore 2GHz CPUs with 4GB RAM, absolutely smoked by a device with 'half' the specs on paper.

And finally, 2GB RAM was only introduced with the iPhone 6S. They had 1GB for ages before that. I think you're being pretty unreasonable.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
First off, I see nothing in MacRumors' iPhone 7 rumor rundown to suggest that the 7Plus is getting an upgraded display. The 6 has a 1334-by-750-pixel resolution/326 ppi display, the 6Plus is 1920-by-1080/401 ppi. No hints that will be changing, no hint that the 6Plus has been hampered by the lack of RAM.

You're also confusing video playback standards with screen resolution. 1440p isn't even a viable standard - show me any significant content distributed in that standard. The only step-up that would please anyone is a move from 1080p to 4K - 4096x2160. No hint of that happening. Besides, video playback isn't heavily dependent on CPU RAM - you should be screaming for more video RAM.

3GB is hardly unmentioned in the iPhone 7 rumors. Again, look at what MacRumors has to say about it. However, the reason attributed to a possible move to 3GB RAM is the demands that may be placed upon the system by a two-lens camera system. Even that speculation is of dubious value, as, again, the better place to do that sort of work is the GPU, not CPU.

This is just another "I want more RAM" thread. More is better. More is always better. Even when there's no demonstrated need for it.

And how many times does someone have to say "cheap-out" in regard to Apple, as if, somehow, the cost of components does not trickle down to the selling price of the product? You can wish that Apple intentionally takes a cut in its profit margin, but why should any business do that, unless there's good reason to believe they will more than make up for that cut in increased sales? Just how many additional iPhone 7Pluses do you think 3GB of RAM will sell?

A company has to deliver their product at a price that appeals to the public. A fair part of the art of designing electronics gear is to spend money on components that will sell more product. Which sales pitch is going to sell more iPhones, "Look at what this new, dual-lens camera can do," or "We upped the RAM by 1GB?" (And I don't mean, "Which sales pitch will the person who hopes for 3GB prefer," I mean, "Which sales pitch will tens or hundreds of millions of non-techie consumers respond to?")

Reactions: ABC5S

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No one has mentioned this. Now clearly Apple is finally updating the resolution to 1080p and 1440p on the bigger model of what will be the iPhone 7

Question is how that affects the RAM requirements. My guess is they cheap out. And what I mean is 2GB RAM is likely gonna be enough for 1080p on the regular sized version. But the bigger iPhone 7 will likely need 3GB of RAM. What if they just stay at 2GB here too ?

Will any of that affect your buying decision because Specs and a new CPU can be great but what's the point if there is no RAM increase.

If not happy with it DO NOT BUY IT!

Reactions: Sunny1990 and ABC5S

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have seen any credible sources that indicate that Apple will be upping the screen resolution on the iPhones it releases this fall (feel free to correct me if someone has a link to a credible leak). I suspect Apple will use the same IPS LCD panels that are in the current 6s/plus in the next gen and are saving the big screen upgrades (OLED, likely along with a resolution increase) for the 2017 iPhones. I think it is unlikely that we will see a RAM increase this generation either, although if the Plus/Pro variant comes with a dual lens camera as rumours indicate, it may also get 3 GB of RAM if extra RAM is needed for efficient image processing.

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
2gb. it took them long enough to update it from 1. they wouldn't just update to 2 and then update again after a year.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
3GB after just moving to 2GB with the current generation of phones, and even the 9.7" iPad Pro sporting 2GB? When even 1GB devices still run iOS smoothly?

Nope. Not going to happen so soon.

Reactions: CiccioAtSea

Phonefanman

Suspended
Jun 21, 2016

They should up the resolution on all iPhones, it's 2016 everyone else seems to be doing it..
[doublepost=1467935389][/doublepost]
They should up the resolution on all iPhones, it's 2016 everyone else seems to be doing it.. it kind of erks me that the standard iPhone 7 going to have the same display as iPhone 6??? If true that's crazy, time to improve the screen

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I expect 2GB

Those coming from an iPhone 6/6+ and prior will notice a large difference with multi tasking
[doublepost=1467936377][/doublepost]
3GB after just moving to 2GB with the current generation of phones, and even the 9.7" iPad Pro sporting 2GB? When even 1GB devices still run iOS smoothly?

Nope. Not going to happen so soon.

I agree with you, but just pointing out: Apple has increased RAM in 2 successive iPhone generations before: iPhone 3G to 3GS to 4 (128MB to 256MB to 512MB)

Phonefanman

Suspended
Jun 21, 2016
Not sure if connected, but those stories about older iPhones not running the newest updated iOS properly could be wake up call to Apple. They have done a great job with memory management, but those older iphones and newest iOS haven't always went so smooth. At least in the past. Maybe a class action suit cured them?

Just maybe that little extra memory won't hurt. Apple will spend a fortune to figure how to tweak its software before spending any extra adding more memory. Way they always been. Tweak software that can run on the cheapest hardware possible....

if the standard iPhone 7 doesn't have a 1080p screen not sure I'll buy it just based on principal , my old nexus 5 had 1080p and that's considered a budget phone...iPhone cost way way to much to have a budget phone show it up in screen quality..A 3 year old budget phone at that....

The reason I think people are more displeased with iPhone these days because apple are pinching to many pennies and keep giving us more of the same....$650 for the cheapest phone is plenty to start beefing its hardware up... You think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
iphone_7_plus_rear-250x392.jpg

Okay. So the 7 Plus is getting 3 GB RAM. My bad.

Considering iPhones used 1 GB RAM for three generations and I own two Androids and one WP with only 1 GB RAM and made them smooth and lightweight, I should have no worries with 2GB RAM for the regular 7. Similar to WP, iOS isn't very RAM hungry like Android.

Actually if the iPhone 7 got only 1 GB RAM, I would still be fine. Android's RAM hungry taught me how to emulate Project Svelte with Greenify's app hibernation. Something iOS already does with its apps by default. The irony is Android's bloaty services turning on is what made me a minimalist and frugal with RAM usage, battery life, and apps.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Okay. So the 7 Plus is getting 3 GB RAM. My bad.

Considering iPhones used 1 GB RAM for three generations and I own two Androids and one WP with only 1 GB RAM and made them smooth and lightweight, I should have no worries with 2GB RAM for the regular 7. Similar to WP, iOS isn't very RAM hungry like Android.

Actually if the iPhone 7 got only 1 GB RAM, I would still be fine. Android's RAM hungry taught me how to emulate Project Svelte with Greenify's app hibernation. Something iOS already does with its apps by default. The irony is Android's bloaty services turning on is what made me a minimalist and frugal with RAM usage, battery life, and apps.

/facepalm

The 1gb of ram on the 6 and especially 6+ was totally disgusting. Couldn't keep more than 2 tabs in memory and would crash apps if you tried to multitask. No optimization can fix things after a certain point. This is why the 6S so amazing. You can actually use it properly.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
2G - 128MB
3G - 128MB
3GS - 256MB
4 - 512MB
4S - 512MB
5 / 5C - 1GB
5S - 1GB
6 - 1GB
6S / SE - 2GB

Historically, it's roughly every 2-3 years that they double bump the ram. I'd be surprised if the bumped it again in the next generation; the only reason that the iPhone 4 got a bump after a year was go give some extra memory for the first Retina display.

Reactions: CiccioAtSea

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The 7 will probably have 2gb Ram while the 7 Plus may have 3Gb because of the dual camera. Personally I don't go in for all the spec war stuff, the iPhone has often had far less Ram and specs in the past, and has still been the better phone than most on the market.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
3gb on their 7+ or their Pro means little. More pages in RAM...that's all it amounts to.

2gb is plenty for ios10.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
It iOS 10 release version is anything like the betas, the new iPhone will ned 3gb or ram. Multitasking has takn a hit on iOS 10 Beta. Safari won't keep tabs alive and apps get killed in the background quite a bit.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
At least Apple is feeling a little more generous this year. $399-$499 iPhone SE with specs of a $750 6s. Offering 32/128/256GB this time. A $100 discount. And for the second straight year, a Plus model gets another gig of RAM. They still make hand over fist on their customers.

Tim Cook is a great accountant. Not a great CEO, leader, or showman. Doesn't inspire. He is best at juggling the books. When was the last time you remember a memorable Apple ad? When was the last Apple presentation that wowed you? It is like what Steve Jobs once said in a board meeting. "WHERE IS THE SEX?"

That's the new Apple for you. Bland. Like Tim Cook's personality. Great accountant though for Apple. Crunches numbers. Take care of inventory. Profit margins. No fresh, SEXY ideas and marketing from the Cook era though. Situation still better than Gil Amelio's...

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
At least Apple is feeling a little more generous this year. $399-$499 iPhone SE with specs of a $750 6s. Offering 32/128/256GB this time. A $100 discount. And for the second straight year, a Plus model gets another gig of RAM. They still make hand over fist on their customers.

Tim Cook is a great accountant. Not a great CEO, leader, or showman. Doesn't inspire. He is best at juggling the books. When was the last time you remember a memorable Apple ad? When was the last Apple presentation that wowed you? It is like what Steve Jobs once said in a board meeting. "WHERE IS THE SEX?"

That's the new Apple for you. Bland. Like Tim Cook's personality. Great accountant though for Apple. Crunches numbers. Take care of inventory. Profit margins. No fresh, SEXY ideas and marketing from the Cook era though. Situation still better than Gil Amelio's...

Apart from the showmanship, I don't really see much difference, Apple still makes products that I use and love to use on a daily basis. I think that is the difference as well, it's that people love to use Apple products rather than having too. For example I never here people say they love to use a Windows PC, in fact I here more about how frustrating it is to use one.

Is Tim Cook as good as Steve Jobs? Personally I think it's an unfair comparison, Steve Jobs was the founder and owner of Apple (along with Woz) he dedicated a lot of time to the company, but Steve wasn't perfect he also got things wrong and made mistakes with products that ultimately were not successful. I suppose only time will tell, but I wouldn't be so ready to have Tim Cook fired just yet ;)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
It iOS 10 release version is anything like the betas, the new iPhone will ned 3gb or ram. Multitasking has takn a hit on iOS 10 Beta. Safari won't keep tabs alive and apps get killed in the background quite a bit.

If this indeed is the case, the 6 and iPhones before it, will run like hell on ios10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.