Let's Speculate!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Nov 22, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hey guys, this is MacRumors afterall, and I personally think speculating is fun. Whether it's speculating about whose going to win the Superbowl, what trades your favorite baseball team will look like in the offseason, who would make a good couple, or what Apple's lineup will look like! :D

Right now I have the flu, so I have nothing better to do, here is what I think the iPod lineup should look like by fall 2009:

APPLE COMPLETE 2009 iPod Lineup:

I personally think they are going to get rid of the 8GB, and have three iPod Touch models:

iPod Touch: 16 GB - $149, 32 GB w/ camera - $249$, 64 GB w/ camera - $349

Basically the same iPod touch, with a camera built in, louder speakers, better battery life, more memory, cheaper, better 3D capabilities, and a more refined OS. The 16 GB iPod Touch will NOT have the camera.

Apple will then drop the iPod Nano, update the Classic but also make it so it can conveniently be used as an external hard drive for any Mac or PC. This would be perfect for the everyday college student who needs extra space but doesn't want to carry a hefty external hard drive and iPod with him, or the everyday business man working in a call center. Apple would of course have to make the iPod Classic software to make it be used as both an external hard drive and iPod conveniently. These are what the iPod Classic lineup should look like:

iPod Classic: 160 GB - $199, 320 GB - $299

Apple will also update the iPod Shuffle completely, and make it so that it has an easier interface, instead of constantly tapping the forward button to skip through a song, the person with the iPod Shuffle has the shuffle in his pocket, but also a little remote control piece that goes in his hand. The iPod shufle itself doesn't have any buttons, but the wireless controller does. The wireless controller if designed right can fit perfectly in one's hand and you control the iPod from there. This would be 10x more convenient for people running while using a shuffle or working out, what the shuffle is mainly manufactured for. Addition to this, when you aren't working out or whatever, you also can connect the wireless controller and iPod Shuffle itself together and use it like it has been previously. The iPod Shuffle would also come with bluetooth headphone capability.

iPod Shuffle: 4 GB - $59, 8 GB - $99

iPhone Lineup:

Apple will increase the battery life of the iPhone, a better camera, and the memory of the iPhone. It will also receive 4G if it is out then, and get a more refined OS along with the touch. Apple will also make it have even better 3D capabilities, and sign more companies to make games for the new Touch and iPhone for iTunes. Apple will also make it so that Flash is optional on the iPod Touch and iPhone. If you want better battery life, Flash would be turned off. This would also make it so game designers have more options. Apple's game designers will start to develop games that takes advantage of the iPhone and iPod Touch's better graphics capabilities, therefore some games will not be able to be played on 2G and 1G Touches and iPhones.

iPhone: 32 GB - $199, 64 GB - $299

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why do people keep asking for better speakers?

Get me a speaker that fits in a touch thats louder and doesnt sound like complete trash, is cost effective, and ill kiss your ...

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I just speculate a possible 32GB iPhone. I don't know what else will happen to the rest of the Apple line. Lol

Sorry you have the flu... I have it too! But for being sick, you have some pretty good speculations. ;)

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

To be quite honest, manufacturing costs have hit rock bottom due to the horrible economy, so I bet by 2009 Apple can put in better speakers and still make a profit.

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I definitely don't see them canceling the ipod nano... What would make you think that? They just recently gave it an amazing upgrade.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Those prices are too low, and I don't see Apple including a camera anytime soon.

Drop the nano? Not a chance. Also, I don't see Apple over complicating their iPod software. You can already use any iPod as a disk drive; I suppose the process could be slightly refined, but overall it's solid.

The iPod shuffle is already a remote that can be held in your hand (without having to keep an iPod in your pocket). Also, those storage capacities are too high; when your music is random there's no need to store more than 250-500 songs, unless you plan on listening to your music for over 25 hours straight.

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Because the Nano doesn't fit in the lineup when the Touch gets so cheap. Apple will most likely want to continue pushing out people to buy more software, and the Touch has way easier capability than the Nano when you think about it. The Nano at about the same price of a Touch would be pointless, most people would go for the Touch with the online capabilities, bigger screen, and gaming capabilities. Apple wants to push innovation.

I suppose thinking about it, splitting up the iPod Shuffle into two pieces does kinda sound dumb, but the shape of the iPod Shuffle does not fit well in somebody's hand, and having it in your hand with wired earphones is pointless.

I actually think the prices are pretty accurate, manufacturing costs are going way down, and people are starting to forget more about luxuries, Apple hardware is a luxury.

Right now, the Classic is basically used for the "anyone who has a lot of music on his iTunes". If Apple were to successfully iron out the process of having it be used as an external drive along with an iPod, and market the hell out of that, the iPod Classic market would reach to way more people.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Seeing as there's no current 320Gb 1.8" drive and that Apple never seem to use the latest parts, I'd hazard a guess that we'll see a 120Gb and 250Gb iPod Classic with the Sept 2008 Toshiba drives in them.

9. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

They will lower the nano prices when/if they lower touch prices more. If you have an iPhone and want a small iPod for use while running/walking/etc the nano is a great choice.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193