Let's talk about best settings on wireless router to make iPad WiFi connection faster

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by lily69, Apr 9, 2010.

1. lily69 macrumors regular

I have my router has following settings:

802.11g/n mixed, channel width 20MHz
    Security Mode WAP-Personal
    WAP mode auto (WPA and WPA2)
    Cipher Type TKIP and AES

I am seeing 20-39M speed, on other laptops and desktop, the speed is more than 54M-100M.

Wonder if there is better settings to make it faster, currently, browsing isn't as fast, like this forum, typical page load time is more than 10 seconds, while on laptop/destop is less than 2-3 seconds.

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

There has been talk about wifi issues on the iPad, I am using a mifi 3G connection and it only takes 3 or 4 seconds to load a page here on MR. At home my iPad is easily as fast as my iMac, zero issues here. Might wanna check out some of the suggestions to help wifi speeds on the iPad. Google search will show a few links. Good Luck.

3. ygate macrumors newbie

What is the router model your using?

4. boatski macrumors regular

D-Link DGL 4300
    G only
    WAP2 Personal AES

Browsing is fast for me. My only issue is the 10-15 seconds it takes to connect when I unlock it, lol.

5. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

How are you testing your speed and I'm assuming that's 20mbps-39mbps? If so, how are you getting 54-100mbps?

I have FiOS with 35mbps downlink and 35mbps uplink. I connect my iPad via 802.11n to a DLink 825 on 5ghz dedicated N. I get 35mbps/35mbps on my iPad and 35mbps/35mbps on my laptop because that's the maximum throughput of my internet connection.

Of course, my laptop when connecting to my NAS can easily do 220mbps but I have no way to test the max on my iPad unless you know a way??

6. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Wow...10-15 seconds, really? That would drive me nuts.

Mine connects instantly...like literally instantly to where I have never even had to pay attention to it. I figured it was like this for everyone.

Im using a Linksys WAP54G Wireless Access Point.

7. mozartwon macrumors member

I have Fios also, the fastest times i've ever recorded on my Ipad is 10mbps download and 4.49 upload, and that's right next to the router! what am I doing wrong?

8. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I have FiOS too and my iPhone 3GS runs very quickly on my WiFi and it connects instantly.

I have my iPad 3G doesn't give me any WiFi issues.

9. fishepa macrumors regular

I'm sure Fios has different tiers of internet service, maybe you have a lower tier.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I love this thread! It reminds me of how kindly I was treated when mentioning Windows 7 had decent touch capabilities after you tweak it a little. iPad faithful (who didn't have one yet) lambasted me as their coming iPad was going to work perfectly out-of-the-box and would require no tinkering whatsoever.

I don't have an iPad yet. I do have 20 or so devices in my house using the Wifi from my D-Link router though. Not one has needed any time spent in my router settings to get working perfectly.

They include:
    HTC Hero (Sprint) android phone.
    2 iPhones, a 2nd gen and a 3GS.
    Three iPod Touch, one 1st gen and two 2nd gen.
    A Zune HD, Zune 80, and Zune 16.
    Archos 9 tablet PC.
    Archos 5 Android tablet.
    Asus EEE netbook.
    Tivo with USB Wifi dongle.
    Wii with WiFi dongle.
    WD TV-2 with WiFi dongle.
    Dell PC using internal WiFi.
    Two Toshiba Laptops.
    An HP laptop.
    Samsung Instinct phone (no longer used).

iPad's WiFi problems are an embarassment. Apple should issue a recall, and replace your iPads free of charge once they fix the issue.

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I wonder if there is something wrong with my iPad. I have a Dual Band TC and I've tried connecting to the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz band.

Macrumors is a little frustrating since I will scroll a little and then have the white/grey checkered, wait a few seconds the rest of the posts display.

My connection is a cable modem - I get about 28 down and 2.25 down (on my MBP speedtest.net).

12. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

Well that was helpful :rolleyes:

Seriously though congrats to you and your 20 wifi devices.

13. wilycoder macrumors 6502

Get a life.

14. fishepa macrumors regular

Congrats on having all those gadgets.

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

It's all in the approach. When one comes out with guns blazing they often are met with staunch resistance. As my dear old mother used to say "It's not always what you do or say but HOW you do or say it." ;)

16. VTMac macrumors 6502

This much is true, given it's the new norm for all of their wifi devices.

This is plain stupid given that it's a software issue. It would be infinitely more inconvenient for everyone to return their iPad and then get a new one issued.

Nice flame too.

17. VTMac macrumors 6502

If you are configured to use dual band, make sure each network is using a different SID. That seems to be the root of most issues.

Sadly nobody at Apple caught this obvious bug.

18. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Or it's a hardware issue. I haven't seen any official response from Apple about it, other than RMAing people's iPads back to Apple. Catching the Wifi signal is hardware (a chip and an antenna). Storing and then recalling the info needed to connect also relies on hardware (the chip and system memory). Everyone's iPad is running the same software, but some people have Wifi troubles. Software isn't the variable here. Hardware is most likely flawed. A bad batch of chips, perhaps. It is stupid to think otherwise. Find and read the thread where Apple expects 40,000 ipads to be returned.

19. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Sorry to bring an old thread back, but this is not the case. It is most deff. a software issue. The iPad just isn't picking up certain signals be it a/b/g/n. Prime signal is N and many people, my self included have an older router where it's only b/g. The signal strength might also be weak coming fro. The router. People have been able to remedy the problem by either getting a new router or changing a few settings.

20. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

Verizon is sending me their newest combo modem/router because my current DSL modem and Linksys router are old. I can't wait to get it early next week and see if I get improved Wifi speed on my iPad.

21. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

Really? My iPad stays connected all the time. I still get push notifications even if I haven't unlocked it for a few hours. I have a Linksys WRT54G.

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

No iPad wifi problems here. I'm getting my full 150mb/s to my router and 50+ mp/s wirelessly around the area.

23. iPadztr macrumors 6502

I don't think it's the iPad... I have the exact same wireless router and it does seem to disconnect my iPad if it's in sleep mode or for inactivity for maybe 5-10 minutes... Now I'm thinking of changing my router to see if the issue still persist... No problem when I'm using my iPad tho' so i have no complaints...

24. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Using AEBS here with different SSIDs, and the iPads were on G for awhile, and now are on N. No problems with either one; always seem connected, I get notifications all the time (as others noted).

That 10 seconds to connect seems like something is really amiss.