Lets talk about Firefox 3.5.3 and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iFanboy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. iFanboy Guest

I've heard reports that the latest release of Firefox, build 3.5.3 is actually quite buggy on Snow Leopard and prone to crashing when you do such outlandish things as click on the "help" menu.

Can anyone confirm?

Since installing SL i've stuck to Safari and wondered whether Firefox worked yet. I would try it, but I like my shiny new OS to stay as pure and unmolested from incompatible programs as it is for a while longer yet ;)

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I installed SL the day it was released and immediately started using Firefox. It hasn't crashed on me once, and I use a lot of plugins.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I've got Firefox 3.5.3 on 64-bit SL and I didn't have any issues.

You should try it, at least... If it doesn't work, wait for 3.5.4 update...;)

4. iFanboy thread starter Guest

Hmm, I may just! Thanks guys!

Btw, is there a 64 bit build for SL yet? I've googled and found nothing, so I guess not, but i've only been a mac user/fanboy for a few months now so there may be a resource to check that I don't know about?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I too run firefox for citrix, which that combo combined should suggest that I should see many crashes ;), but for me it is good. Safari on the other hand crashes almost daily. Sometimes if it doesn't crash for a day it will make up for lost time the next day.

Try opening a can of whoop ass on someone who thinks only poor folk who don't use SSDs in their notebooks and having safari crash before the post is sent. :mad:

Sorry ranty tangent.

6. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

I can't seem to get it installed in such a way that it will allow checking for updates. I even tried uninstalling it (dragging the app to the trash out of Applications), rebooting, logging back in (as my daily non-admin user), and then re-downloading it through Safari. When asked to authenticate in order to write to "Applications", I do like always and give my admin-user creds. It installed fine but STILL doesn't allow *either* user - not even my admin user - to click "check for updates". It stays greyed out even if I'm logged in as that user.

And yes, I checked that my admin user has read/write privs to "Applications". But for some reason it doesn't have write privs to "Firefox" inside there. Do I need to do Unix magic to recursively set every file in there to writable by admin?

7. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I have never heard of having to authenticate the Applications folder?? Are you sure your permissions are all set correctly?

8. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

When you run daily as a non-admin user (as you're supposed to do on any OS for security reasons), you are asked for your admin username and password in order for the install to proceed. Actually, on a Mac I'm pretty sure it asks you to do that anyway even if your main user *is* an admin...

Anyway, I'm thinking this shouldn't be that complicated. I'm just trying to install FF and have it able to check itself for updates!

9. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

10. SMC1991 macrumors member

No. Most browsers aren't 64-bit yet, because they would require a wrapper for the 32-bit plugins, which causes terrible performance, and causes bad browser perception. It's really the chicken and the egg, and let's not wait for Adobe to come around with 64-bit flash.

11. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You might want to read this article for more info.

I saw somewhere (don't remember where, but it was official) the roadmap for Firefox, and 64-bit was planned for Firefox 4, and only for OS X.

So we'll have to wait until 2010, according to this.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

High CPU usage. It's infrequent and I can't find a cause. Rather annoying.

13. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Happens to me too!

Also, DirectoryService uses a lot of CPU when Firefox is loading a page.

14. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

The only issue I've found on Firefox on Snow Leopard is that the "Import..." menu item is greyed out. I can't import my bookmarks, so I'm not using Firefox anymore :)

15. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Firefox at it's current version(3.5.3) crashes when either opening my Add-ons window or checking for updates to Firefox(I had to try different things)

It would especially crash if I opened another window and Firefox was in the background - when brought to the front and opening the Add-ons window, Firefox would hang leaving me no choice but to terminate the app.

This was with a Danish Firefox on a Danish OS X(Snow Leopard of course)

16. nysus macrumors newbie

Firefox 3.5.4 caused SL to crash constantly

Shortly after upgrading to Firefox 3.5.4, my system started crashing constantly and hard (had to force quit the entire machine with the power button). Took me a while to determine that FF was the culprit. After FF had been running for a couple of hours, the machine would just freeze and beachball (though you could close windows, you couldn't do anything beyond that) out of the blue.

I upgraded to 3.6 beta a couple of days back and have not experienced any problems since.