lets talk about the 6750

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfII, Oct 14, 2011.

1. cfII macrumors regular

Does this video card support "shader model 5"?
    I was reading that xplane 10 will require this
    does anybody know?

Flight sims are hard on graphics cards my MBP (specs in sig) wont even COME CLOSE to maxing out the current xplane9 rendering options really leaves alot to be desired especially for a $3000 dollar machine.

2. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

Just found it, it does support shader 5, but I wish it had more beef, will overclocking help in this regard?

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I don't understand what you mean by "I need more beef"
    This baby can run TF2 at all extreme settings and get 50+ fps

4. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

Weak.
    Honestly I just don't think those games are very demanding. Try flying through downtown NY or any urban area in xplane or MSFS. Makes my "top of the line MBP" look like a sideshow.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

[​IMG]

6. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

If you wanted the top of the line gaming experience, you should've either bought a tower PC with two huge graphics cards, or a big lumpy gaming laptop. For by far the most MBP users, the 6750 is more than fine. Anything "beefier" would melt the thing anyway.

7. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

I know im venting little, everyone I talked to that had recommended a MBP said it would run any game "lights out" pfffttt, to think I origionally was gonna stay w the 13"i7 :p

anyway ive found a decent COMPROMISE in the rendering otions for xplane not bad but certainly falls short of my expectations, I love this laptop its amazing just missing the icing on the cake.

----------

just make sure you try it maxed out...lemme know how it goes...

8. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

What about over clicking the graphics card?
    I read the thread about it, would that actually improve my framrates?

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Over clocking? I've never heard over "over clicking"... although it could be a legitimate term for all i know.

10. Prodo123, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

How to ruin your MacBook Pro forever and never get a logic board replacement because it will void your warranty and cause serious damage, just for a +5fps performance boost when really 30fps is all you need for an acceptable gaming experience

On a sidenote,
    stable at 33fps at max settings. Try using ⌘+Q.

11. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

I highly doubt this. Over what city? With everything set to high? Everything?
    Please be honest here, if what u say is true I'm pretty sure there is something seriously wrong w my computer

12. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Exactly as you said.
    I told you, use ⌘+Q instead of the red button

13. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

R u talking about when quiting the program? I use file> quit. What would that matter anyway?

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Completely killing programs frees up system resources. Although it sounds like you're already doing that: [program name]>Quit is the same as Command-Q in most programs.

15. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

i dont know what this guy is talkin about anybody else running xplane in osx on a 2011 mbp?

16. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Sure but if you bought a MBP to play games on you sure picked the wrong notebook computer. The MBP is meant to offer a great balance of features. If you want a kick@ss notebook computer look towards Asus or Alienware (I shudder saying that given the customer support). While your graphics will looks awesome your battery life will be about an hour. Oh, did I mention the weight? And the insanely huge power brick? Well, you get the idea...

I find the MPB to have a great balance of features AND still allow me to play some games on high resolution.

-P

17. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I overclocked mine, stock, it got a 3dMark Vantage PGPU score of ~4200, after overclocking and updating drivers i get ~6900. I undervolted so it is running 8-10C cooler. 95% of the time, my MBP is running on the HD3000 and even on the 6750 I mostly use the stock profiel so I'm not too worried about reliability but overclock at your own risk.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you run off DVDs or did you install everything to the computer?

19. cfII thread starter macrumors regular

I did a FULL install all scenery and was using disc 1 in the optibay for awhile, then I made a disc image and mount that before opening xplane so I can keep the disc in the case. why?