Lets talk about the future...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by CharlieCat666, Mar 30, 2015.

1. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Well, since things seem to be winding down in terms of new information about the watch and we all seem to be settling into the classic "waiting game", how about a thread for some good old fashion wild speculation.

Couple topics off the top of my head:

What will happen to the gen 1 watches when gen 2 comes out?

I still see plenty of iPhone 4's around, sometimes even older models. Will the watch's fashion appeal render older models passé? Do you think a newer look or improved technology would have more of an impact on this?

What are some apps you'd really like to see?

Personally, I'd love a "call my phone" type of app. I've got something like that rigged up on my Pebble now and it is a life saver. A bike speedometer would be cool, too; maybe it could even display horizontally so you wouldn't have to lift your wrist.

What kinds of new straps do you think we'll see and do you think we'll see them before we see a new model? Will gen 1 straps work with newer watches?

2. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I think it will eventually get thinner, and the current bands will be too thick and won't fit in the newer generations. People will complain they have a whole collection of bands which costs more than the watch itself.

It's the same with iPhones. They've got a collection of cases, knowing next years model won't fit it.

3. technosix macrumors 6502a

Except for those emotionally connected to their original, the value will fall at a rate no amount of guesswork at this point could possibly be estimated with any relevance.

Apps, I'm more concerned over all the potential performance crushing bugs it will ship with. If Apple struggled and my iPhone 6 series phones are the worst iPhones I've had since the original, that proves Apple knows exactly how tolerant and flippant their customers are.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If what I think you're asking for then I think that feature is already on the Apple Watch gen 1.
    [​IMG]

Regarding the future, I believe that version 2 of he Apple Watch will be the Watch to own. Apple's history of gen 1 to gen 2 tends to be a drastic difference (cosmetically) but after gen 2 the updates become more iterative were its ok to skip one or two versions before upgrading again.

I owned the first 4 iPhones but after that I started skipping the S cycle upgrading every 2 years instead. I can see the Apple Watch falling into the same position.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It'll be quite some time before the case slims down to the thickness of the current band connectors. It won't happen next year.

6. keigo macrumors regular

Apple will change the charging cable every year :D

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

From iPad 1 to iPad 2 that was a big difference in design but then iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 4 all remained the same. The iPad mini has been unchanged since it launched in 2012 and its now on its 3rd release. The last time the MacBook Air got a redesign was in 2010 (5 yrs ago).

Point being I do believe the design of the Apple Watch will change by gen 2 but Apple will then settle on that design for a while and focus on internal changes. I believe all the bands will also stick around for several years.

8. Wallabe, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

It won't surprise me when all of the current iPhones, iPads, and even the current Apple Watch charging cables will be obsolete. Instead of the usual USB and lightning cable, they will be doing USB-C only. It won't be the first time they abandon their own connections. Firewire, Thunderbolt, Lightning...

Don't be surprise the iPhone 7 will be using a USB-C to USB-C cable to connect to sync and charge. Apple still has time between the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 7 to introduce newer revision of their Mac lineup with the USB-C ports and other companies making accessories with those connections.

When Apple introduced the iPhone 5 with the new connector, other companies who made accessories for it, like Bose sounddock, had to catch up and make a new version of it or make an adapter to get it to work. Base on Apple's track record, Apple doesn't have a problem upsetting the market, just the same way they introduced lightning and USB-C. Lots of people scrambling and worrying but eventually the market catches up.

9. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

For me, it's way to early to talk about the future of the Apple Watch when it's not released yet and when Apple is hesitant to share more information about it, which is pretty curious. I'm still not convinced they shared all of what the watch can do. Maybe they're still actively working on the software. I hope so. :)

Anyway, I don't even think it'll be a yearly upgrade as the iPhone. Maybe 2 years? You know, I think it's possible that Apple decides to upgrade the Sport and the Watch collections once every two years or so, and the Edition once every 5 years. That would make sense to me.

I don't think I will upgrade to the second gen, unless it has vastly better battery life, which is unlikely, more sensors I would actually use(someone said BAC sensor, which would be pretty cool!), and waterproofing, maybe a front facing camera too. So I'm planning on going all out this gen. Steel watch, sport band at first, then get the Milanese Loop later on, etc.

10. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Fair enough, but rumors have at least some level of truth to them. Okay maybe not all of them. :D

In my defense, I did post some of my speculations :)

12. Wallabe, Mar 31, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

My speculation is Apple will make it a yearly upgrade like the iPhones and iPads, along with their Macs. The consumer are the cows, and Apple is milking it. Anyone in denial should look at their quarterly earnings for the last 8 years since the first iPhone launch.

They have been ruthlessly successful. 2008/2009 recession? No such thing at Apple. :D

13. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

IF a Watch version 2 comes out in a year I just do not see it being that different from the current one. With the iPad there was a big outcry for a camera. As far as I can tell even from the thousands of messages posted here there just is no huge missing feature they MUST fix quickly in the next version.

There COULD be minor upgrade items like more memory or a 20% battery gain but they would likely not be enough for most to upgrade (kind of like I never needed to upgrade my iPad 2 and still use it every day).

There could be different package options or straps quite easily without a big engine change.

I might have predicted a lower end model coming out but the cheap iPhones were a horrible disappointment so I doubt they will bother.

14. Defender2010, Mar 31, 2015

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Really? Another thread full of questions nobody can answer?! At least word your post with room for discussion.
    I could easily (even though any answers are total guesswork) just go:
    Nothing
    None
    No

15. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

You must have missed the OP's entire first sentence, the part where they say "how about a thread for some good old fashion wild speculation". I'm pretty certain they were aware nobody could answer them, that's why it's speculation...

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Apologies

18. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

For iPhones, the first "one to own" was the 3GS (which was the third) and I think since then, the S version is always the best, as it takes the redesign and adds some power behind the scenes. I'd rather get the S versions and skip the initial redesigns. With the watch though, this could all be different.

19. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

Gen 2 will be the one to own for sure, but I wonder if the Gen 1 will be kind of a badge of honor for early adopters, at least for awhile. I actually have a friend who was using a Gen 1 iPhone that was in good condition up until just a few months ago (not because of money, he bought the unsubsidized 6). Anyway, we were always like "check out Shannon's OG iPhone guys! Still ticking!"

As for apps, I'm curious about how Nike Plus will function. We know it's coming, I'm just eager to give it a try.

I can see Apple expanding the straps eventually, but for now, I'm interested in what kinds of 3rd party straps we'll see.

20. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

When they do release a second gen, the first gen will likely stick around to be the lower cost model as is the case with iPhone/iPad.

There will be a huge market for used watches on eBay and elsewhere.

21. bumpylumpy macrumors member

Regarding adding sensors, I'm not sure exactly what kind of sensors the Apple Watch could add.

The only one I think of is adding an optical glucose meter so diabetics (and pre-diabetics) can monitor blood sugar levels. However, the only meters that exist now that seem to do this are finger-based, and they aren't terribly accurate. I suspect this is one of the sensors Apple was considering and later dropped, and until this tech matures enough that you can read this data from the back of your wrist. There are also non-optical versions of this, but I doubt anyone is going to want their watch pricking their skin!

When this sensor matures, I would like to see it included in the Apple Watch, but I suspect it's many years away.

22. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

it could have a facetime camera
    it could be thinner
    it could have a magical battery (capacitor that does full charge in a matter of seconds?)
    it could have an LED light in the crown for use as flashlight
    it could go edge to edge with screen
    there could be the 'perfect' 40mm size ;)

23. CharlieCat666 thread starter macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

I disagree, the 3G and 3Gs both felt cheap compared to the original. Obviously they had some of the missing features we all needed, but the 3G and 3Gs were my least favorite iPhones.

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Apple missed their mark on the number of health metrics they could track.
    And it's the reason I'm not interested enough to line up on launch day. Just heartbeat? meh, boring.

Sweat rate and electrolyte composition analysis would have been amazing, I think there were some patents linked to that.

Thinner, better battery life.

There are a multitude of improvements to come.

25. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

The 4S was my first experience since I am on Verizon, so I never actually got hands on with the 3G or 3GS. I was just going by hearsay. Before I had that, I had an LG Chocolate, then a Droid and a Droid X *shudder*