Let's talk Auto-Brightness

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blurb23, Jun 28, 2010.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else feel like their Auto-Brightness on their iPhone 4 makes their screen too dim?

I have my screen set at around 50% brightness at all times, with Auto-Brightness on. Almost always, I feel like the brightness is giving is far too dim; a lot of times it's just better to take it off.

The Auto-Brightness was great on my 3G, but on my 4, it's a complete hassle.

2. james92se macrumors 6502a

I really never liked auto-brightness on any of my iPhones. I've always turned it off as I found it mostly just annoying because I would always have to manually change it anyway

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I thought so to, so I just turned the brightness up a bit. That seems to help...

4. ianray macrumors 6502

I have Auto-Brightness enabled, and the brightness slider is just below the 'i' of 'Brightness' in the status bar. In my experience this works well in daylight, and sunshine, but it is almost too dim in low light conditions. I have always felt that the 'auto' behaviour is flawed, but have no specific data to justify that feeling.

5. cirial macrumors regular

Anyone have an issue that when auto brightness senses your in a well lit environment it brightens the display but then when you immediately go back to a low light environment it does NOT auto dim back unless u lock and unlock your device??

6. smg30 macrumors newbie

Mine iP4 auto-brightness behaves like this, too (too dim in low light or doesn't dim at all when going into low light). It is annoying. I had the original iPhone for 3 years and auto-brightness worked flawlessly. I never thought about the auto-brightness after setting it when I first got the phone.

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

A little off topic...

Where is the ambient light sensor on the iPhone 4 anyway? Does it just use the proximity sensor? Does it use the front facing camera? I noticed the Otterbox just has cutouts for the speaker, proximity sensor, and front facing camera.

8. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Has anyone else noticed that moving from 0-50% brightness isn't much of a change, but then 50-100% is a huge change?(Maybe it's just the lighting I am in plus auto-brightness). The only time I have a real issue is in sunlight trying to unlock it. It's like it won't change the auto-brightness until then and I can barely read my passcode input.

9. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

Yeah .. i was playing with it on apple store and tested the brightness. Compared to iphone 3g .. just 10% already had visible changes.

10. vega07 macrumors 65816

I was just about to post about this exact same problem. My auto-brightness is not as good as my 3GS.

11. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Just tested this before going to bed.

Pitch black room.

Adjust the brightness to 50%.

Turn on auto-brightness.

Walk into the bathroom. Turn on the lights.

Screen goes brighter after 2 seconds.

Turn off all the lights again.

Pitch black.

Screen stays bright.

Lock. Unlock. Screen dims.

12. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I turned my auto brightness off but after 40 secs it turns dim until I touch it? Is this normal?