Lets talk displays

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by papadopolis1024, May 29, 2007.

1. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

Well I have decided to buy a display for my iBook cause it is almost always on my desk anymore. I have been looking at apple but

1) I cant find a mini VGA to DVI adapter
    2) EXPENSIVE!

I have also looked at Dell, it may not look as good next to my iBook as an ACD but it is

1) CHEAP!!! YAY!!
    2)I already have a mini VGA to VGA adapter so I could hook it right up

This is the one I was looking at

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5123

Are there any other good brands? What do you think of dell if you use it compared to an ACD?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, do you mean are there any other brands? Or any other good brands?

Westinghouse would be another brand.

ViewSonic would be another good brand.

3. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant like good (yet cheap) brands.

4. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I have a 19" Samsung and I love it, and it came with both a VGA connection, and DVI connection. I would recommend checking them out, they are also reasonably priced.

5. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I just bought...

a Hanns G 19" widescreen. I bought it from amazon. Admittedly this was in the UK but it was cheap... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanns-HW191D-LCD-Silver-Black/dp/B000GYHS6Y/ref=pd_rhf_p_1/026-0663889-9406065

I hunted around on these forums and a few people said they had one. It also had decent web reviews, so I got one.

So far no problems, no stuck pixels (that I can see) and the picture is great! It came with a VGA cable but I use DVI (after buying the converter, thanks apple). However the stand is of poor build quality. There are also built in speakers but I haven't used these as they were roundly dismissed as being terrible. I use externals though so it doesn't matter.

I can recommend. Hope this helps!

6. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I have an HP LCD monitor for my Desktop, and it looks really good, in terms of screen, and the design isnt that bad. Its a couple years old, but take a look at HP. (Im not sure what they offer now...)

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought one similar to this (a 19" WS) with both VGA and DVI inputs and cables, locally from craigslist for only $100, for use as an extra around the house. It works great for the price. I have a Dell 2005fpw (with VGA, DVI, S-Video, and Composite, plus a USB hub) hooked to my MacBook (and previously to a Mac Mini, Powerbook, and iMac G5). Much better picture and more versatile than the Haans, but also much more expensive. To hook up your iBook you will need a VGA input, as the iBooks never had DVI out. It all depends on what you are looking for, but I would recommend not going with the cheapest out there since you will be looking at it day in and day out. For this reason I think the display is one of the most important elements of any computer system that you use constantly.

8. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

9. sananda macrumors 68020

i also have an ibook. i used to use a sony monitor but that was stolen. i would like an apple cinema display but, of course, the ibook cannot run that. i have been looking at the samsung 932b in white which, i think, would go well with an ibook aesthetically.

10. LightMast macrumors regular

My Dell 2405 has been fantastic. I'm gonna grab a 2407 with my refund $$$$

11. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

My Dell Dimension E521 desktop has a very similar model of that screen (the E197) and it's a very good display. Great color, sharp, and wasn't that expensive (of course it's 19", but the same line of displays). My other Dell desktop has a E177FP and it's been a good display as well.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Are you aware, Mord, that because is spelled with an u? (Referring to your avatar and "becase")
    or is that a joke related to your sig, and I'm a moron for not seeing that immediately?

OP: Get the Dell ones. They're awesome screens at awesome prices.