Lets talk handbrake settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Jul 20, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Sure, there are different settings for different purposes. However, If you wanted to say, Encode an entire DVD movie to one MP4 File, or One H.264 File... what settings do you use?

There are alot of options such as Average Bit Rate, Quality % setting, 2-Pass, Etc....

What settings do you use? and for what type?

For my Real Life DVD movies, After being ripped via MacTheRipper. I use handbrake to Encode MP4 Files/H.264 with Average Bit Rate of 8000kbps, 2-Pass, Deinterlace. It seems to give me the best of the best in terms of quality, however the size of the file is GB's big.

For my Anime Episodes/movies, After being ripped by MTR. I use MP4/MP4 Average Bit rate of 5000kbps, 2-Pass, Deinterlace. Seems to give me about 400mb/s per episode.

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

It depends. These are personal tradeoffs. FWIW I use from 1000 to 2000kbps for laptop viewing.

3. Angrist macrumors 6502

2 pass ALWAYS

.avi xvid, and target size 1GB

x264 gives a better picture, but doesn't run as well on older hardware.

Usually the idea is to get them into small files so I can have them handy to watch on a airplane or in class or whatnot. If i'm interested in quality I'd just pop the DVD itself in ... better 5.1 sound that way too :)