"Let's Talk iPhone" ambiguous code being read the wrong way?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrPeripatetic, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MrPeripatetic macrumors newbie

It seems that everyone is reading Apple's "Let's Talk iPhone" as implying big, revolutionary updates to the hardware, e.g., redesigned iPhone 5, etc. But, what if the seemingly straightforward meaning is not the real, nor intended, meaning at all?

What if it is meant to be taken quite literally: Let us now talk iPhone (with the iPhone being the entity being communicated with). Perhaps, the big announcement is that by means of a revolutionary AI powered virtual assistant, we will literally talk to our iPhones. So, it's not that Apple (Cook) is announcing that he is talking to us about the iPhone on October 4, but that we will now be able to talk to our iPhone.

2. theperipheral macrumors 6502

Are you Nostradamus? The power and insight of your post is beyond anything I've ever read before.

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

Revolutionary thought.

4. z3r0inc macrumors regular

I think these "insights" are getting out of hand. "let's Talk iPhone" means "We're going to talk about the iPhone at our event. Period"

Simple as that. It just means they want to let people know that their focus is the iPhone. I am not saying these new features are unlikely but I seriously doubt they wanted to put THIS MUCH hidden meaning in an invite.

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You aren't the first with this theory, but it makes sense.

We already know about Assistant, and it's ability to interact with the user to get things done. The deeper meaning isn't that far-fetched.

6. MrPeripatetic, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

MrPeripatetic thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure I'm not the first. Just seemed that almost everyone was reading the announcement one way: revolutionary new form-factor. When I saw the post on the front page about the assistant, it struck me that the announcement might have another meaning.

7. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

8. Nevadadrifter macrumors newbie

It's actually a typo. They forgot to add a comma. It was supposed to read "Let's talk, iPhone", a reference to Assistant. :D

9. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure that "observation" that the "Let's talk" was a reference to the new Assistant feature was discussed 0.5 seconds after the invitation was sent out

10. z3r0inc macrumors regular

Ahhhh, :eek: am I alone when I think the whole design process for the invite went like this?

"Hey John. I just finished designing the invite. Looks nice?"
    "Looks great Jane. We should add a tag line under it"
    "Ok John, what did you have in mind?"
    "Hmmm.... I don't know...."
    [3 seconds later]
    "...Let make it 'Let's Talk iPhone'. Nice and simple, gets the point across."
    "Great John! Going to send those invites sometime next year!"

11. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

You're all wrong. After not being able to patent multi-touch they patented English language and renamed it to "iPhone". Starting tomorrow, we'll all talk iPhone.

12. velrose macrumors newbie

wondered

Still confusing and wondered about such..

13. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Mr. Peripatetic, you're confused. No one assumed that the line "Let's Talk iPhone" implied new hardware. It's the number 1 that everyone is buzzing about. Bottom line: no one really cares about software; iOS 5 + Assistant is a given. All we care about is WHICH iPhone.

14. SooneratND macrumors regular

If Apple meant it that way, then their ad is grammatically incorrect. It would need to be written as: "Let's talk, iPhone." They are missing a comma if they meant it to be read in that way. Without they comma, it means "let us talk about the iPhone"

15. jmccray macrumors regular

hilarious!!!!!!!

16. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

LateToTheParty.gif

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This isn't Davinci Code. Apple will talk about the iPhone.