Lets think different...

ob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
A little analysis and a trip to the loo have brought me to this....

First...
Jobs pushing his speech to Monday and speaking at the CES, since when does Apple do consumer electronics??

Second... their claim that it is huge, lets take that literaly as large, big, not small ;)

Third... the digital lifestyle hub thing they are pushing.

Fourth... Sony PS2 uses an G3 correct??

Fifth... today "A backstage pass...." obviously a reference to entertainment

OK here it is...

Apple TV
17" 22" 35" 45" 16:9 Flat screen HDTV
G4 processor
DVD, CDRW etc.
Airport base station
Ethernet
Sony PS2 built in
Speakers built in
Firewire on the front for iPod and digital cameras
TIVO capabilities

Too crazy???

Looks like something you would annouce at the CES no?
It would truly act like a digital hub.

I would buy it!

greg godwin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think you are very far off the mark. I don't think this new PC is being marketed as a television however. "Digital Hub" is the key though.

B

BJNY

Larger screen sizes made possible by OLED or Organic Light Emitting Diode technolgy? Supposedly way way cheaper, less weight, sharper. Makes sense to me. Plasma is in trouble.

x29

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Another speculation about what Apple are about to release:
Why couldn't it be an iCam?

A small unit, slightly larger than the iPod, with a built-in CCD for taking photo stills, and grabbing video directly onto the iPod sized harddrive. Also with a display at the size of the unit, where you watch what you're grabbing or the photos you've taken.

When you get home, just plug your iCam into your Mac and sync it with iMovie, where you can start edit your movie, and the stills are synchronized into Image Capture automatically.

As a bonus you would be able to copy the contents of a DVD disc onto the harddrive and then use your iCam as a portable "DVD player", or maybe if the copying part would be illegal (I can't see why. Then they would have run into more trouble with the iPod...) you could just attach a small portable CD/DVD-player in the FW-port and just use it as a DVD-viewer.

Hook it up to your 42" TV set, and watch your movies in your favorite couch with your family.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Walt Disney Animation Studios
To clarify: You probably heard that the Nintendo Gamecube uses an IBM G3, and confused it with the PS2. Yes, I know that sounds weird--its called the Gekko. Check out nintendo.com and look for the Gamecube specs. Its there.

I dont know what the PS2 uses.

But to elaborate:

I think the original post has some good ideas, and I also think thats what Apple hopes for. But i dont think they are in the market for TV's. The usually leave that kind of stuff up to the TV pros. The digital hub? Yeah. Thats all Apple.

[Edited by agreenster on 01-03-2002 at 11:28 AM]

greg godwin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Originally posted by agreenster
To clarify: You probably heard that the Nintendo Gamecube uses an IBM G3, and confused it with the PS2. Yes, I know that sounds weird--its called the Gekko. Check out nintendo.com and look for the Gamecube specs. Its there.

I dont know what the PS2 uses.

PS2 uses a Toshiba 128-bit "Emotion Engine" CPU.

ob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Hmm....

Maybe the TV part isn't included but the hub has a NTSC or HDTV out on it.

Ya the Nintendo uses the G3 but I was thinking that Sony can provide the TV guts and the game part.

I'm making this up eh.. :)

o

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
HDTV out is a good idea. Much like the TiBook has an s-video out. You can watch DVDs on TV from the TiBook. Its nice, especially for those of us who spend all our money on computer equipment, and dont fork over the dough for a DVD player. If I have an extra 150 bucks laying around, Ill get more RAM or something useful.

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
digital lifestyle

i think the key is in the "digital lifestyle" agenda for apple . . . i have been extremely entertained w/ the whole iWalk puzzle — too ugly to be real . . . but the most intriguing thread seems to be the references to Woz's new project "Hiptop" (or whatever it may be called) and a possible collaboration for a creative mix of digital and wireless devices - pda/phone/photo(video?) . . . and loading it into your laptop bag w/ your iBook and iPod . . . if MWSF is going to "go beyond the rumor sites", then this makes sense, because these sites are full of people just wanting power and speed w/ G5's . . . and apple seems to be promising magic not power . . .

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
thx . . . here's to monday!

btw, wireless rules! i stayed up reading posts last night w/ the Ti and new Airport / DSL . . . it works pretty much everywhere in the house! . . . lets hope we see more wireless worked into steve's "digital lifestyle" plans . . .

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
wireless

Id love to go wireless, but its too expensive. 300 bucks for a base and 50 bucks for a card, right? Yikes. Im still trying to make up from my Ti Purchase.

LOL. Like someone else said not too long ago....if it werent for the women in our lives, we'd have direct deposit straight to Cupertino!

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
rockin'

true . . . but, there are ways around it . . . the day the iPod came out is showed my wife the video w/ seal and moby . . . i went downstairs for a miniute - and when i came back - she had ordered it from the apple store!!!

and the iPod rules!!! we use a car/tape adapter from an old CD player . . . and we take our 50 favorite albums w/ us whereever we drive .. . and put it on shuffle!!!

the digital lifestyle agenda is for real . . . we are already all over it . . . which is why i can't wait for monday . . . and why we will continue to shell out the $$$ . . . it is just too much fun . . .

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
The enterttainment reference is intriguing...
Rather than the TV itself a more likely product would be a TiVo / Replay type of TV recorder. The book "Next" outlines the data mining potential of these devices and Apple seems to be well positioned to get into this. Also when the iPod was announced there were several people claiming to have seen an Apple set top device that did all this and synched to your computer. Could be they were right, just with the wrong timing.