Lets Weigh Our MBP Options....

freestyleguy128

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
106
0
Virginia
Ok...first it was new macbook pros at WWDC. Then it was September 5. Now it looks like the week of September 12 or bust. I really would like a new, merom version of MBP, but there are drawbacks to waiting. For one, more RAM to power this new processor will mean a more expensive computer with minimal performance increases. It's even possible that if you do not upgrade the RAM past 2 gb, the comp. might actually be slower on some apps. than the current generation. The new form factor isn't that big of a deal because really, who gives a crap about a latch and other minor adjustments? And remember all of the issues with the old week 1-10 versions of the MBP and all of the major problems? Who's to say those wouldn't come up with merom and its almost guaranteed that this would happen with a new chip ANNDD form factor. So I have come to the decision that if the new MBPs aren't released by next week, most of you waiting should go ahead and buy it because, if I'm not mistaken, if a new notebook comes out within a few weeks, you can exchange your previosly purchased notebook for a new one anyways. And if it doesn't, you can be satisfied with Consumer Report's top rated laptop for a long time despite 32 bit.
 

freestyleguy128

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
106
0
Virginia
viccles said:
Hmmm wonder if you can get that magazine over in Australia
Not sure, but it was rated top in its class for both the 15" and 17" versions and this magazine has an incredible history of being very reliable.
 

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
638
2
Los Angeles
freestyleguy128 said:
Ok...first it was new macbook pros at WWDC. Then it was September 5. Now it looks like the week of September 12 or bust. I really would like a new, merom version of MBP, but there are drawbacks to waiting. For one, more RAM to power this new processor will mean a more expensive computer with minimal performance increases. It's even possible that if you do not upgrade the RAM past 2 gb, the comp. might actually be slower on some apps. than the current generation. The new form factor isn't that big of a deal because really, who gives a crap about a latch and other minor adjustments? And remember all of the issues with the old week 1-10 versions of the MBP and all of the major problems? Who's to say those wouldn't come up with merom and its almost guaranteed that this would happen with a new chip ANNDD form factor. So I have come to the decision that if the new MBPs aren't released by next week, most of you waiting should go ahead and buy it because, if I'm not mistaken, if a new notebook comes out within a few weeks, you can exchange your previosly purchased notebook for a new one anyways. And if it doesn't, you can be satisfied with Consumer Report's top rated laptop for a long time despite 32 bit.
I would say if you can hold out for at least the 26th (assuming they're not released next week), then do so since that's Photokina. That's more of a pro event anyway, not geared towards the Apple press conference this Tuesday the 12th; I don't believe we'll see MBP's on Tuesday.

I'm waiting until the 26th. If nothing happens then with C2D MBP's then I'm going to go ahead, get my yonah MBP, hold onto it for about a year, sell it, then upgrade to something else. Mac's have such a high resale value that I doubt I'd lose much $ on that deal. And besides, I'd still have a MBP. :)
 

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
366
0
freestyleguy128 said:
Not sure, but it was rated top in its class for both the 15" and 17" versions and this magazine has an incredible history of being very reliable.
Sadly, my 15" MBP isn't as reliable as the magazine ;)
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
freestyleguy128 said:
Ok...first it was new macbook pros at WWDC. Then it was September 5. Now it looks like the week of September 12 or bust. I really would like a new, merom version of MBP, but there are drawbacks to waiting. For one, more RAM to power this new processor will mean a more expensive computer with minimal performance increases. It's even possible that if you do not upgrade the RAM past 2 gb, the comp. might actually be slower on some apps. than the current generation. The new form factor isn't that big of a deal because really, who gives a crap about a latch and other minor adjustments? And remember all of the issues with the old week 1-10 versions of the MBP and all of the major problems? Who's to say those wouldn't come up with merom and its almost guaranteed that this would happen with a new chip ANNDD form factor. So I have come to the decision that if the new MBPs aren't released by next week, most of you waiting should go ahead and buy it because, if I'm not mistaken, if a new notebook comes out within a few weeks, you can exchange your previosly purchased notebook for a new one anyways. And if it doesn't, you can be satisfied with Consumer Report's top rated laptop for a long time despite 32 bit.
Week of September 12 - it really has to be then, or else Apple truly is going to be seen to the general customer as being behidn the pack, even with their flagship laptops.

But yeah, if you're waiting for the exchange... just don't BTO :)
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
well if the merom MBP's aren't released on tuesday I'm just gonna go ahead and buy the current MBP. I'm sick of the waiting and it looks like I'll need it for work soon enough anyways. Yeah, I'll be a little pissed if they come out on the 25th, but I can't wait forever.
 

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
862
81
Illinois
Well, if they do release a new MBP, I kinda hope they release a new iPod too, because I'm buying both this week regardless (unless my ADC membership takes longer to verify).
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
richard4339 said:
Well, if they do release a new MBP, I kinda hope they release a new iPod too, because I'm buying both this week regardless (unless my ADC membership takes longer to verify).
Just curious, how good is the ADC discount?