Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Hi,

I have an apple wireless keyboard that is almost a year old (the previous white one) Well I was cleaning it about two days ago with a damp -but not dripping - towel and now the Z key is not working anymore. I did not take the keys off. i just cleaned it on the surface.

What steps should I take to fix it?

MacDaddy.G5

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
Hampton, VA
Perhaps if you get a can of compressed air and blow below the keys. Something might have fallen in there and now it's blocking the "Z" key sensor.

I don't know - worth a shot. Good Luck!

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Take it into the Apple Store. Let them know your Z key stopped working and nothing more. They will replace it with a refurbished White Bluetooth Keyboard. If they are out of stock they will give you the new Aluminum Keyboard.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
I wish it was that easy,

I live in Honduras, there is not an apple store anywhere.

But thanks anyways....

Hm. Well, in that case, I think it is time to disassemble it. You'll need a very small Torx bit but the back case comes off easily and it shouldn't be too hard to go from there. Let it dry out on a heater for a couple of days and see if that helps. Also be sure there is no debris interfering with the connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.