Letterboxing in Imovie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by duranduranie, Jan 27, 2010.

1. duranduranie macrumors member

When I import an avi video (which is fullscreen) into Imovie, it automatically goes into widescreen/letterbox. I have gone to - Preferences - and unselected 'Automatic DV pillarboxing & Letterboxing' but still when I import, there are two black lines above and below my video making it smaller. anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

2. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Well if it's a HD/Widescreen camera and you choose normal DV and not HD it adds the pillars. But if you export just crop it in the settings.

3. duranduranie thread starter macrumors member

Im not using any cameras, its a clip from a movie i am importing, and the clip is in fullscreen, as soon as i import it it gets the pillars. I am using hd imovie, but i don't know what you mean by crop it in the settings? If you could help further, i'd appreciate it, thanks.

4. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

is the video widescreen? If so choose the 720p new project option then import the clip. Otherwise when finished editing. Click export expert settings and as quicktime. Clip options. Then click size. In size it says something like mantain aspect ratio. Click the radio button (Check box) and then select the option crop. It will crop out the black bars if you export with a widescreen resolution like 854x480 (480i) 1280x720 (720P HD) 1920x1080 (True HD) or 640x360 (WVGA)

5. duranduranie thread starter macrumors member

It is widescreen when i import it into imovie, but the avi file which the clip is on was originally fullscreen. I did what you said, i selected 'crop' and made the resolution 1280x720, it did make the black lines a little smaller but its still not full screen like the original video :( thanks though

6. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I'm glad i could have been some assistance. If you really want to get rid of the bars. Get final cut and crop the video in until the bars go. You will just lose the sides of the video.