Letters jumble when typed on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PaperQueen, Mar 5, 2011.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

All of a sudden, in the past week or so, one of two things has occurred: Either (a) my fingers have become extremely dyslexic or (b) something's gone hinky with my MBP (late 2009, 10.6.6). In addition to a maddening lag between keystrokes (running from a split second to several seconds each time), the main problem is letters appearing wildly out of order. Approximately half the words in this post had to be deleted and re-typed to make it coherent.

The problem seems to impact all programs although Mail seems particularly hard hit.

I've disabled the most likely culprit (Spell Checker). No change. anC't (see what I mean?) find much in Google searches either.

Any ideas? As someone who types fairly fast with astonishing accuracy, this is going to drive me to drink. Heavily. :eek:

2. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

you could have a trojan or some malware of some sort..

might have to do a clean install of osx

backup your important stuff

or

i am wrong and its something simple i cannot think of.

3. josh2007 macrumors member

I'm on the new mbp 15". Safari eMails are now completely unreadable. The same text is perfectly fine on Firefox.

4. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

I have developed exactly the same problem, and yes, it all started about a week ago.

However, it isn't MBP related because I'm still on my iMac until my MBP arrives.

I still don't know what's causing it. I can log out of my account, then log back in to make it go away. May not happen again all day, but I still don't know what causes it to start again.

5. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Hadn't thought to try log in/log out, but will--thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully, someone at Apple will attend to this; since it's covering multiple types of Macs with multiple users, my guess is that it ties to a recent update. Frustrating.

Of course, I could just blame it on MobileMe. That seems to be the root of all evil these days. ;)

(P.S. to Terry: Great signature block quote!)

6. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

I just started using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Trackpad on my iMac within the last week. I wonder if it might be Bluetooth related. I always had Bluetooth off before this issue appeared.

Anyone else just change anything related to Bluetooth?

7. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Nope. No bluetooth usage in my case, so can't be that. Wish is was that simple!

8. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

Darn.

Still don't know the cause, however, since my last logout and login yesterday, the problem hasn't re-appeared...yet. Still running my usual apps.

9. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Oddly, things seemed to be fine for a couple of weeks here too...until today. Now, I've logged in/out three times, but am still getting jumbled text when I type (you have no idea how long it's taking me to get this post written).

nAyone (see what I mean?) have some ideas?