Letting go

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Dec 2, 2014.

1. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Now that the iPhone 6 is out, I suppose it's time for me to trade up but I really have a hard time parting with my old devices. The old devices work fine and they have an aesthetic that sometimrs can't be remade it improved upon. They can be so original. The later iPads are nice, but the ones designed by Steve Jobs were literally perfect.

So how do you do it? I have an upgrade right now but I don't think I can do it.

Also, is this a common issue for most people or have things recently changed. Is it just me?

2. x34 macrumors 6502

many people here follow the hype of the latest and the greatest.

if your iphone still fits your needs, keep it. if not, move on with a new one.

3. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I've kept all my iphones throughout the years with the exception of the first one (wish I still had it).

No need to part with the hardware itself, you can always keep your old phone but still upgrade. I keep my old iphones for nostalgia, my little boy also uses my old i5 which I uploaded with apps just for him. Just a thought.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I was going to trade in my iPhone 4 for the iPhone 6, but I did also want to keep my 4 because it is nice. But then I remembered that I could just trade in my dads old iPhone 4 :). Worked out great

5. upbraid macrumors member

we cant change the way we feel inside
    and every try at love never turns out right

6. ucfgrad93, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just because a new iPhone comes out doesn't mean you have to buy it. I generally keep my phones for 18-24 months.

7. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I always sell my old phones. Why should it just sit in a drawer and gather dust? Sell it while it still has some value.

8. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel a duty to buy the iPhone 6 but I settled for a 5c.

Yes, an 8gb 5c. A short-lived concept of a phone that is no longer being produced in large numbers.

I don't know why I an so attached to my 5c but I definitely am. It's just the colors. It moves a lot of people spiritually.

I remember the bold colors. Everyone had something to say about it. It truly stands out, even though people said they didn't like it.

Know what I mean?

9. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

No. Not really.

10. Ibaorus macrumors member

Yeah, I know. I think it's normal for people to feel attached to something that they always use.

11. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real

12. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

After nearly a month of complaining about the lack of an "officially unlocked" iPhone 6, covering a full 16 pages, you bought an iPhone 5c? :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm happy you got the phone you want, but I'm not sure I would have seen that coming.

13. Smith2000 macrumors member

I agree that letting go of an iPhone that is still in great shape and runs pretty much every app out there well is tough to do.
    I'm a big fan of trade in programs because they don't require any effort on my part and then someone else gets to buy a reasonably priced used phone with some kind of warranty.

This time I locked in a Gazelle trade in before iPhone 6 preorders started. I had 30 days to get the new phone and send in my old one. With Gazelle (and most other trade in programs I think) you get to keep the charger and headphones and it's always nice to have extra of those.

Another idea is to hand it down to someone or donate it to charity. The point being to get the technology in the hands of someone that will use it and benefit from it.

14. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I sold my IP4 and 5 to get the 6+. I held on to that 4 and thought I was going to do the same with the 5 but as iOS are less and less supported, why wait? I thought I would miss them but nope..haven't even thought about them since.

15. wxman2003 Suspended

You created threads earlier how you were tired of iOS 8, and that find my iPhone has failed you, yet you got an iPhone 5C? I thought you were going to get the super duper extra unlocked iPhone 6 on November 30th? You have another thread saying that the you can't tell the difference in speed with the A9 processor on the iPhone 6, yet you never owned it. How is your friend who supposedly bent an iPhone in an Apple store and got caught? Your comedy of threads continue.

16. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Lol yeah I thought it was a locked T-Mobile 6 he bought too through eip

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're not necessarily required to offload the old device. I in fact collect one form factor (usually the S iteration) and have a collection. You don't need to treat it like a girlfriend who you need to dump in order to bang the other one.

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

I am the opposite, I get annoyed using dated things and need to update asap

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Idina Menzel should have something to say about this situation.

21. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It's all about the timing.

For me I swap out my iPhone every year. Since I get unlocked iPhones, I get maximum resale and thus the next iPhone is that much cheaper.

Unlocked iPhones never go on sale so if I keep my iPhone for more than a year the next time I go to buy one its that much more expensive.

iPads i think are different. You're able to get them on sale for one. So when the iPad 3 came out I sold my iPad 2 for €250 and got the iPad 3 on sale for €50 cheaper than retail. New iPad 3 then only cost me like €220.

I kept it till now because I didn't see a need to upgrade it. Now I can get €206 for it, the Air 2 for me is worth the upgrade and I got it for €50 cheaper in a Cyber Monday sale. So it only cost me €250.

22. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I have a very hard time believing that someone who was so obsessed with having the "best" iPhone would suddenly do a complete 180 and get the lowest end iPhone one can buy new. Not even a 5S? Doesn't pass the smell test, IMO.

23. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

It's a bit of plastic and metal, get over it.

24. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everyone in the thread has brought up good points. This always happens to me though.

I'm particularly attached to the iPhone 5c. Why?

Because it was short lived, people have talked smack about it, even said they hated it.

But the colors really stand out. people notice you. some people think it might be childish or that it might be ugly. But it's beautiful in it's ugliness. :)

So, why did I get one? Because it's a perfectly capable phone. It does what I want, and I was able to get it for $200 when I was in a time of need.

I think I'm going to buy an unlocked one to have on the side. We all have to have a backup phone and the 5c will be mine.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But it isn't specially unlocked, and it doesn't have the extra bands for your trips to China both of which were your needs in your previous threads...