Letting off some steam (venting if you will) ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sidney Smutt, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Sidney Smutt macrumors newbie

I ordered my wife a uMBP 13" for Christmas.

After delivery I took a look at it, and decided to treat myself to a uMBP 17" (Vanilla).

Now, I appreciate we both have a bit of a learning curve, but I can see why a Windows PC is more popular.

I have been using computers in one guise or another since late 1982, so I'm definately not a novice. However, the MAC is not as intuitive as it's made out to be.

Apart from buying the MBP's I also purchased (one each for the wife and I) 2 x Magic Mouse, 2 x Verbatim 500Gb external HDD and

1Tb ForMac external HDD. Software is FCE4, Office for MAC and Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.

Christmas Day evening get to switch the MBP on, follow the instructions to register, download updates (for iTunes too). So far so good.

I had prepared for this day, and armed with my recently burned DVD's with all my iTunes music on them. I transferred my tunes across to the MAC iTunes Folder. On completion, I visited the iTunes store and made a purchase. OS X then displayed a dialog box telling me I don't have permission to download this purchase - eh?

Puzzled by this, I ended up going to the Internet to find out why. Opened Safari, clicked on the Green "plus" to maximise the window - window doesn't maximise? It just moves a bit. Try again, same result. Try the Green "plus" with another window - same result. Nothing maximises. Quick search of the net provides a solution, download and install an App called "Right Click". I do this, and after installation I have maximise - yay.

OK. So now do a search on why iTunes won't download my purchase. All to do with permissions says the search. I have to go and select my iTunes Folder, Get Info, open sharing and permission, unlock then change permission for Staff to have "Read/Write" access! (I only wanted to download a piece of music)! Do this, and on completion iTunes downloads my purchase - yay.

Time to plug in my 500Gb Verbatim external HDD. No problem here, OS X recognises it straight away. While I'm at it, I will activate my Magic Mouse. Reboot, and Magic Mouse working a treat. However, Magic Mouse has no "right click", it just does nothing.

Back to the internet - oh lordy I have to actually switch right click on via System Prefs (this includes the bloody track pad as well, because this is switched off by default too). (Whose flippin' idea was it to have right click switched off by default)?

By now the time is approaching midnight, I have spent more time looking up "how to's" on the internet than I have doing anything productive so far. Time for bed, and will have another go with a fresh pair of eyes tomorrow (Boxing Day).

The next day I wanted to save any downloads to my external drive. I also purchased SuperDuper (twice, so the wife had a licence too) so I could backup a disk image once I had sorted everything out to my liking.

The Verbatim drive was formatted as FAT32. SuperDuper recommended MAC OS Extended Journalled. No problem, I shall right click the drive and select Format. Wrong, Format is not listed as an option! Another internet search on "how do I format a MAC HD". Ah I see I use the Disk Utility App. The word "Format" is tucked away in the "Partition" section. But not only can you format it as MAC OS Extended (Journalled) you can also choose MAC OS Extended, MAC OS Extended (Case sensitive, journalled), MAC OS Extended (Case-sensitive) and finally, Free Space. If SuperDuper had not already pointed out that I should be formatting the drive in MAC OS Extended (journalled) I wouldn't have a bloody clue what to choose! Once again, a dark cloud was forming over my head.

I eventually got through the hard drive format (a process that takes about 2 seconds on a PC). I copied my "Right Click" download to my formatted drive. And also saved my disk image via SuperDuper. Great.

Time to install FCE4 (I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 on my PC). The wife got me a Canon HG10 videocamera for my Birthday last year. FCE can handle its' AVCHD files natively. So I was really looking forward to trying this out.

I inserted the disk, installed and registered the software. Eject the disk - grinding noise, click, click, click. Drive is trying to eject, but the disk isn't coming out. Back online to see if this is a common problem (hope not) or if there is a solution.

Found out that you can hold the track pad down when rebooting, drag the desktop icon to trash, or use Command E to eject a disk.

Eventually, after six attempts, a bit of the disk shows at the slot. There is enough showing for me to grip and pull the disk out. Is this the disk drive or the disk at fault? Only one way to find out. Insert MS Office for MAC, program installs. Eject the disk - grinding noise, click, click, click. Disk won't eject - sigh! Carry out the above procedure and eventually extract the disk.

Go online and via the Apple website book an appointment to see a Genius about the DVD drive on the 2nd Jan at 1000.

On the Saturday arrive at the Apple store early (and end up spending another £200 on must have's)! I report to the first red t-shirted chap I see. He calls my appointment up on his iTouch, and confirms the time with me. Two minutes later he is back, for some reason all the appointments have now disappeared from the system. Hah - no problem. I have my iPhone with me, so I can retrieve my appointment timings as sent by the Apple automated system when I booked it on the 27th Dec.

I see the Genius, explain the problem. He then has a chat with the manager. To cut a short story long, I leave the store with a new uMBP. They decided to swap mine with a new one. I leave the store happy. All the staff were very nice to deal with. So no drama there. On the way home, drop in Waterstones and pick up Mac OS X Snow Leapord for Dummies (my new best friend).

After arriving home, I set about setting up my uMBP again (things are a bit faster this time, as I now know what to expect, but more importantly know how to do it).

Today. We have a Lexmark X7550 MFD (WiFi) in the lounge. My wife wanted to use the printer. So, back online, I did some research, and visited the Lexmark (UK) website to download their latest (10.6) driver. Installed the driver on her uMBP, finds the printer, go to print test page - error message "color (Yank spelling) table problem. Uninstall then reinstall the software". OK, uninstall, then reinstall - same problem. I then check Apple software update - Lo, there is an update for this driver. Download and install, but problem not fixed, problem remains. (To be fair, there are a few people on the Apple Support forum with the same problem). A couple of people on the Apple support forum suggest some fixes. These "fixes" entail that you, dear user, start delving in to the Library folders deleting various Lexmark refs - I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS FFS! I follow the instructions, but at the end of the day none of the suggestions work. We still can't print (I tried installing the drivers on my uMBP too, with the same result). The document sits in the print queue, happily doing sod all. While the driver says "problem with the color table .... yada, yada, yada". Instead I will print the document from my Windows 7 PC that has no problem (and never has) connecting to the Lexmark over the wireless LAN. (Oh, neither have my daughters PC upstairs, or my other daughters Vista laptop. I can even print without any snags from my bloody Archos 705 WiFi).

I'm not quite loosing the will to live yet. However, any Mac fanbois should step away from my thread and refrain from posting how great life is. Thank you.

First impressions of the "all singing, all dancing" mac? Not very good.​

2. Naad macrumors newbie

First of all.. Wow. You must've been frustrated to write so much!
    I have to say i agree with a few things you say, + should be full screen.
    About software related stuff like printers i can only say i never ever had any problems via wifi/usb with my mac, my dad's mac nor my girlfriends mac. So i would blame the manufacturer of your printer for this (but could I be wrong!)

The main thing I want to say to you is that OSX is not like windows, it's not meant like windows and if you're used to windows (with which you have longer experience then my life has years) don't expect to work with OSX within a few days.
    For example my stephdad works since the 80s with Mac, he has a hard time with windows (which he is forced to use to do his job), it's what you're used to. And once you're used to mac most people i know will hang on to mac.

I hope you do get to spend some productive time soon with your mac!

3. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Write back in three months and tell us what you think. I'll wager you wont miss windows that much....

4. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Whine, whine, whine

Some comments:

- re: the iTunes library - yes, and Windows will do the *same* thing when copying files from a readonly disc. If you've never run into this problem, you're a novice.

- re: the Magic Mouse. Did you try *reading* the instructions first? Or just come here to complain?

- re: formatting. It's not OS X's fault you bought a drive formatted as FAT32, and of course it's less clicks in Windows, as you're stuck with only two choices. You'd probably be whining about how OS X wouldn't let you pick which format to use if it automatically chose HFS+ for you.

- re: maximizing. Tough - there's no "standard" in this area, and those of us with big monitors don't have any need for a 1920x1200 Safari window.

- re: the printer drivers. I fail to see how Lexmark's abysmal OS X driver support is somehow a "reason Windows is more popular". Microsoft spends serious technical and marketing money making sure that companies deliver craptastical and/or nonexistent support for non-Windows OSes; remember the joys of WinModems?

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

What you have explained is exactly what happens to a new user to Mac OSX, since you seem to have been a Windows user for a long time.

Same functions are just in different locations.

Adaptability to your new environment, is what you need. ;)

I bet you have never tried linux ever? yeah, that's gonna be tough on you. If you're not a computer newbie, you should be able to figure things out, and adapt yourself.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Alot of your problems are due to the fact that you are still used to windows and want Mac OSX to work the same way windows did. The little green button has been debated to no end here in these forums. When I switched it annoyed me too but I soon realized the genius of it....why open an internet window with blank space on both sides when you can have it open to size of the content you are viewing? not only does it make more sense but its great for multi tasking and productivity. Anyway thats just one example and I'm sure that you will eventually get used to OSX and slowly leave the windows mentality behind. Just give it some time. its like anything else if you've been doing it one way for 20+ years and suddenly change to something different, there's always going to be a learning curve and some getting used to.

7. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

That's quite a lengthy post and list of complaints. It is frustrating to expect perfection from a new purchase and then not receive it. I agree with some of your points, but I think you went overboard to an extent. The green + at the upper left hand corner is not a Maximize Window as on a PC. You were expecting it to do something that it does not. Granted, you installed software to make it do what you want, but you could have simply dragged the lower right hand corner of the window to make it the exact size you like.
    Take a momento watch some of the videos on Apple's website. They are really useful. Hang in there and in a few weeks you will forget all your initial troubles and thoroughly enjoy the Mac experience. Good luck.

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Sorry about your frustration and that you got a bad disc drive out of the box. It's always frustrating when your brand new product turns out to have a problem. I'm glad to hear that you got good customer service and a full replacement. As far as the OS and the peripherals go, it's just different and those differences will take some time to learn. Hang in there, I think you will find that it's all worth it in the end. :)

9. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Welcome to MacOS. As someone said, give it a few months and you'll be wondering how you ever got along with Windows.

10. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Im soon to switch due to a need to have better linux compatibility with a good mobile system and from my research it looks like Im going to have some of the same frustrations as you are. A long time Windows/DOS/Linux users (more than 10 years on each platform), some things make no sense to me when I got to the Apple Store.
    I had to ask help to figure out how to open a terminal.
    The finger swipes are non-intuitive.
    The lack of a maximize button
    The fact that you can only enlarge windows from one corner (this is just stupid)
    Eject disks by dragging them to the 'trash'???
    Lack of right click button on mice (UIs have a lot of features, therefore two buttons make sense)
    Lack of backspace and delete key on MBP keyboards.

You know, Mac Fanboys are going to tell you that you're wrong when you complain and mention that 'hey, the grass is not always greener'. They honestly believe that anything SJ does is *the right way*. Period. Just try to ignore them. I plan to. How is the book? Maybe I should buy a copy as well to ease the transition.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can understand frustration but when I hear switchers say the Mac is not intuitive, I just laugh. Stop thinking Windows.

12. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Some things aren't. OSX is very good, you're suggesting it's perfect?

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Cut him some slack. I know I been there when I got my 1st Mac, and I am glad I had friends to help me who owned Macs for a few years. He's just venting and has a few questions.

To the OP:
    The "Right" click (Secondary click) you might have to activate it. Long time Mac users used Control+Click. If you go in System Preferences you'll see the area for mouse and an area for track pad, under these you can activate the secondary click.

Safari's window only opens the window enough for what is needed to see a website. At the lower left had corner of the window you will see some diagonal lines, click and drag to make a window bigger.

The Mac for Dummies from reading in this thread isn't the best. Someone is that tread recommended "David Pogue's Missing Manual" and maybe some people can comment how good it is.

On http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ there are a few videos how to do stuff on Macs and I found this site on this forum and it seemed pretty good:
    http://www.lynda.com/home/ViewCourses.aspx?lpk0=67
    and this site, but not sure how much info is on it:
    http://switchtoamac.com/

Here is a tread with some stuff you can download to your new Mac, some people list "must have stuff" and there are other threads like this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=417741&highlight=what+programs+should+i+download?

A must have off the top of my head is Flip4Mac. That will let you play WMP videos.

It will take some time getting use too. I been using a Mac for just over a year and still have a lot to learn. I just recently started to use iPhoto and that just added more questions with me.

There's 3 ways to eject a CD (that I know of), there is even and eject button. Click and drag to the trash is just one of them.
    There is a right (secondary click) on the mouse. Some models you have to activate it, but there is a "right" click on Macs.
    I'm looking at my delete buttion on my keyboard, but I'm in the USA so many different for other countries?

Attached Files:

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where did I say that?