LeVar Burton's Reading Rainbow Kickstarter Project Reaches Goal in 1 Day

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, May 29, 2014.

1. bradl, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not only is this an absolutely stunning feat, the fact that it still has 34 days to go before the project ends and is still growing is even more so.

Many different outlets are covering this (the Verge, Jezebel, NPR, etc.), but I'll give the nod to ABC for the article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...tarter-boot-reading-rainbow/story?id=23903077

Better yet, The kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh

Better yet, the video. Enjoy. And you Star Trek: The Next Generation fans will get a kick out of it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm need to find that "Shut up and take my money!" meme. :D

BL.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Burton is doing a wonderful job promoting literacy. I applaud his efforts.

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

The fact that he wants to do this for free should hit home for everyone. Through various ways, we are causing this spike in our illiteracy rate, and that it is going to get out of hand if something isn't done scares me more because of how panicked an uninformed populace can become, especially when they listen to rumours or hearsay instead of facts or finding out for themselves.

I'm definitely contributing to this, and as much of a Star Trek fan as I am, I don't know if I'm going to do the Star Trek rewards. When it was running, when I lived in Vegas I went regularly to Star Trek: The Experience. I saw all of the props there. they had on display the actual Mark VI torpedo they shot Spock off in. They had the Borg Queen's first suit from ST: First Contact. I was there 3 days before they shut down the exhibit. As much as I love Trek and would love for him to sign some of my Trek memorabilia, I'd love to take him back to my elementary school and teach the kids there. Seeing the looks of joy on the kids faces would mean more to me than increasing dollar value on memorabilia I have.

Besides.. he's instilled the want to read in us for 30 years. It's about time we pay that forward.

BL.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They are just under $2,000,000! Amazing results!

Attached Files:

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I absolutely loved Reading Rainbow!

Excellent. :)

6. danny_w macrumors 601

That is fantastic! My son absolutely loved Reading Rainbow (and ST:TNG).

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I always enjoyed reading rainbow. Would love to see it return.

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

Reading Rainbow (and Wishbone) were two great literature based shows of my childhood. I saw this yesterday morning and flipped out, sharing it with everyone I knew. Definitely had the Reading Rainbow theme song in my head at least half the day at work.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's in a book, take a look, reading rainboooow. Ya I was humming it today as well.

10. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

At roughly 2:20pm PT today, they hit $2 million. And they still have 33 days to go. If they let this go the entire course, they're going to be in the mid 20-30 million dollar range. Absolutely astonishing.

Even more astonishing: They were able to raise that much money faster than most PACs could in a day (yes, I'm looking at you, Crossroads GPS, Restore our Future, MoveOn, Americans for Prosperity, etc.). Seriously.. 2 million in less than 24 hours..

BL.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Now at $2.8 Million! That's awesome.

I would love to see it come back just so I can share the experience with my kiddos!

Attached Files:

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fantastic idea and a most worthy cause, well worth supporting.

In any case, I'm a big fan of STNG (and so liked Geordi La Forge, needless to say; moreover, I had forgotten entirely that LeVar Burton had also played Kunte Kinte in 'Roots'.)

Wonderful that he is doing this for free - but it does not surprise me that he would be such an impressive role model.

Best of luck to the project, and long may it continue to exceed its stated financial aims.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They have changed their goal. The new goal is $5 million. They currently have just under $3.2 million.

14. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

As of 1pm PDT, they are $3000 short of popping $3.4 million with 28 days to go. I definitely think they'll hit the $5 million mark, but it is slowing down from the initial fervor. And no-one has taken the VISOR level yet either. :)

BL.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They are just below $3.6 million with 22 days left.

16. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I keep joking with my wife about how no-one has taken the VISOR package yet.. though I just checked to see if it was still available to find out that they updated it. Now it's 4 1-day passes to any convention of your choice, all 4 people you bring will have a meet/greet with LeVar, who will already be your friend from having a private dinner with him and Brent Spiner. And wear the VISOR.

So now it's the VISOR package - with added Data. (not my pun!)

Oh.. and to make all of us feel old.. 6/6/2014 was 31 years to the day that Reading Rainbow started.

BL.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I was 17 when it started, so obviously I never really watched it.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Sorry to be that guy...

:(

You might want to reconsider that donation to the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter

19. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. It sounds like that guy has a lot of butt hurt about what is going to happen with Reading Rainbow. What does he want? disclose the donators? See if this is really being done by corporations? I mean really, we're talking about getting kids to read again.

the guy misses the point completely.

BL.

20. dXTC, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014

dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

So Mr. Burton's considering a subscription fee to cover the cost of server bandwidth, with potential for lining some corporate pockets. If it works out for his project, so much the better.

Those educators who want a Web-based reading program but can't fit the subscription cost into the classroom budget can always go to resources like Mrs. P, which is free (mainly because all featured stories are public domain) and also happens to have a relatively famous TV actor as star and co-creator:

[​IMG]

Can't make out who she is? Perhaps you'll recognize her in another role:

[​IMG]

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This currently has over 80,000 backers and has raised over $3.7 million.

Attached Files:

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

'Reading Rainbow' gets hand from Seth MacFarlane.

23. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Nice.. and they just popped $4 million as well, plus someone took the VISOR package! If they can get that, that would be great. My understanding is that if they don't reach their goal, they don't get the donated money. So they have to get this.

BL.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

25. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Getting close.

4,570,317 as of this post, with 47 hours to go. It's going to be close..

But then again, if MacFarlane is matching, depending on how he's going to match, they may have it. If he waits until they get the last million, it will be close. If he matches as they go, they only needed 500K, which they'd be at now.

BL.