Lexi-comp/Lexi-interact

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by weeman, Apr 18, 2009.

1. weeman macrumors 6502

For those of you that have any of the lexi-comp software, every time you use lexi-interact does it crash? I have had this app since version 1.0 and this bug seems to have never been fixed so I am beginning to think maybe its my phone.

2. l3m macrumors newbie

UPDATE: This post only applies to iPhones 3G and original and iPod Touch 1st and 2nd generations (all on firmware 2.2.1 or older and the latest Cydia installer available as of early May 2009). On 6/17/09, Ripdev announces they will discontinue Installer but will continue with Icy. So I'm updating this post to reflect this change. Regarding the new firmware 3.0, see my post below.

I would guess that you're probably running Lexi-Comp on a jailbroken iPhone with Cydia installed. The problem has something to do with the Cydia update process, which causes Lexi-Interact to crash.

Try this: do a complete restore to a non-jailbroken pristine state if you can (your phone should be like new with no additional software installed), then jailbreak your phone again but do NOT update Cydia. Now install Lexi-Comp and try out Lexi-Interact, which should work perfectly. But as soon as you run Cydia and install the updates found by Cydia, Lexi-Interact would no longer work and would crash.

You can solve this in two ways.

One: after jailbreaking, you can just ignore Cydia and don't install any updates. Install Lexi-Comp and Lexi-Interact would remain working.

Two: after jailbreaking, run Cydia but do not install any updates yet; click Manage, then Packages, then install Ripdev. Now click Search, then search for a Cydia alternative called Icy and install it. Exit out of Cydia. Run Icy and it will detect several updates; install these updates. Then update all the sources again in Icy; it will then detect a few more updates; install these updates again . Now you can run Cydia and no updates should pop up (everything has been updated through Icy, including Cydia itself). You can now install Lexi-Comp and Lexi-Interact should work perfectly. You can now run Cydia (or Icy) to install other apps normally. If future updates popups in Cydia, again use Icy to detect and install the updates.

I've solved this after installing Lexi-Comp on several jailbroken iPhones (original and 3G) and iPod Touches (1st and 2nd generations). I was frustrated as well as to why Lexi-Interact keep crashing. But after seeing Lexi-Interact working on a non-jailbroken iPod Touch, I realize the bug has something to do with the jailbreak and eventually narrow it down to the Cydia update process. I hope this helps others experiencing the same problem.

3. weeman thread starter macrumors 6502

I love you. If you were next to me I'd give you a big, fat, juicy kiss :D

4. jonneepuh macrumors newbie

is there any other way besides having to restore and re-jailbreaking the whole iphone?

restoring is a real pain!!

what if i download icy, uninstall cydia, run icy updates, install lexicomp, then install cydia. will that be a suitable work around?

5. thaliagoo macrumors newbie

No-- restoring is the only way AFAIK

6. vega07 macrumors 65816

this sucks. what does cydia do that messes up with lexi-comp?? :confused:

I refuse to restore my phone.

7. l3m macrumors newbie

I've just updated to the new firmware 3.0 on my iPod Touch 2nd generation and jailbroke using the recently released redsnow. I installed Lexi-Comp Complete (v 1.3.3), then I ran Cydia and accepted a complete upgrade. Afterwards, I checked Lexi-Interact and it works, unlike before.

So I think whatever issues there were with Cydia and earlier firmwares, it's now been fixed.

Spotlight search on the new firmware is cool. Although several apps that I installed from Cydia still work, Backgrounder is one app that no longer works. In case you don't know, Backgrounder allows you to have multiple apps running at the same time.

Weeman, if you're that happy, make a donation to the developer of Backgrounder to encourage him to update the app ;-)

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

my interact does not work either way (with or without cydia updates).

$300 bucks for an application that I can't use with a jailbroken phone. how pitiful.

9. l3m macrumors newbie

Have you done a complete restore to a nonjailbroken state, then re-jailbreak your phone and follow my instructions? That's the only way. If you just remove Cydia when Lexi-Interact is already not working, then Lexi-Interact will remain non-working.

I've done this on all versions of iPhone and iPod Touch (except for the new iPhone 3GS).

10. vega07 macrumors 65816

I restored my iPod touch with a custom firmware that includes only Icy. It atill crashes when I enter two drugs to analyze. SO FRUSTRATING!!!

11. vega07 macrumors 65816

I did not restore to a non-jailbroken state. I used pwnage tool to create a custom firmware which I used to restore the phone.

now that redsn0w is now, should I restore to non-jailbroken, and then use redsn0w to jailbreak?

12. l3m macrumors newbie

What iPhone do you have?

If you have iPhone 2G (original) and update/restore to firmware 3.0, then redsn0w can jailbreak and unlock the phone.

If you have iPhone 3G and update/restore to firmware 3.0, then redsn0w can only jailbreak. If you need to unlock it to use with unauthorized carrier, you can do so with ultrasn0w (just released by dev-team): http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ after you've jailbroken with redsn0w.

If you restore to an older firmware, then you already know what to do.

So yes, you need to restore to a non-jailbroken state, as if your phone is brand-new, then jailbreak it (and unlock if necessary).

To do a proper restore, make sure you put your phone in DFU mode (blank screen with/without glow), not recovery mode (screen with picture of USB cable connection). You can restore regardless of what firmware your phone is currently running.

Easiest way for me to get into DFU mode is:
    1. Run iTunes.
    2. Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch to the computer and allow iTunes to recognize it.
    3. Turn off your iPhone/iPod Touch but leave iTunes running.
    4. Hold down the Power button for 2 seconds.
    5. Continue holding Power button and press Home button and keep holding down both buttons until iTunes pops up a message about iPhone/iPod being in recovery mode (should be less than 10 seconds). The screen of the device should be blank with/without a bright glow; it's in DFU mode. If it has a picture of a USB cable connection, it's in recovery mode (just press the Power button to turn the device off and try again). Then release both buttons.

NOTE: in both DFU and recovery mode, iTunes pops up the message saying "recovery mode" so the only way to tell the difference is by looking at the screen of the iPhone/iPod.

6. Now you can press Restore (or Option+Restore in Mac or Shift+Restore in Windows if you want to direct iTunes to the firmware's location on your computer).

13. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I jailbroke my iPhone late May for Slingplayer and it doesn't seem to have affected Lexi Interact (just tested since I've rarely had to use it). I can only guess there was some update with Cydia that helped stop the crashing, so I'd definitely try the restore to a non-jailbroken state and then use RedSn0w. Hopefully you won't have to do it again after that.

14. weeman thread starter macrumors 6502

What sucks now is that I am rocking the 3G S so I can't jailbreak just yet...I really miss backgrounder and status notifier...

I had no idea 1.3.3 was out so I tried downloading right now and for whatever reason it says my subscription has ended :confused: and I need to renew (but it hasnt even been a year yet)

Imma have to give lexi a call tomorrow :mad:

15. stade1979 macrumors member

Lexi-Complete 1.3.3

Where did you get the Lexi-Complete 1.3.3 version not on Appulo.us???

16. mac8202 macrumors newbie

Help with Lexicomp

For some reason Lexi-comp can't be cracked in my new 3gs jailbreak iphone... any body has any idea to help? did i miss or do anything wrong step. Thank you

17. veniex macrumors newbie

Does this help? Let me know.

18. l3m macrumors newbie

I have verified the following: Lexi-Interact in Lexi-Complete 1.3.1 does work if you run firmware 2.2.1 or older and update Cydia using Icy (or don't update Cydia at all). It crashes if you run it on firmware 3.0, regardless of how you update Cydia.

Lexi-Interact in Lexi-Complete 1.3.3 works on firmware 3.0 regardless of how you update Cydia.

There are a few changes in 1.3.3: the Update will now add 5-Minute Clinical Consult and Dental Lexi-Drugs to the Lexi-Complete suites; it also provide updates to Lexi-Interact.

By the way, now that a jailbreak is released for iPhone 3GS, a version of Backgrounder is now working for firmware 3.0.

19. wasteoftime macrumors newbie

Did you purchase the 1.3.3 version or did you find it somewhere? If the latter, would you mind indulging us with your source? (Please!!!!)

20. l3m macrumors newbie

I bought my subscription. Lexi offers a student discount; the total comes to about $320 with tax but with a $125 student rebate, it comes to about $200. I'm already in 6-digit debts with student loans so $200 doesn't seem so much any more. I'm aware of "other" versions out there but as of now there is no "other" 1.3.3.

21. wasteoftime macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks for the swift reply! I feel the heavy burden of 6 figured school loans too... I want to test lexi-comp before I buy and, coincidentally, I found the 1.3.3 version at the usual liberating price of nada shortly after your post. Yay! appulo.us is me favorite! Arrr! (even tho he/she mislabeled the app incorrectly I would download fufi's app, as it is the correct size and I have tried and tested it for 10 minutes... realmoney's is only 20mbs). No interactions crash!

edit: works 100% after taking it on rounds a full 2 weeks.

22. jvar07 macrumors newbie

Hey, I know this question is off topic but, have you tried installing the Lexi-complete you purchased on more than one iPhone? If so, does it work properly? It's just that I thought that since iTunes allow you to "activate" 5 computers with the same account the app could be bought by 5 people and then be installed on 5 iPhones that run that same account. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks!

23. reddscott macrumors newbie

How do I register Lexi-Complete for a jailbroke phone?

IF my iphone 3gs is jailbroken and IF I downloaded Lexi-complete, what would I do with the mandatory registration prompts?
    Would I put in my email info and since I'm still a student, I'm not officially associated with any hospital? Also, can my free lexi be tracked back to copyright infringement/ stealing an app., if that were possible.