Lexmark x4580 new Leopard Driver doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ::Lisa::, Dec 28, 2007.

1. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

UPDATE: The new 'new' lol (!) Leopard driver has finally been released and now fully working. Here is the link to the driver [LINK] (driver 3500-4000 series)

For 1480 printer, kdkoto has posted a link to new experimental driver as a temporary fix. You can see that post here.

-----------------------------
    Original thread contents below:

I have searched and there are tons of Lexmark threads but none that's specific to my problem or the new Leopard driver so here we go (sorry long post but trying to explain everything)....

I posted on the Apple discussion forums but people are telling me to remove the PDE folder which doesn't work for me and besides its a new Leopard specific driver now it really should work and now it's driving me crazy.

What I've done is when I first got my MBP it came with Tiger. I installed my printer (Lexmark X4580) absolutely fine. It's a Wifi printer and I can scan and print wirelessly... it was great. I upgraded to Leopard. Printer disappeared from the printer list. Tried to install it, drivers installed OK, the printer was unable to add to the printer list, pls try again, I did, same thing and repeat and so on etc. I had upgraded to Leopard by doing the 'upgrade' way so I rolled back to Tiger and did put the printer on again. It went on absolutely fine again. So I upgraded to Leopard doing the Archive and Install method.

After that was done, same thing. Printer was gone from the list so I tried again with the driver (bearing in mind this was the Tiger driver). Didn't work so I started googling the net. People were saying to try and add it manually I did that via IP address and pointing to the drivers but it would just crash instantly so I gave up for a while and waited for the 'Leopard driver' to come out.

So I waited and it came out on the 21st. Tried it and got the EXACT same error. Here are screencaps of the errors..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I went back to the thread posting it doesn't work. Tried to add it while plugged into the USB. It kind of recognised but crashed again. They told me to remove the jplugin (or something) file. Did that but still crashed with next file error, so they told me to remove the PDE folder but said if I do that it will work plugged into USB but limited functionality. Thing is, I don't want that I want FULL functionality. I paid for the printer and they have released a Leopard driver. I can't understand why it won't work. I'm getting really cheesed off (understatement) with it but I cannot afford to buy another printer right now. Ugh.

Anyone out there that has any help that will restore full functionality?

2. snolan macrumors newbie

Damn it. I wish I read this before I bought this model. I've dealing with the same exact issue. The printer will not add to the printer list. I downloaded the lastet installer from Lexmark's site for Leapord. I tried using the wireless setup wizard and it found my network name but when I try to add my password it won't let me continue. Now I set the printer up for 2 windows laptops with ease. No issues at all. Why does the mac have to be such a pain?

Well, let me know if you get it to work.

-Sean

3. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's so very frustrating isn't it? I have emailed Lexmark and awaiting a reply. I'm not holding my breath though since they seem to think their Leopard driver probably works.

I don't think it's Apple by releasing Leopard, I think it's Lexmarks problem. As they haven't fixed their driver installer like other printer companies would have.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Lexmark seems a bit slow on their uptake to leopard and kinda half-hearted in the support of the Mac OS. I have an X5470 that still does not have an updated driver last time I check, which prompted me to buy an HP C6250 and leave the Lexmark on a windows machine elsewhere on my home network.

5. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you have the same issue I am where it won't add to the printer list with your different model Lexmark? If so, I doubt that the new Leopard driver will fix it, especially since the Leopard driver I have does nothing in that respect. I hope they fix it. Seems silly to release a 'Leopard' driver that doesn't work, unless it's just me *shrug*

I'd love to buy a new Wifi printer but I just can't afford to right now.

6. kdkotu macrumors newbie

I have the very same issue with a Lexmark Z1480. I had two lengthy tech support conversations where they had me jumping through hoops, trying everything to get their drivers to work. Finally the Tech Support guy gave up and passed it onto his supervisor. Two days later, and still no word from them.

I'm also using the latest driver that was supposed to fix the issue.

7. snolan macrumors newbie

Well I finally got the USB part to work by taking out the plugins out of the PDE folder. Funny that their plugins make applications crash.

I'll call Lexmark support too and add to their list of people complaining about their driver support ;).

8. kdkotu macrumors newbie

I spoke to Tech Support again last night and got a bit further. They are now admitting that their drivers are broken and will be releasing a patch. I constantly pushed the guy for a rough idea of the release date, and when he eventually diverted from script he admitted he didn't have access to that information, which considering the time of year is fair enough. He said to 'keep a constant eye on the website.' So, I'm guessing it could be sooner rather than later.

9. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I accidentally purchased an X4580 at PC World the other day; to cut a long story short I've been looking to buy an X4850 for some time now, when I walked into the store and saw what I thought was the printer I was after advertised at £59.99 I thought that they'd made a big mistake and that I was about to get the bargain of the Century, but blinded by my excitement I neglected to double check the model number.

I walked out feeling pretty pleased with myself and surprised that I didn't have an argument with the cashier, but when I got home I checked the internet because it all felt a little too good to be true, and it was obviously. It turned out that the X4580 doesn't support Vista which I needed it to do so I didn't even get as far as checking it's compatibility with Leopard.

Sorry I know this is going slightly off topic but I couldn't resist when I saw the title!

10. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes weird that isn't it? Thanks for going to call them. The more the merrier to complain and get them moving their butts :)

Wow thanks ever so much for posting this and sharing. I'm glad they've admitted it. Pity he couldn't say when. I understand with the time of the year and all but Lexmark are really slow on the update and should have thoroughly tested their new driver without releasing the one that doesn't work. Again, thank you for letting me know. If you spot the new driver/patch at all, please do let me know.

Oh dear. Although this Lexmark you accidentally bought does in fact work with Vista. I have a Vista laptop and it works fine on that. The driver is on their website for Vista though ;) Good luck

11. MST macrumors 6502

MST

Oh really?! I could have swarn that I read somewhere [possibly on the Lexmark website] that it isn't compatible, it's no matter as it wasn't the one I wanted anyway. Why is it that wifi printers are restricted to Lexmark and the odd Canon, you would think that they'd be all be wifi as standard.

Good luck with your drivers ;)

12. mindcrash macrumors member

mindcrash

See this thread on the Apple Discussion Forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1236974&start=0&tstart=0

It looks like the link to the updated driver is wrong and you end up downloading the old driver that installs the printer in Tiger. Apparently they're trying to fix this, but I wouldn't hold your breath. It seems that updating a download link is an incredibly complicated process for Lex "We'll make sure your next printer is HP" Mark.

In the mean time I guess I'll just continue booting up XP via VMWare to print anything.

13. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting. I had actually posted in that thread before you linked me here but as I can see it's moved on a heck of a lot now and a new driver has been put on, yet Lexmark can't even get the download link right (URL invalid). Ugh c'mon Lexmark!

14. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just had a chat with Lexmark live chat and got this...

[Andrew] Welcome to Lexmark Chat Support.
    [Andrew] Hi Lisa.
    [Andrew] Are you trying to download the MAC drivers.
    [Lisa] Hello, trying to download the Lexmark X4580 Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) driver but says URL invalid (see here: http://www.downloaddelivery.com/downloads/cpd/3500-4500_Series_Web_Installer_LPD.dmg)
    [Andrew] Please click on this link
    ftp://ftp.lexmark.com/driver/inkjet_drivers/MAC/ and download the MAC driver.
    [Andrew] Is there anything else I may help you with today?
    [Lisa] can you hang on a sec just while I find it before you go?
    [Andrew] Sure.
    [Lisa] OK I got it, but what does this do exactly?
    [Andrew] Please Run that Patch which will install the Leopard driver on your computer.
    [Lisa] lovely, thank you ever so much.
    [Andrew] Please complete the chat survey by clicking on the "End" tab, with overall 5 being the best, as this will help us to better our service.
    [Andrew] Thanks for contacting us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of further assistance. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
    [Lisa] Just 1 more Q, how do I set the printer up for Wifi printing, this just installed a driver
    [Lisa] I've installed the patch but still states "no printer selected" and there is still no printers in my prnter list
    [Andrew] Lisa, The above MAC driver is only used to connect the Printer using the USB Cable.
    [Andrew] If you want to install the printer using WIFI you need to wait for few days as we are programming on the Updated drivers which will work on WIFI.
    [Lisa] Oh right. On the Lexmark site it says there is a new Leopard installer but the URL is invalid
    [Andrew] Once they are ready, they will be on the Internet for download.
    [Lisa] Oh ok
    [Andrew] I apologize for the in convenience caused due to this.
    [Andrew] Is there anything else I may help you with today?
    [Lisa] No, that's all thanks. I hope to see the new installer for Leopard on soon. Thanks again
    [Andrew] Please complete the chat survey by clicking on the "End" tab, with overall 5 being the best, as this will help us to better our service.
    [Andrew] Thanks for contacting us. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of further assistance. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
    Send Message:

15. kdkotu macrumors newbie

I've downloaded the 1.0.6 leopard driver for the 1480 and nothing seems to work. I've deleted the Lexmark folder, booted in safe mode, tried installing it first as usb then trying to print wirelessly, with no luck what-so-ever :(

The file information says it was released July 10 2007! and the information about it says it's for 10.4 or 10.3

Unbelievable!

16. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

This happened to us to with the x4580 (well anyone from 3500-4000 series). They had a 'Leopard' driver up but it wasn't a Leopard driver it was the Tiger driver.

If you contact them via Live Chat they will probably tell you they're working on it. All I can say is.. complain complain complain! From what I can tell on the Apple forum, tons and tons of people have complained about the 3500-4000 series driver which is probably why it has been fixed quickly.

Best of luck with your driver. I hope they update your driver link to the actual driver very soon.

17. kdkotu macrumors newbie

18. snolan macrumors newbie

WooHoo :). So I just downloaded the latest drivers and the patch(thanks for the link Lisa) and I got the lexmark(x4580) to print WIRELESS from the mac running Leopard 10.5. No application crashes so far.

Anyways, just an FYI.

-Sean

19. kdkotu macrumors newbie

I got my 1480 working!

I noticed on another forum that someone had been given a link to some development drivers for a different model here

http://www.lexmarklabs.com/mac/beta/3500-4500SeriesInstaller.dmg

so I guessed a new filename for my printer...

http://www.lexmarklabs.com/mac/beta/1400SeriesInstaller.dmg

It found the file and downloaded it, lucky!

I uninstalled using the uninstaller, deleted the PPD files and the Lexmark folder.

Rebooted, installed the new driver, it nagged about being older(!) but I let it run anyway, and it installed without any glitches.

I hope this helps anybody still having problems :)

20. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great news!! :D

Great news. I'll edit my top post with an update and link to drivers so people don't have to go through the posts to find the new driver :)

21. kulster macrumors newbie

I just got my X4850 by following kdkotu's advice and downloading from the beta site! I uninstalled, and then reinstalled using the new one, and my X4850 is now wireless printing enabled .. Woohoo! :)

Here's the link:

http://www.lexmarklabs.com/mac/beta/4800SeriesInstaller.dmg

Thanks to everyone here, all the information has been very useful!!

K

22. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your printer comes under the 3500-4000 series same as mine though (mine is x4580) and therefore the official Leopard driver is now out there and working under Wifi now. See above for link.

Although I don't suppose this matters if you'v got wireless printing now lol. Great news.

23. kdkotu macrumors newbie

Great idea!