Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Hi, my new Lexmark printer refuses to communicate with any version of Leopard that I've used (I'm now at 10.5.3). First off, the printer setup utility has disappeared from Leopard, which is annoying, but the printer can be added over USB (it's also wireless but is not seen) from System Preferences, or any app by hitting Add Printers. Once added, however, the printer somehow crashes every program that tries to print. Installing Lexmark's own software ends with a message that reads something like "The software has been installed but the printer has not been added to the list" which is bizarre and frustrating. Using Lexmark's website, I've tried erasing the supplied drivers, then re-installing off the boot disks, to no avail. Does anyone have any fixes for this? Cheers

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... Installing Lexmark's own software ends with a message that reads something like "The software has been installed but the printer has not been added to the list" which is bizarre and frustrating. ...
It is not bizarre at all. After you install the driver, then you setup the printer.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Any update on this?

We just bought a Lexmark x9575 and while printing from the USB is a breeze, the main reason we bought it for, wireless printing, does not work at all.

I can detect the printer in System Preferences, but when trying to print it says that it is offline.

If I try to install the newest Lexmark Drivers and run the install program, it then asks to detect the printer via WiFi, but through that installation pain, it can't see the printer on the network.

Thoughts?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Any update on this?

We just bought a Lexmark x9575 and while printing from the USB is a breeze, the main reason we bought it for, wireless printing, does not work at all.

I can detect the printer in System Preferences, but when trying to print it says that it is offline.

If I try to install the newest Lexmark Drivers and run the install program, it then asks to detect the printer via WiFi, but through that installation pain, it can't see the printer on the network.

Thoughts?
TBH, it was never my printer, I was just asking on behalf of a friend. Are you on Leopard or SL? I can't remember their solution: they either printed by USB until there were Leopard drivers, or returned it. Let me know ...
EDIT
Turns out after checking with my friend he found an unofficial, consumer created driver for Leopard. If you'd like I can inquire further about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.