Lexmark z517 (510 series) - Still no drivers in SL?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Superconductor, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Superconductor macrumors newbie

I have a Lexmark z517. Ever since Snow Leopard, I haven't been able to get it to work on my Macbook. The drivers don't show up on any of the lists. Is there anything I can do?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The latest from Lexmark is this one:

http://support.lexmark.com/index?pa...oductCode=LEXMARK_Z517&searchid=1257634138714

They site 10.4 and below as compatible versions. You can give it a shot, but it may not work properly. I really don't see Lexmark going back and redoing this for Snow Leopard considering they didn't note 10.5 compatibility.

That said, they did update the driver on 8/23/2009, five days before the release of Snow Leopard. So it may in fact work, but they simply didn't update the page.

3. Superconductor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I tried those. It crashes halfway through installation. Thanks for the advice though.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You don't have to run through the installed to get the driver.

Follow these steps:

1. Mount the DMG
    2. Right click on the Install and select: Show Package Contents
    3. Navigate to: Contents/Packages
    4. Right click on the 510 Series Driver.pkg and select: Show Package Contents
    5. Navigate to: Contents/Resources
    6. Double click on the Archive.pax.gz
    7. It will unzip to your Downloads folder (you should be taken there in Finder)
    8. You now have the driver for the 510 Series, it is named 510SeriesPM.plugin
    9. Copy that file (Command + C)
    10. Navigate to /Library/Printers
    11. If there is a Lexmark folder , open it, if not create it (Command + Shift + N)
    12. Paste the driver into the Lexmark Folder.

If this is too much, download the zip I am linking to, it includes the driver and start at step 9.

At step 4, you could simply run that package and see if it will install.

I do not know if the rest of the things are needed, I do not think they are. The .plugin contains the PDEs and the necessary data.

I will tell you that this driver is different than how other currently work since 10.5. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to navigate to the driver manually when setting up the printer.

If you have any questions let me know.

http://tinyurl.com/y9et5xq

5. Superconductor thread starter macrumors newbie

I created the Lexmark folder, put the driver in there and tried to open it manually through the Add Printer/Fax, and I can select it, but it just does nothing and I can't click the "add" button.

When I try to run the .pkg itself, it says there's a newer version of the software on the disk itself.
    :confused:

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I honestly don't think SL will use this driver type. That was my hunch, but I think you have confirmed it. Let me do some more digging.

EDIT: All my support docs suggest that Snow Leopard will only recognize PPD driver types. Typically they are in the format xxxx.gz and are located in /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources. When you install the printer a copy of the PPD is placed in /etc/cups/ppd. I can find no evidence that you can this driver type in SL.

I think you are going to have to wait for Lexmark. I would submit a request to them.

7. Superconductor thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, ******. Well thanks anyways for all your help.