Lexus and iPhone 4s (text and Siri)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brn2rnjk1, Oct 25, 2011.

1. brn2rnjk1 macrumors 6502

1. How do you use Siri with a Lexus system (new)
    2. Can you send and listen to texts through the car speakers.

Thanks in advance

2. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

No. The Lexus system is designed for limited functionality with Bluetooth. For example, if you have the 2011 Lexus model year, you can do A2DP bluetooth audio streaming to the stereo. You can use Bluetooth to call. SIRI is not a Bluetooth Function, so it is not going to work with your integrated car audio solution.

However, 3rd party solutions such as the Belkin Aircast Auto do work with Siri, they have designed it to activate your "voice dialing (aka SIRI)" function on the iPhone. They plug into your line in port in the center console, and work nicely with SIRI, you just have to make sure your stereo is on "Line" when you want to hear SIRI talking to you through the speakers.

For example, on the Belkin, this is how you activate it:
    Make a call using voice-dialing:
    • If your phone supports voice-dialing, press and hold the Blue Belkin button until you hear your phone prompt for a command (about one second) .

3. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I assume same if i plug the iphone into the USB adapter.

4. duyvan82 macrumors member

the iPhone 4s is not compatible with Lexus's EMV, my IS250 2011 is unable to detect an iPhone 4s plugged in the USB port :(

5. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yeah, there's an issue with either iOS 5 or iPhone 4/4s being plugged into USB ports on vehicles.. Even Ford announced that with there Ford SYNC system that if you plug the iPhone into the USB port it'll freeze and lockup the SYNC system which the only way to fix is you'll have to reinstall SYNC..

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

On my vehicles I've found that using the USB interface works, but limits the capabilities. For example when plugged into USB I must make all music selections from the radio, if I try on the phone it just brings up a screen saying "Accessory connected" or some such.

Instead of using the USB interface, I have both cars set up to use Bluetooth for all audio (including music) and I just have the phone plugged into a cigarette cord for power. This lets me use voice command for selecting playlists, etc. and presumably (when my 4S arrives) Siri.

7. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Please report back on Siri. I use the USB interface and can get the touchscreen to recognize it.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Can you get the current voice functions on the iPhone 4 to work? e.g. "Play songs by Bob Dylan", or "Play more songs like this"? If not, then Siri definitely won't work for you. They do work for me (Parrot MKi9200 in one car, JVC aftermarket radio w/ Bluetooth in the other) so "hopefully" Siri will be fine. 2-3 weeks expected delivery before I'll know for sure :(