LF Advice on a MBP that fits my needs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nhood01, Apr 16, 2010.

1. nhood01 macrumors member

Oct 26, 2009
    For the most part, all i do on computers is run Adobe creative suite and a few other graphics apps, surf the web, view media, and play games. (just World of Warcraft right now, but i might run more graphic intensive games when Steam is released). In Adobe Ps i periodically work with files in upwards of 1 GB.

Im looking to buy a MBP. Im not sure which model will suffice.

Im not too hot on dropping 1.7 K on a 15" i5 model. The 13" looks enticing, but its processors seem like quite a step down from the 15", 17" models. I'm a little sad to see a C2D rather than an i3 in the 13", but i understand there are underlying issues between NVIDIA and Intel that prevent this. However, there is a noteworthy step up from the previous gen 13".

When it comes right down to it, i don't care about running a C2D as long as it will be enough for my computing needs.

Furthermore, i could save a bit more $ and go with a previous gen 13" or 15" if they are powerful enough.

Here are some of the options i'm looking at:

(Previous gen. perhaps gen before last. not 100% sure)

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Illuminated keyboard

(April 2010 model)

13-inch: 2.4GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB Memory
    250GB hard drive1
    SD card slot
    Built-in battery (10 hours)2
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Lastly, do you think it would be worth while to drop 300 $ to buy an Intel SSD to put into either of those two (more so for the 13" since its 1,100)? There is no TRIM support for OSX but a SSD @ 50% speed is still WAY faster than the highest RPM HD's and will give me a very snappy computer.

Let me hear your opinion.
  2. nhood01 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 26, 2009
  3. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    Okay, for your usage, either one will suffice; the updated 2.4GHz model would be my choice here because not only is it cheaper, it also has a better GPU; the 133MHz clock difference is negligible here.

However as you have mentioned, the 15" does have a faster processor; even the 2.4GHz i7 is faster than the older 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, so that's something to definitely consider. The high-resolution anti glare is also an option, but that adds even more to your purchase… just food for thought.

Going back to the Intel SSD you mentioned, yes it is a good choice; however it does not run at only 50%; in fact new it runs at 100%, over time because Intel has have its maintenance mechanism (not TRIM related), you will not see much of a performance drop over time. If you really want, you can run a Secure Erase once every 6 months or so. Erase takes about 90 seconds to zero-out everything and then restore from a Time Machine backup in about 20 minutes or so.

Good luck.