LF Best Maintenance/Antivirus Combo Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NeovitaMMX, Mar 8, 2011.

1. NeovitaMMX macrumors newbie

I need help finding the best software for OSX that I can run and it will clean my mac of files I don't need, boost performance, search for both windows and mac viruses and eradicate them, and spyware. Something besides Semantic products. I know how to help maintain my macs but I want something a bit more in depth, and also acts as virus/spyware scanning. Let me know what you all use! Thanks!:cool:

27" iMac Intel Core 2 duo | iPod First gen | iPhone 4 | Macbook Air 13" (2011)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use nothing for any of that
    I see no need

But you can try Onyx for maintenance (not needed)

And ClamXav and Sophos for scanning for Windows viruses, etc.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
    You don't need to "clean" your Mac, as it doesn't come with bloatware like Windows does. If you've installed a lot of apps, even that won't reduce performance unless such apps are actually running. There's nothing you need to do to make your Mac run efficiently.

4. NeovitaMMX thread starter macrumors newbie

We ALL know macs get hampered down with files and things that slow it down. Permissions being one of them. Not to say I don't do monthly permission repairs but you're saying any application that performs similar maintenance/deleting of temp files/etc wouldn't "help" keep the computer running smoothly?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Files don't slow down any computer; they only take up space on a hard drive. Installed apps don't slow down a computer, either, unless they're running. There really is nothing you need to do to make your Mac run well. You only need to repair permissions if you have a specific problem that requires a repair.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In my experience, repairing permissions is pretty much overrated
    I'm not saying it doesn't have its place
    But it isn't a cure all by any means