LF IP traffic throttling advice from skilled network admin

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andyfallondev, Jan 11, 2009.

1. andyfallondev macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am looking for some advice from some pro network admins / elite type users.

I have some specific problems I am trying to address and could use a pointer in the right direction in terms of what software to get.

a) I'm looking for any software suite / program, MAC or PC, which can enable me to detect TRAFFIC on MY OWN network, and possibly correlate that traffic with known port numbers to create a graph / picture / etc of WHAT KIND of traffic a specific IP address / interface is transacting.

The purpose of this is to attempt to pinpoint how much torrenting / limewire / etc is going on on my network, and from what computers.

b) Any advice on any wireless router brand / model that enables IP / computer based bandwidth throttling such that I can clamp down on people who leech and drive my ping times through the roof.

This is a home network, college residence with approx 10 different users on the network. I have full control over the cable modem and the router. It is a consumer model (netgear) with limited configuration options, but very good wireless reception.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

2. andyfallondev thread starter macrumors newbie

Aww...no ideas for routers that enable IP/MAC based bandwidth limitations? Or software that lets you map who is doing what on your lan?

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

get an old computer which you can setup as a router, allowing you to have more control over your network with something like endian which has ntop installed