LG 2019 TVs to Gain HomeKit and AirPlay 2 Support Starting July 25 [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Television maker LG says that updates will soon arrive that make HomeKit and AirPlay 2 available on supported TVs.

LG's Australian support account on Twitter responded to a customer query by revealing that the updates would start rolling out to users in one week, which points to next Monday as the earliest possible arrival.

Users will need to be running iOS 12.4 on their iPhones and iPads in order to take advantage of these features.

Once the updates are installed, users will be able to beam photos, videos, and music from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to the LG TV, similar to how the Apple TV works.

Homekit is releasing in 1 week. Users require iOS 12.4 update to do Airplay2.LGA - LG Australia (@LG_Australia) July 23, 2019
HomeKit support will also let users control their television sets using Siri voice commands or the Home app on the iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Siri will be able to be used to do things like play a specific TV show or movie to be AirPlayed to your smart TV.

LG announced in March that new TVs in its 2019 lineup, which launched in April, would support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit later this year. LG's 2019 lineup includes screen sizes ranging from 55 inches to 77 inches.

All of the LG OLED, NanoCell SM9X, NanoCell SM8X, and UHD UM7X television sets from 2019 will work with Apple's services according to Apple's HomeKit website.

Update: LG has since announced that AirPlay 2 and HomeKit will begin rolling out to owners of 2019 LG OLED, NanoCell, and UHD TVs in more than 140 countries starting July 25, with the update continuing over the weeks to follow.

Article Link: LG 2019 TVs to Gain HomeKit and AirPlay 2 Support Starting July 25 [Updated]

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Anybody know who owns this data? Does it go straight to Apple and bypass LG? Or does all communication go to LG first and they then send it to Apple? (Or both?)

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
That’s so generous of LG to allow users the option to supply LG with more data. I sure hope this helps improve the relevancy of home screen ads on my $6000 TV.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
I had an E6 and I now have a C8. There is absolutely no logical reason for LG to not provide these updates (and other basic apps for that matter) to these models. I get there are some business arrangements in place, but this doesn't seem to be a problem for any other major manufacturer. And certainly they're not going to entice their own customers to replace the $4,000 television they bought last year with a new one just for these features.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

originalmagneto

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
They tend to offer a pretty solid support.

Wouldn’t rule out a later release (so it wont interfere with the sales of their newer models).
After they have met their sales target, they will release 2018 and I hope 2017 updates that will, at least, integrate HomeKit, if not airplay 2.

I base this solely on my personal experience, where im running a custom homebridge server on my rPI3 and have added HomeKit support that way (it runs great on my B7 OLED).

Btw., the 2017 and low end 2018 models (with weaker processors) wont be getting AirPlay 2 IMO because of the processing power required (h265 etc.).

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
I think it’s a bunch of bs of AND Samsung won’t release these updates to TVs that have been out at least for the last 4 years. Unless there’s some technical limitation I’m unaware of? Maybe it’s just a limitation called “greed”.

At least with Samsung they went with 2 years back in updates. Lg it was only TVs made this year

konqerror

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2013
Wouldn’t rule out a later release (so it wont interfere with the sales of their newer models).
After they have met their sales target, they will release 2018 and I hope 2017 updates that will, at least, integrate HomeKit, if not airplay 2.

I base this solely on my personal experience, where im running a custom homebridge server on my rPI3 and have added HomeKit support that way (it runs great on my B7 OLED).
You should base your opinions on the hard fact that in the five year history of WebOS TVs, LG has not once upgraded the core OS of previous year models.

The only thing they ever did to add new features was that the 2014 (first year) models got UI, but not OS, tweaks to match 2015.

Last edited:

iDento

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I won’t give a ****, not that I don’t care about HomeKit but if I start caring I will need to replace my 4,000$ TV each couple of years because they won’t get updates, never. Apple should add support for HomeKit in Apple TV and give LG & Samsung the middle finger, or make a TV god dammit.

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Should totally support earlier models then that. Hopefully they will at some point. At least I have youtube, Netflix and amazon prime apps on the TV though which is my main use.

RomanEmpire

macrumors member
May 29, 2018
Vienna
I won’t give a ****, not that I don’t care about HomeKit but if I start caring I will need to replace my 4,000$ TV each couple of years because they won’t get updates, never. Apple should add support for HomeKit in Apple TV and give LG & Samsung the middle finger, or make a TV god dammit.
As far as I know, Apple is adding support for Homekit and scenes for Apple TV with iOS13.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDento

AJClayton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
On the one hand it's good that LG are providing support for this, however on the downside for the very many of us who spent a not insignificant amount of money on a nice new LG TV in the recent past, this is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Yes, newer models will have a better processor, however what we're talking about is very likely to be possible with the hardware in models from at least 2016 onwards. I have a 2017 model and will feel pretty disappointed if this update doesn't get rolled out to my set at some point. It'll certainly make me think twice before buying an LG when I come to upgrade at some point in the future.